Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Fatal Error: 09/16/2030, 12:15

Now, that's what happens when you don't get the full picture on Ukita. But now it's time for my favorite part of the game - Subject N owning Natsuhiko. What happens when we actually don't fix Ukita's memories?

♪ BGM: Ominous Ambience ♫

...at the memory right before Ukita had been infected with Subject N's malice.

{Be careful, Hikorin. I'm sure N's just up ahead...}
Yeah, I got it. I'll be careful this time to make sure she doesn't corrode me like she did back when I encountered her in Watase's memory.

Natsuhiko pulled himself together and looked into Ukita's memories.

♪ BGM: Abyss

Ukita stood a bit away from the girl, paralyzed with shock. His mind went blank at the tragic sight of the girl he wanted to save, reduced to a lifeless body.

I... I'll run a vitals check on her...

Kazami ran up to Subject N and wrapped her Vital Checker around the girl's arm.

Status all red... Her pupils have dilated... Moribe, help me out. I'm going to perform CPR.
R-right.

The two rescue workers then laid Subject N on the floor right away and began performing CPR. 15 compressions. 2 rescue breaths. 15 compressions. 2 rescue breaths. But the light did not return to Subject N's eyes.

...It's hopeless.

Ukita muttered.

She's already dead...

--Indeed. Subject N was dead. Anyone could clearly see that. Yet the rescue workers did not give up. 15 compressions. 2 rescue breaths. 15 compressions. 2 rescue breaths. Ukita called out to them one more time.

You guys couldn't save her...

And then--

...And neither could I.

Color rapidly faded from Ukita's world the moment he accepted that fact.

(That's right... I couldn't save her... I'm sorry... I'm so sorry... I'm so sorry... I'm so sorry... It's my fault... I killed you... If I hadn't deluded myself with thoughts of saving you...)

(D-did I... mess up!? Did I not repair his memories enough!?)

But Natsuhiko continued to view the memory, having no way of confirming his failure.

The upcoming dialogue is all just marked as ''Ukita'' saying it. I tried my best to separate the two internal voices here - Ukita's not as nice as Watase, who had the malice voice as thoughts and his regular voice as speech.

(No-- at the end of the day, is that really true? Was it really your fault she died?)
(... What do you mean? If it wasn't my fault, then who else could it have been?)
(Are you listening to yourself? Don't you see the suspicious people right there with you?)
(...?)

(But aren't Dojima and Hiyama already dead?)
(Precisely. That would mean Captain Kasasagi is the one who conspired to ruin everything.)
(...! But he has amnesia...)
(Even if he did get amnesia, he could have killed Subject N before that happened, right?)
(... I see... and there's one other suspicious person, isn't there?)

(That's right... both Captain Kasasagi and Ena Tsubakiyama are suspicious.)
(And there's one other person... Yes, the one who's looking at me right now--)

Just then-- Natsuhiko's consciousness was wrapped up in an intense floral scent.

When he came to his senses, he was outside LABO.

W-where am I...?

When he finished muttering that-- a voice called out from behind.

???: This is both when and where the seeds of justice first bloomed within me.
!

♪ BGM: Evil and Nightmares

Subject N...!
No, that is incorrect. I am not Subject N. On the other hand, nor am I Keiji Ukita proper.

She was talking much differently that the ''spirit'' of Subject N that Natsuhiko had encountered in Watase's head. Much like how that spirit's speech and personality had been strongly influenced by Watase, this one had most likely been influenced by Ukita. Natsuhiko talked back to her as he thought that.

Then what are you? Malice incarnate?
Malice incarnate? Now that's a fine thing to say... And here I thought I had your sympathy.
Wha-- you think I sympathize with you!?
Don't deny it. You should have come to understand several things from watching Ukita's memories. Like his justice, and how he risked his life to save the test subjects. But what was his reward for his efforts? ...Right, it was the death of the girl he wanted to save. But how did it end up that way? ...Right, it was a traitor's doing. Then who was that traitor? Who was it that betrayed my desire for there to not be any victims?

Captain Kasasagi betrayed Ukita. So I gave Ukita a little nudge, and then he decided to kill him. All in accordance with our justice.
H... how the hell is that justice...!?

Natsuhiko glared at her in defiance of the proclamation she had just turned at him.

You just possessed Mr. Ukita's mind and used his sense of justice as bait to foster malice in him! Isn't that right!?
Malice, hmm? What malice might you be referring to? We-- Ukita and I just wanted to save the test subjects. That's all. Captain Kasasagi must be eliminated for that purpose. Without his termination, the other test subject... 'Subject Y-II', that is-- will most likely never escape.
...!

She was right-- if he kept leaving Watase to his own devices, he'd eventually take Yuuri away.

(I can't accept that! But...!)

You feel guilty about the idea, don't you?
...Yeah.
I understand the sentiment. However-- consider what is truly precious to you. Caring for Captain Kasasagi essentially equates to ignoring Subject Y-II. Are you all right with that?

Natsuhiko's worries grew stronger with that question.

(Yet... if I still care about Watase after all that... Wouldn't that equate to betraying Yuuri...!?)

But he didn't know what. Subject N pressed on.

...There are times where one must harden one's heart to protect the people one holds dear. Both Ukita and I share in that thought-- but what about you?
I... I...!
Answer me. What is it that you want to do?
I--!

But right before Natsuhiko could answer that question, Yuuri's voice echoed in his head.

Y-Yuuri...!

Natsuhiko then turned his questions to her.

...Why not? She hit the nail right on the head, don't you think...?
{Huh...!?}
As things stand now, you won't be free even if you escape LABO, right? Watase will take you away and bring you to Q... You'll probably be faced with all sorts of danger when that happens. What's more, you can't go home either, naturally. So let me ask you again: are you really okay with that?
{...}
...Of course you're not. You want to be free and go home with me, right?
{... Yes.}
I'll do whatever it takes to make that happen. I'll do anything for you. So-- please don't stop me from what I'm about to do. Okay...?

When she heard that, Yuuri-- Finally answered after a long silence.

{... You're... right... You're right, Hikorin. I've been wrong this whole time... I thought I would be okay with whatever misery I faced so long as everyone else was happy... But... that was all a total lie... I've actually wanted to be just as happy as anyone else all these years. Yet I...!}
It's okay, I understand. So to protect your happiness-- I'm going to fight Watase. Just like Mr. Ukita did.
{... Thank you, Hikorin.}

...Subject N... I'm sorry. You're exactly right.
I see... So you finally understand?

She smiled happily after she said that.

Then return to the real world. You're the one with a body, so it's your job to take care of the 'problem'.
Yeah...
I'm counting on you. Carry out your justice.

Natsuhiko cut off his Senses Sympathy link to Ukita.

Watase was staring at Natsuhiko and Yuuri with a firm expression on his face. It had already been over three minutes since the two of them had begun repairing Ukita's memories. But neither of them showed any signs of waking up.

(Are they okay...?)

Watase grew more and more nervous the more he watched the two of them standing there like statues, not budging an inch. But at that moment--

The three of them woke up at the same time as if it were a synchronized routine.

...I-is it over?

Watase asked Natsuhiko that question. But the boy didn't answer. He just stared hard at Watase's face.

H-hey... something wrong?

Yuuri then spoke up in a faint voice shortly afterwards.

...I'm sorry, Captain Kasasagi. When it comes down to it, I just don't want to go with you.
Wh-what!?
Sorry, Captain Kasasagi. I won't hand Yuuri over to you. That's the way it is.
...! N-Natsuhiko... what's the meaning of this!?

He trembled as he asked his question. When he did, Natsuhiko stood up and grabbed Watase by the wrist.

A shiver ran down Watase's spine at that moment. He noticed that everyone else's eyes were filled with a sinister light.

I-it can't be... Have you guys all been infected by malice!?
Disappear, Watase. For good this time.
S-STOOOOOP!!

But right as he shouted that--

--all the memories that molded Watase's personality were annihilated.

♪ BGM: Static ♫

Natsuhiko, Yuuri, and Ukita all looked down on the now-unconscious Watase. Natsuhiko quietly snatched the gun out of Watase's pocket a few seconds later. He then aimed straight for Watase's head--