Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Watchers: 09/10/2030, 16:30

She heard the sound of a car engine. And eventually, she heard the professor's voice as well.

...Mmm...
We're here.
...I see.

Once Salyu answered, the car stopped.

Let's get off now.

♪ BGM: Quiet Days of Rokumei City

A gentle breeze caressed Salyu's cheek. The professor stood next to her and spoke.

You slept well.
...I had a dream.
A dream?
Yes, a dream. Of when I was at home in France... Those barren, ashen days. ...Nothing had happened, but it felt like a very sad dream.
Don't worry, Yui. There's no need for you to return to that estate anymore. Starting today, you live here in Rokumei City.

Salyu had heard that her parents and the professor had held a discussion. They concluded that Salyu would temporarily be put under the custody of the professor and live in her hometown.

I'm sorry that you have to live in an unfamiliar land, but I don't think you'll feel uncomfortable here.
But there's something I have to do, isn't there?
Good, you remembered.
Of course. More importantly, I want you to go over my role again.
Your role here is to protect my son, Natsuhiko Tenkawa.
From what?
From all kinds of malicious intent. Lately, this town's public order has been going bad... Though it might still be better compared to how it was a long in the past.
What happened in the past?
There were anti-BC demonstrations and anti-Communicator persecution even in a city like this. Afterwards, Communicator residences were the target of direct destructive activity. And the targeted homes were partially destroyed... and some people even died.
Oh. But it looks like such a peaceful city.
It took 16 years for it to get this far, though. But not even the strongest fortification can guarantee perfect safety. This town has several holes. As a Rank S Aptitude Communicator, Natsuhiko is at a higher risk of danger than other Communicators. But I cannot stay with him at all times... So I want you to protect Natsuhiko for me, Yui.
Roger.
Thank you. Now, there's one key thing you need to know. Due to childhood trauma, Natsuhiko keeps seeing a phantom of his childhood friend who died. Her name was 'Yuuri Kotono'.
Yuuri... Kotono...

For some reason, hearing that name made Salyu feel nostalgic. Indeed, the professor had talked to her about this topic before.

When you speak with Natsuhiko, he might suddenly bring up that girl's name-- But don't touch on the subject. Just gently leave it alone.
I already understand the information concerning Yuuri Kotono. I intend to handle the subject with the utmost care.
Yes, I have high expectations.

The professor gently spoke. But Salyu did not understand what those expectations actually were. She was extremely poor at judging what was on people's minds based on facial expression and tone of voice.

...I really am anxious after all. I can't understand other people's minds or other forms of any worldly common sense. Can someone like me properly care for your son?
I thought you might say that, so I prepared a present for you.

And with that, the professor took something out of the car trunk.

...A stuffed animal?
Not just any stuffed animal. This is an Atmosphere Reading Mascot System, or 'ARMS' for short. Its featured functionality is to give you estimates of emotions based on facial expression, speech, and conduct. It should serve as an important guide to help you live in the outside world.

And with that explanation, the professor handed the so-called ARMS device to Salyu. A single thought ran through Salyu's head as she looked it over carefully.

(Cute...)

The soft texture of its fur was pleasant to touch. She hadn't had an interest in such things before then, but for some reason, she really took a liking to it.

If you point ARMS' eyes towards someone's face, it will automatically scan their facial expression. And if ARMS cries happily, that person is happy. In addition to facial expressions, it's also able to analyze voices and behavior. It's quite good at forming judgments.

ARMS cried when the professor said that.

Alice: Kyuuu!!
It cried happily... Professor, does that mean you're happy right now?
Yes. I'm happy because you seem to be happy too.
...Useful.
That's great. Looks like it's to your liking.

The professor smiled and continued talking.

Now then, there's a hotel nearby. You and I are staying there tonight.
We're not going to your house, Professor?
I think you might be bewildered at such a sudden change in environment... so let's acclimatize you gradually.

And with that declaration, the professor took Salyu by the hand and began walking.

Once she saw a crowd of people larger than any she'd seen back home, Salyu's body began to tremble.

(It's kind of... scary...) ...Um, Professor, are we at the hotel yet?
No, actually, I thought it'd be better to purchase some daily necessities for you at this shopping area first, so--

Right as the professor said that, a voice echoed in Salyu's head.

♪ BGM: Approaching Death

!?

Salyu gasped at the sudden yell.

Professor, what was that?

When Salyu asked her that question-- the professor's face froze.

W... was that...!? It couldn't be-- Natsuhiko!?

The professor looked around in a panic.

Have his abilities finally...!? No, more importantly...!
Um, Professor?
Not good... If the upper brass catches wind of this...

The professor muttered to herself. She seemed so taken aback that she didn't even hear Salyu's words. Soon, the professor's PDA rang. She gasped and picked up.

Yes. This is Tenkawa... Yes, I just perceived it as well. That was probably Special Observation Target Na2's telepathy... What measures? No, that's too hasty! It was only telepathy, you know!? According to the PRC criteria--

The professor seemed to be arguing on the phone with someone. Salyu waited there for a while, but the call continued for 10, then 20 minutes without any sign of stopping.

(Did some sort of problem happen...?)

Salyu didn't understand a thing. Once she had grown bored of waiting, she eventually heard a crowd stirring across the street.

(... I wonder what it is.)

Salyu walked in the direction of the commotion, making sure not to get too far away from the professor.

Apparently there was a motor vehicle accident. A fire engine could be seen approaching from the distance.

(That boy is Dr. Tenkawa's son...?)

That should've been the first time she saw him, yet for some reason, he looked familiar. Had the professor shown her a picture of him before? At that time, he too turned Salyu's way.

Alice: Kyuu kyuu! Kyuu kyuu!

And just then, ARMS started violently squeaking like an alarm bell.

(Oh no, does he see me as hostile...?)

Salyu became frightened again and quickly fled.

♪ BGM: Individualist / Theme of Louise

...Yes. Yes. Understood. Then we'll go with that...

The professor sighed and hung up. Once she noticed Salyu, she spoke to her.

...Sorry about the wait.
Finished with the phone?
...Looks like things are about to get busy, but... I'm okay. Don't worry about me. Please don't mention that phone call just now to Natsuhiko when you meet him, okay?
? ...I don't understand, but okay.
Thank you. Anyway, let's go to the hotel. I'll take care of the shopping later.

The professor grasped Salyu's hand and started walking again. Along the way, Salyu asked the professor a question.

By the way, Professor, back to what we were talking about...
Huh?
The matter about protecting your son. Why choose me for that role? Someone with your position and assets should be able to employ as many capable bodyguards as you'd like. So why choose just me?

The professor quietly answered Salyu's question.

I wanted to give you a role.
...A role?
Yes, a role. It's not just for my son's sake. It's for yours as well. Both Natsuhiko's mind and yours are lacking in some areas. But that's exactly why you can complete each other. I have high hopes for you, Yui. Hopes that you can give Natsuhiko what I cannot. Hopes that Natsuhiko can give you what I cannot.
...? I don't understand.
I know... But I'm sure one day you will. Once you've fulfilled your role, your void will be filled.

The professor spoke with a smile.

(A ''role'', huh...)

She didn't understand why she was so fascinated by something as boring as bodyguard work. But Salyu was aware... that it was something she had longed for.

(I'm not confident I can do it... but I'll try my best.)