Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

The End of the Road: 09/11/2030, 08:10

There, she received an informative lecture on the usage of ARMS and various points of caution relating to her new life. The next morning, Dr. Tenkawa took her from the hotel to the school.

It was a little disheartening to stand in front of the school. Dr. Tenkawa had accompanied her all the way to the school gate, but Salyu was on her own from there on.

As Salyu nervously waited in front of the classroom, she was addressed by the homeroom teacher who greeted her earlier.

Indeed she is. Now then, Ms. Sannomiya, please come in~

Salyu fired herself up and entered the classroom as instructed.

♪ BGM: Quiet Days of Rokumei City

Louise Yui Sannomiya.

--And thus, she somehow managed to handle the hurdle of introducing herself. But Salyu was afraid of the crowd of students in the classroom. And once homeroom ended--

An energetic girl called out to her. The sudden voice startled Salyu. It was ''Mashiro Toba''. She said she wanted to be Salyu's friend.

(... Really? I hope she's not plotting anything.)

Salyu sank into paranoia for a second before suddenly realizing something important: this girl seemed to be that ''friend of Natsuhiko's'' that the professor mentioned. Natsuhiko himself was nearby. In that case, Salyu thought it'd be best for her to make friends with them. Once Salyu agreed to be their friend, Mashiro jumped for joy.

Now, then, what should we call you? Oh, I know! 'Salyu'. How's that!?
Hmm... well, I don't see why not. (Actually... it's a rather beautiful nickname.)

''Salyu'' was pronounced like ''Salut'', which was French for ''hi''.

(A salutation. The beginning of communication... It's like an encouraging boost to my perseverance. I feel like my first contact with them went by pretty well too.)

Salyu was secretly full of joy. And thus began her new life. --But the day's lessons ended before she really had any good opportunities to have a nice and slow conversation with them.

♪ BGM: Individualist / Theme of Louise

She waited by the side of the building for a while and eventually, the professor's car approached and stopped.

Good work today, Yui.
Ah, Professor.
How was your first day at school?
Mmm, I'm tired... but I did establish contact with Natsuhiko and Mashiro.
Good. Just as planned. Were you able to get along with them?
Quite. We're already friends now.
Alice: Kyuu~n...

Suddenly, ARMS cried anxiously.

Professor, you're feeling anxious? Why?
N-no, it's just your imagination...
?

Perhaps even ARMS was capable of making a misjudgment. The professor didn't seem to have anything to be anxious about, in any case.

Anyway, starting from today, you'll be living at my house. Let's head over there. I'm fairly sure that not even that boy will object...
Understood.

But once they had gone to the Tenkawa residence and reunited with Natsuhiko and Mashiro--

♪ BGM: Anxious Times of Rokumei City

(That's strange... Nobody told me to expect this development. But I thought we were already friends. I haven't even touched on the phantom subject.)

But the professor quickly departed, leaving the confused Salyu to her own devices.

Is it a bother for me to live in this house? This isn't what the professor said would happen. She said you guys wouldn't object.

Salyu twitched in fear when she saw that expression on Natsuhiko's face.

(Even someone like me can understand that expression...)

Natsuhiko was mad. And Salyu had a feeling she knew to whom that anger was directed.

(It can't be... Am I... a nuisance...?)

The thought saddened her. The happiness she had finally gained had suddenly withered.

I was sent here to protect you, after all.
Huh...? You... protect me?

Natsuhiko only stared blankly. He didn't seem happy at all.

(He really isn't accepting me... Why does he have to be so cruel to me? I've done nothing wrong...)

Salyu couldn't understand a thing that was on Natsuhiko's mind. --And thus, the first day of Salyu's new life came to an anxious end. She was wondering if things could get worse from there, but--

She went shopping with Natsuhiko and Mashiro and opened her heart to them a little bit... And after Natsuhiko asked her about how they had met at the scene of the accident two days prior, Salyu gathered the courage to tell him about her weakness.

...To be honest, I'm very poor at understanding the nuances of people's emotions and facial expressions. It's thanks to this thing that I can finally communicate properly with people.

That's why I was uneasy about adapting to a new life. But with ARMS, I think I can somehow manage.
...So that's how it was.

Natsuhiko fell silent at Salyu's words for a few moments before timidly speaking up.

Say, Salyu...
What is it?
Umm, well... I'm sorry. I'm sorry for always acting so hostile towards you.
...Mm.

It was still an awkwardly stilted conversation-- but it didn't feel unpleasant at all.

(I've learned something... The key to good communication might be honesty. You should open up your heart and come in contact with others, even if they seem scary.)

That was an epiphany to Salyu.

♪ BGM: Helper / Theme of Mashiro

Okay, thanks for waiting!
W-whoaaah~!!
...Magnificent.

The food was very delicious, but above all else, it was Mashiro's consideration that delighted Salyu.

(She's gentle and she doesn't hide behind a mask... Her speech and conduct match almost perfectly with Alice's judgment. Everything she says seems to be genuine.)

Even though Salyu couldn't understand the minds of others, she felt like she could believe Mashiro unconditionally. Afterwards, they all talked about novels and had a fun time.

--It looked to me like everyone had fun today. Did you have fun, Natsuhiko?
Huh? W-well, of course. Did you have a bad time, Salyu?
...No. I had a lot of fun too.

When Salyu said that with a smile, Natsuhiko smiled back. If only days like this could continue forever... That's what Salyu wished. --But that peace did not last long. The next night, Natsuhiko and Mashiro got into a fight, even though Salyu had thought they were getting along.

♪ BGM: Anxious Times of Rokumei City

H-hey, wait a second, Mashiro!

And the next day--

If you don't believe Mashiro, then why don't you just leave her alone?
Hey... don't you think you're being a little too cold? You're not gonna make any friends like that.

Those words gouged out Salyu's heart. She had never expected one of her first ever friends to say that to her.

(Ah, but... if I talk to him honestly, then maybe...)

Once she got that idea, Salyu talked once more about her peculiar trait. About the dysfunctional part of her brain. And how as a result, she couldn't understand other people's feelings in the slightest--

I came to Japan, met all of you, and had fun, but... at times, I've also been confused, and also scared. Perhaps I really wasn't meant to interact with other people.

Salyu spoke on the verge of tears-- but Natsuhiko replied in a subdued voice.

...Don't tell yourself you weren't meant to interact with other people. It's true that we can't understand other people's feelings. When I say we can't understand other people's feelings, I don't just mean you and me, Salyu. Nobody truly can.
Huh...!? It's not just me... but everyone?
That's right. But don't you think... we should still try our best to understand each other regardless? ...You don't need a full understanding of what's on other people's minds. But as long as you keep striving for it... In other words, as long as you keep other people in consideration... Then I'm sure things will turn out for the best. Both for you and for those you interact with... And unless you afford that kindness to others, nobody will be kind to you, will they?

--Those words reverberated in Salyu's mind.

(I see. If everyone's the same way... then I'm just wasting my time worrying about it alone. Perhaps Natsuhiko has the same sort of worries I do inside. He overcame those worries to say all that... Is this what it means to sympathize with someone??)

At that time, Salyu felt like she gained at least a slight understanding of Natsuhiko's incomprehensible boyish mind.

(Then I need to respond... by trying to sympathize with Natsuhiko too.)

Salyu reconciled with Natsuhiko and the two of them decided to search for Mashiro together.

--Let's calm down and think about a way to find her. I'll help.
Yeah!

Salyu's life began to take a huge change. She couldn't recommend Natsuhiko and Mashiro stepping into danger, but in the corner of her mind, she enjoyed it.

(... It's kind of like an adventure... It might possibly contradict my role, but I think I might like this sort of thing.)

They suffered a temporary defeat, but once they woke up from being knocked out, the three kids talked. Natsuhiko decided to head to LABO to prevent the terrorist plot. And so Salyu and Mashiro chose to cooperate with him as well.

Aagh, geez... How can you two be so stubborn...!?
I don't want to hear it from you, Natsuhiko. The three of us just have the same idea in mind.
Total agreement.

And then the kids smiled at each other. They eventually sorted out their story.

...Okay, then. Ready, guys?
Roger.
Mmm, I'm ready to go when you are.
Let's go, to protect the city...!

Salyu nodded and broke off into a dash. Alongside the two precious friends that fate had brought to her in that city.