Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Lunatique: 09/16/2030, 17:19

♪ BGM: Approaching Death

Gaagh... agh...!

--The rope wrapped around his neck was digging into his throat. Kazami put all her strength into her grip as she strangled Watase from behind. She had apparently taken the rescue rope Watase had left in Area 6's inner ring and brought it with her. All for the sake of killing Watase.

It hurts, doesn't it...? Then I'll put you to rest soon...!

Kazami's voice sounded pained. Though Watase was barely conscious, he was still able to make that out.

(... Why...? What does Kazami think I did to her...!?)

Kazami then spoke right after Watase had that thought. It was almost like she read his mind.

You don't understand...? I'm doing this all for you.

He could never understand. Kazami's deranged thoughts were beyond Watase's comprehension. When he realized he was about to die without understanding a thing-- Watase heard a voice in the corner of his mind.

(... An auditory hallucination...!?)

No, that wasn't it.

It was telepathy from Natsuhiko. His voice was faint due to all the white noise filtering it out, but Watase could just barely make out his concerned shouts.

(Na... Natsuhiko...!)
{... chibana!? Ms. Tachibana is trying to kill...--...!?}
(Y... yeah...)
{Hang in... -... Prof. Tsubakiyama and Jun...--... be there soon!}

Watase tried to hold out for them, but it didn't look like they'd make it in time.

(I'm... sorry...)

Watase mentally apologized to him.

(It looks like... this is the end of the line... for me...!)
{Wha...! What're you apologizing for!? Are you giving up!?}

(Everything's... going black...)
{--onsense! Are you...--planning on letting it end after a--...}
(I don't want to either... but I just can't...)

But when Watase thought that, he heard another voice.

C-Captain!
!!

--This was no mental voice. It was actually coming from a person's throat. Kazami's strength loosened at that moment.

Stop it, Ms. Tachibana!

Ena took out her gun and pointed it at Kazami.

Oh, a gun, huh...? So you're in league with Watase too!?
It doesn't matter if I am or not! Just let go of Captain Kasasagi already! Or else I'll shoot!
Then please go on ahead. I'll put an end to Watase's life before you do.
Wha...!?
So long as you don't shoot me in the head, I'll have cut off his breathing before I die.
Wh-what're you talking about, Sis!?
What, you ask? Isn't it obvious? I'm saying I'm going to kill Watase.
Wha... That can't be! Why!?
In order to protect his good name.

Kazami answered Jun's question.

You see, Jun, this man is a terrorist.
Huh...?

He was supposed to be a hero, and yet he...
(S... so that's it...!)

Watase finally understood what Kazami had been talking about. He managed to wring his voice out of his nearly crushed throat.

Ka... Kazami... You... realized that I was a terrorist... So you're trying to kill me before my crimes can come to light!?
Yes. Didn't I say from the start that there were no terrorists? That's the way it should be. You will die not as a terrorist, but as a rescue worker. 'Watase Kasasagi, Captain of Sirius' Team A, passed away in the line of duty in an accident at LABO'-- That is the 'truth' that will be revealed to the world once the lockdown ends. So in order to prevent your sins from being revealed... you must die here.

A faint thought entered Watase's head when he heard Kazami finish rambling to herself.

That way, at least he wouldn't sully the good name of Sirius. That way, the truth about Dojima and Hiyama would most likely be lost to the world. Then the following story would be printed on tomorrow's paper:

People would then accept those distorted facts as the truth. Just like how they were all lied to about the truth behind the fire 16 years ago. Then there would be no problems for anyone aside from those directly involved.

(... Maybe it's the perfect way for me to atone for my sins. If that's what Kazami wants too, then...)

But at that moment,

(-----!!)

Those words spurred Watase back into action.

!?

Kazami's hands trembled the moment Watase shouted. This caused her to slightly loosen her grip on the rope, allowing Watase to pull on it with all his might. Jun dashed forward at the same time. She took her army knife out, and cut the rope.

Watase coughed violently, feeling all of the pressure on his throat suddenly relent.

Yes!!

Jun shouted in victory. But Kazami let go of the rope at the exact same time--

Don't interfere!!

--and pushed Jun away with all her strength.

Agh!

Jun's small body was sent flying hard into the wall.

She then slowly collapsed to the floor. A crack then sharply echoed through the air.

!!

Ena had apparently fired a bullet towards Kazami's feet.

That's your last warning shot!
...!!

Hesitation rose to Kazami's face for a second-- She then picked up Subject N's body and ran off.

Hold it!

Ena moved to pursue Kazami, but Watase immediately called for her to stop.

Teach, don't!
Huh!?
Y-you don't have to follow her... It's too dangerous to chase her all alone...
But Captain Kasasagi--!
That's enough. We should be more worried about Moribe now.

Watase looked over at Jun. She was lying out limply on the floor. She had apparently hit her head.

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 3

...Let's just take Moribe with us and regroup with the others. It'll be better for us to stay in a group.

Ena fell silent at the same time they heard Kazami running for Area 1. After a short silence, Watase heard Natsuhiko's telepathy echo in his head.

(Yeah, somehow...)
{...--I've also--... --firmed the situati...--}
(I see. Kazami's been completely consumed by the malice... How're things on your end?)
{We met up with Salyu--...-- e wasn't infected with...-- --... egroup in the control room and figure out what to do n--....}
(The control room? Got it. I'll be heading over there with Teach and Moribe.)

Watase finished answering him, then turned to Ena.

Let's go, Teach. We'll rendezvous with Natsuhiko and the others in the control room.
...Yes.

Ena finally nodded. Watase then carried Jun on his back and started making his way for Area 4.