Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Ether: 09/16/2030, 12:15

So now I've gone back and fixed Ukita's memories proper, but we still didn't get a full overview of his memories. How will this change the scene with Subject N? Let's find out.

♪ BGM: Ominous Ambience ♫

Tips posted:

TIP: Ether
Category: Nonfiction

Short for ethernet. Refers to the worldwide standard computer networking technologies used for local area networks (LANs).

The ''ether'' in ethernet comes from an old concept in physics also spelled as aether. Aether was a particle presumed to fill all space and act as a medium for the transmission of light. However, Einstein established the special theory of relativity without the use of aether, and today the concept of aether has become obsolete. Aether was said to fill the atmosphere, yet be invisible to the eye. Something that existed, yet did not exist.

Something that did not exist, yet existed. The concept of Aether particles was similar to the concept of BC particles which drift through the air and are loaded with human emotions like malice. Aether is treated like the 17th century concept of phlogiston, a proposed chemical element said to control combustion. The existence of such substances has been denied over the course of scientific history.

...at the memory right before Ukita had been infected with Subject N's malice.

{Be careful, Hikorin. I'm sure N's just up ahead...}
Yeah, I got it. I'll be careful this time to make sure she doesn't corrode me like she did back when I encountered her in Watase's memory.

Natsuhiko pulled himself together and looked into Ukita's memories.

(I knew it... this is where Mr. Ukita was infected with malice.)

But something felt off. ...It was too quiet.

(Huh!? But weren't the others with him at the time!?)

No, that wasn't all that was odd. Natsuhiko had ''looked around'' of his own accord. Which meant--

(This isn't Mr. Ukita's memory! It's just like with Watase--!)

A voice then filled the air.

???: It would appear that you have realized that this is no ordinary memory, no?

Natsuhiko gasped and watched in surprise as Subject N's body slowly stood up.

♪ BGM: Evil and Nightmares

No, that is incorrect. I am not Subject N. On the other hand, nor am I Keiji Ukita proper.

She was talking much differently that the ''spirit'' of Subject N that Natsuhiko had encountered in Watase's head. Much like how that spirit's speech and personality had been strongly influenced by Watase, this one had most likely been influenced by Ukita. Thinking to himself, Natsuhiko responded to her.

So if you're not Subject N or Mr. Ukita-- then who are you?
Hmph, looks like the apple fell far from the tree. Then allow me to enlighten you on my viewpoint. Would you happen to know what a 'null value' is? It's an expression used in programming languages and database entry. It refers to a state where no data has been input, or an empty character string with a length of zero.
...?
You don't understand? Then allow me to put it in layman's terms. Null values are something like '''' that exist within a program. These '''' possess no information in the world of information. But those null values do certainly exist. I'm much like those null values. I am 'nowhere', but I do indeed exist inside Ukita's brain. But I'm a meaningless entity who only exists there.

It appeared Subject N was trying to say that there was no need to erase her because she was meaningless. But Natsuhiko wasn't fooled by her words.

Don't lie, Subject N! If you're a meaningless entity, then why did Ukita's personality change!?
Oh, so you say his personality changed? Would you be talking about -this- Ukita, then?

The scene in front of them changed the moment Subject N said that.

...Go ahead and laugh. I know it's fragile justice. But it's my choice. If killing you means it'll put an end to all of this, then I'll do what I must. Even if it means staining my hands in sin for the first and last time in my life...! (If I don't, Captain Kasasagi will kill both Subject Y-II and Natsuhiko...!)

Did Ukita's personality really change? I just want to keep you and Subject Y-II safe from Captain Kasasagi through whatever means necessary. Are those not Keiji Ukita's actual feelings?

Subject N's words did indeed nearly sound true. But Natsuhiko denied them.

...No. Despite all that, Mr. Ukita never wanted to kill anyone. Never. You're not some meaningless '''' either. You're 'malice' incarnate. You really are Subject N. Plain and simple.
Hahah, I see... Then what will you do? Erase me? For I am not Ukita, but rather a different being known as Subject N?
Yeah... because Mr. Ukita will never go back to normal if I don't...
I see... So you'll erase me knowing that I'm not a meaningless entity... Well, whatever... if you're so sure of your own sense of justice, then do it.
No... maybe I'm the one who's wrong. But I'm sorry... I'm going to erase you, Subject N...

Whether Subject N was a meaningless existence or not was a question not even Natsuhiko had an answer for. But regardless, he had to bring Ukita back to normal. So in order to do that--

So basically, there was a bit of a change, but all things considered, no real difference - Subject N is confronted and erased. What you don't know is that not going in for the full mind probe with everybody leads to not being able to get the best ending. But next, we'll look at the more interesting option - not fixing Ukita's memories and still confronting Subject N.