Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Louise Yui Sannomiya: 09/16/2030, 17:05

♪ BGM: Looming Crisis

Salyu! Where are you!?
Salyu!

They called out Salyu's name to find her. Not much time had passed since Watase had encountered her around here. But if Watase had gotten away from her here, then there was no telling when they'd find her. And with that thought in mind, Natsuhiko searched around Area 3.

But they couldn't find her.

Crap, where is she...?
Maybe she went to another area...

But not a moment after they whispered that-- they heard her voice.

Natsuhiko!

♪ BGM: Words of Healing

Salyu!!
Ahh... I finally found you...!

Salyu smiled in relief and dashed towards Natsuhiko.

Gwoh!!

Salyu's small head sank into Natsuhiko's solar plexus. But Salyu paid no attention and just kept nuzzling her head against him.

I-It's okay... I'm a little roughed up, but I'm alive.
Now that you mention it, how did you get here with those injuries?
Oh, I borrowed Yuuri's shoulder--
Huh...!?

Apparently Salyu hadn't noticed Yuuri's presence until then. Salyu took along hard look at her before murmuring in confusion.

'Yuuri'...? Your childhood friend?
Y-yes.
...I am confused. The professor told me Yuuri died nine years ago. And that you've been seeing a phantom of her ever since.
Oh, I see... Of course Mom would have you play along with my madness. But Yuuri was actually alive. For nine whole years, she's been trapped in this facility just like we are now.
...!?

His explanation only seemed to make Salyu more and more confused.

(... I guess it's understandable. I mean, it confused the hell out of me too.)

That was what Natsuhiko was thinking-- but immediately afterwards, Salyu said something completely unexpected.

Yuuri...
Wh... what is it?
I feel... like I've seen you somewhere before...
Huh!?

Natsuhiko gasped. Even if she had heard about the phantom issue, Salyu shouldn't have been familiar with Yuuri's appearance, so how--!?

Wh-what do you mean!? Have you met before!?
It might be my imagination, but... when I saw Yuuri, I felt somehow nostalgic...
Wait... have you met her before, Yuuri?
N-no. I think it's just your imagination.
...?
Since Hikorin's talked to you about me before, it just doesn't feel like this is the first time you've met me, that's all. Does that sound about right, Salyu?
Mmm... That's probably it. I haven't come across you today, either. And besides, the professor showed me a picture of you from nine years ago. It's probably because I saw that.
Right... So allow me to introduce myself again.

Ignoring the perplexed Natsuhiko, Yuuri spoke to Salyu.

Nice to meet you, Salyu. I've heard a lot about you from Hikorin. You want to see Mashiron, don't you? She's in Area 5, so we'll take you to her.
O-Okay.

Yuuri took Salyu by the hand and began to walk.

Then I'll carry Natsuhiko.
O-okay, thanks.

He felt a little ashamed at having such a small girl carry him, but he didn't want to waste time debating it. So Natsuhiko quickly accepted the offer.

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 2

Salyu, are you okay? You don't feel bad anywhere?
You mean because of the radiation?
...Y-yeah.
I am fine. I injected AD about 40 minutes ago, so it should still be effective. My head hurts a little, but it's nowhere near as bad as last time.

That was probably because the WX particle energy levels were decreasing even in Area N. And then Natsuhiko suddenly remembered something.

Ah... hold on a second.

Natsuhiko spoke up and got down from Salyu's back.

What is the matter?
Is there a problem...?
Well, Yuuri--

Natsuhiko gave Yuuri an eye signal and sent her telepathy.

{I want to check if Salyu's infected with malice or not, just to be completely sure.}
{Huh?}

Yuuri's face froze at that message.

{Even if Salyu's under the influence of AD, BC should probably still work on her in here, right? I think we should do it while we've got the chance.}

Area N had a reading of over 15000 mSv just two hours ago. So the reading was probably still over 4000 mSv. But Yuuri frantically shook her head.

And once more, we have the question of ''do we want to run a deep memory check or not'', except this time, Yuuri is the one that's against it. However, that doesn't really change that we're going to be going in for the full story.

{I do. But what's scary about that malice is that you aren't aware of it yourself, right?}

Natsuhiko's thought was that they should just do it to make sure nothing was wrong, considering everything that could go wrong.

{Hmm... then let's just check to see if there are any ''floral-scented memories'' or not. That's all we need to do to know if she's infected with malice or not.}
(...?)

For some reason, Yuuri was being almost uncharacteristically obstinate.

(What...? Why's Yuuri so against the idea of diving through Salyu's memories? Is there some sort of connection between Salyu and Yuuri...?)

Once he pondered that question, suddenly-- A vision of what he saw from within Ena's memory flashed before his eyes.

As well as a vision of the day Salyu transferred in.

(...!!? Communicator A and Salyu are both from Andresy...!?)

(Huh... what...? What's the meaning of this?)

He didn't understand the reason why, but he had a feeling it had something to do with Yuuri's odd behavior. Since Communicator A spent the last year of her life inside LABO--

{H-hold on a second, Yuuri... There's something you know about Salyu that I don't, isn't there!?}
{...!}
{Is there some sort of reason we shouldn't dive into Salyu's memories!?}
{N-no. It's just... we don't have time...}

Yuuri fell silent. Salyu then interrupted.

Uh, well...

It was too hard to explain, so Natsuhiko just gave a noncommittal answer.

It's just... there's something we need to do... and so Yuuri and I were discussing it via telepathy.
Telepathy? Yuuri's a Communicator too?
Y-yes, I am.
So can you use telepathy, and empathy, and...?
Just those two... well, there aren't any other BC abilities besides those two, right?
I see...

Right after she said that-- Salyu took a deep breath.

...I've solved the mystery.
Huh...?
Actually, it's been bothering me a little. There are too many unnatural points about my past. There are very few details in it despite there being 13 years worth of content. Don't you think so too, Natsuhiko?
Y-yeah...

True, Natsuhiko did find it somewhat bizarre that her parents wouldn't let their daughter out of the house at all, but--

...What about it?
I finally know the answer to the reason why that is.

Salyu gazed at Yuuri and spoke.

Yuuri-- You manipulated my memories, didn't you?
--Wh... what?

Natsuhiko doubted his ears.

S-she manipulated your memories...!? Wh-when!? Wait, hold on, have you two even met before!?

Thoroughly confused, Natsuhiko looked to Yuuri. But she did not look particularly surprised.

...Salyu, you remember?
...Just a little bit. When I saw your face, it sparked a memory. A memory of September 9th, the day before I met Natsuhiko. The keyword 'memory manipulation'. Area Zero. Your room-- I don't remember the details, but... I feel like I owe an irreparable debt to you.

Salyu's words confused Natsuhiko even further.

Y-Yuuri... is what Salyu's saying... true?

Upon hearing that question, Yuuri nodded in resignation.

...Yes. The truth is... I have falsified Salyu's memory once before.
Why...!?
There was no other way. There were things she needed to forget for her own sake...
Yuuri, can you return those memories back to normal?
I can, but... You might be better off not knowing, you know...?
That's why I manipulated your memories in the first place, Salyu. Knowledge of the truth might do nothing but sadden you. Are you sure you want to know?

Salyu answered Yuuri's question on the spot.

It does not bother me. Please restore my memory. I want to know the truth. I'd take that over living a lie.

Natsuhiko pondered as he heard that statement. She was exactly right. Averting your eyes from the truth meant you could not move forward. Salyu needed to know the truth in the same way he did...

Then... should I leave it up to just you to dive into Salyu's memories this time, Yuuri?
...No, I want you to see too, Natsuhiko.
Huh?
I have a vague feeling of what the details of my memories are... so I want to let you see them too. And, if you don't mind... I want you to support me.
...!

Salyu's honest words pierced Natsuhiko in the heart.

...Hikorin, I want you to join in too. I want you to see what it is I've done... I want you to see our past.
All... all right.

Natsuhiko nodded at those words. And thus, hand in hand with Yuuri-- he tried using Senses Sympathy.