Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

DECISION: 09/16/2030, 17:49

♪ BGM: Close to the Truth

Natsuhiko, Yuuri, Mashiro, and Ena supported each other as they headed to Area N.

Tips posted:

TIP: Area N
Category: Fiction

Refers to the circular room placed at the center of the hexagonal LABO. Its large atrium spans both basement floors 1 and 2, reaching a height of over 10 m. The N in Area N stands for Nuclear, designating the nuclear reactor installed there for research purposes--

Or at least that is the official explanation used for external purposes. In reality, there is no nuclear reactor, just a WX amplifier of comparable size which allows them to carry out BC particle-related experiments both day and night. The truth of its existence is extremely secret. Even low level researchers at LABO are given the same explanation as the official external explanation and are only told that there is a nuclear reactor in there.

Further beneath Area N is a deep depth floor called Area Zero where top secret experiments are performed. Area Zero has six locked rooms, allowing it to serve as a residential area for the test subjects. Subject N and Yuuri lived in Area Zero, as did other former test subjects like Salyu. Use of the elevator connecting Area N and Area Zero requires a top-ranking Level N security card and retinal scans of two or more top-ranking researchers.

LABO was originally a place meant for the unavoidable isolation of N-ified Communicators, so the national government knows of Area N's existence. However, the morally corrupt LABO began to confine Communicators regardless of their N-ification status.

As they walked, Natsuhiko told everyone about the epiphany he'd just had.

...Subject N was Ms. Tachibana's little sister.

Tips posted:

TIP: Test subject

High-level Communicators at risk of N-ification, as well as their relatives and other concerned individuals, are either confined by LABO for long periods of time or are tagged by them as observation targets. Seven such test subjects and observational targets have been confirmed. LABO's attitude towards such individuals can be seen by the almost prisoner-like designations given to them.

Subject A: Alice Enflamme
Subject N: Nagisa Tachibana
Subject Y: Louise Yui Sannomiya (Later Special Observation Target Yu)
Subject Y-II: Yuuri Kotono
Special Observation Target Na2: Natsuhiko Tenkawa
Special Observation Target Yu: Louise Yui Sannomiya (Previously Subject Y)
Observation Target Ka: Kazami Tachibana
Observation Target Ma: Mashiro Toba

They used the same trick they did with Yuuri to fake her death and confine her in LABO. It was most likely after the apartment complex gas explosion on April 7, nine years ago...
No way...
That's just... too cruel...!

They spoke with quivering voices.

Then Ms. Tachibana's trying to pass judgment on Q's members... for causing Subject N's death?
Yes... or perhaps she simply wants revenge.
Revenge? We're talking about Ms. Tachibana here--
Ms. Tachibana's been driven to insanity with intense malice, just as much as Watase was when he shot me. The reason why her symptoms didn't manifest for a while was probably because she had no clear target of hatred. Or she could also have been holding it back through sheer force of will.

She even rationalized her intent to murder with the justification that it was ''to protect Watase's name'' and ''to avenge her sister''.

(Ms. Tachibana intends to kill Watase and Mr. Ukita... But even malice infection won't completely erase someone's original personality. Even Watase had shown signs of his original self.)

Natsuhiko was struck with an intense unease. They needed to stop Kazami. But how? She had stolen Ena's gun, leaving Natsuhiko's gun their only weapon.

(If I'm correct, there are only two bullets left... but what can do with those? What can we even do with this gun!?)

As Natsuhiko touched the gun slung on his belt, Ena sighed and muttered aloud.

Mr. Tenkawa, do you think you can erase Ms. Tachibana's malice?
...I think it'd be difficult. She's a completely different case from everyone else.

She was Subject N's older sister, and through WX particle-induced genetic mutation, she had likely become a Rank S Aptitude Communicator.

Tips posted:

TIP: Aptitude Rank and Ability Level

Natsuhiko Tenkawa
...... Rank S Aptitude/Ability Level 6 (Rank C Aptitude/Ability Level 0 in childhood)

Yuuri Kotono
...... Rank S Aptitude/Ability Level 6 (Rank C Aptitude/Ability Level 0 in childhood)

Mashiro Toba
...... Rank B Aptitude/Ability Level 5 (underreported as Level 3)

Salyu
...... Rank F Aptitude/Ability Level 0

Watase Kasasagi

Kazami Tachibana
...... Rank S Aptitude/Ability Level 6 (Rank D Aptitude/Ability Level 0 before LABO incident)

Jun Moribe
...... Rank D Aptitude/Ability Level 0

Ena Tsubakiyama

Keiji Ukita

Alice Enflamme
...... Rank S Aptitude/Ability Level 6

Nagisa Tachibana
...... Rank S Aptitude/Ability Level 6

The general classification of ability levels is approximately as follows:

Level 0: Cannot use telepathy.
Level 1: Can use point-blank or direct contact telepathy.
Level 2: Can use short-range telepathy.
Level 3: Can use long-range telepathy.
Level 4: Can use long-range telepathy and point-blank or direct contact empathy.
Level 5: Can use very long-range telepathy and short-range empathy.
Level 6: Possesses ability greater than Level 5 and can use Senses Sympathy.

Furthermore, Rank F Aptitude means that any display of ability is impossible for such an individual and no amount of practice will change them from an ''ordinary person''.

The absolute BC/no BC boundary between Communicators and ordinary people certainly exists, but the boundary between Rank S Aptitude Communicators and those Rank A or lower is almost as absolute. According to all previous surveys, only Rank S Aptitude Communicators can use Senses Sympathy. Telepathy and empathy also become overwhelmingly easier the higher a Communicator's aptitude. Due to these significant differences, some scholars even advocate that Rank S Aptitude individuals are the true Communicators while Rank A Aptitude and lower individuals are only incomplete manifestations.

The next time I try to repair Ms. Tachibana's memories via Senses Sympathy-- She could very well manipulate my own memories before I finish.
Th-then in the worst case scenario... She could erase your memory the very moment you use Senses Sympathy!?
...I can't deny that possibility.

Actually, that possibility was rather high. An even worse case scenario was that the shock of memory erasure could damage his brain itself.

(If my brain were to get damaged-- Couldn't that make memory recovery impossible even if I bring Yuuri along!?)

That was to say nothing of the accumulated mental damage his repeated confrontations with Nagisa had wrought. Ever since he got hit with Kazami's telepathy attack, his head had been aching continuously. Could his next confrontation with Nagisa bring his mind and spirit to their final limits? As Natsuhiko fell into despair, Yuuri spoke up beside him.

But there's still hope.
Hope?
Unlike me and Hikorin, Ms. Tachibana hasn't done proper BC practice. That means she's not necessarily able to use Senses Sympathy at will, you know? Once you dive into Lieutenant Tachibana's brain, if you can erase N-- --No, if you can erase -Nagisa- within an exceptionally short amount of time, that should spell victory for us.
C-can you do it, Natsuhiko...?

Natsuhiko couldn't answer. Because that didn't seem like hope at all, but rather nothing more than wishful thinking.

I see... In that case... I guess that means I'll have to be the one to do something, then.
Huh? --Ah!!

♪ BGM: Psychological Warfare

The moment Natsuhiko asked for clarification, Ena reached for Natsuhiko's belt and snatched his gun.

Wh-what are you doing, Professor!?
If there's a problem you Communicators can't handle, then it's up to us ordinary people to take matters into our own hands. That's how we at the ESP Bureau have always operated.
Wait... Ms. Ena, you don't mean!?
I'll try to persuade Ms. Tachibana myself. But if that doesn't work-- I'll shoot to kill.
...!
No, don't, Ms. Ena...! Ms. Ena, you said you wanted to -protect- Communicators, didn't you!? Ms. Tachibana's a Communicator herself! How can you just kill her!?

Ena solemnly replied to Mashiro's plea.

...You kids know exactly how, don't you? September 16, sixteen years ago. This city was set aflame. All because of a single, N-ified Communicator. She triggered the mass pandemonium. And right now, Ms. Tachibana is extremely close to becoming the next Communicator A. And there's no way I can stand back and watch that happen. I'm a member of the ESP Bureau.

Ena grasped the gun tightly. Her eyes were no longer those of a teacher.

I'm sorry... It's too late for me to turn back. Farewell, my students. Our time together was short, but it's been fun.

And with that-- Ena rushed towards Area N.

Professor! Professor, please wait!

Ena wouldn't stop no matter how much Natsuhiko yelled. His screams faded into the darkness.

L-let's chase after her, guys!
Yeah!

Yuuri supported Mashiro and Natsuhiko, and the three of them ran.

The wounds the malice-infected Watase had inflicted. Natsuhiko no longer knew what was right.

(But still-- There has to be a route that leads to everyone's survival! There just has to be!)

With that conviction in mind, the three Communicators ran.

(Please don't die on me--!)

As Natsuhiko pleaded that thought, the gate opened. --And beyond that gate, they saw--

♪ BGM: Approaching Death

!!

Kazami pointing a gun. At a fallen, but uninjured Ukita. It seemed Watase had pushed him away just a second before Kazami had fired. In front of the two men stood Jun, covering them. Beside her was Salyu, standing at the ready. And finally-- beside them was Ena, pointing yet another gun.

Stop this immediately, Ms. Tachibana...! This isn't some empty threat this time! Put your gun down right now, or I'll shoot!
...Ms. Tsubakiyama... Could you please not interfere just this once? I only want to kill those two. That's all. Just Mr. Ukita and Watase. Once I kill those two and avenge my sister-- I'll put an end to myself personally.
!!

The atmosphere froze at those words.

Stop this, Sis! Don't kill them! Don't kill yourself!
Hold on, Moribe. I don't care if I die. I deserve as much for my crimes...
Captain!?
But Kazami, spare the old man, will you? And this goes without saying, but-- Don't you dare die, either.

After hearing those words, Ukita smiled in self-derision.

No, if you're going to kill someone, then kill me too... That's my atonement. Regardless of my motives, I've caused several victims to--

Salyu interrupted Ukita.

Kazami Tachibana, let me just say that there's no time. If you waste too much time here, I'll take you down myself.

Kazami glared at Watase without so much as a glance to Salyu. The wills of six people clashed.

(Wh... what should I do!?)

If this situation were left as it was, then Watase would surely die. Which would naturally make his deal with Yuuri null and void, setting her free.

(But then Ms. Tachibana and Mr. Ukita would die too...! Do I abandon three people to save Yuuri!?)

There was no way he could do that.

(Then there really is no other option besides erasing Ms. Tachibana's malice...!)

And only Natsuhiko could do it. Only he could use Senses Sympathy on Kazami at that distance. But could he erase her malice? If Nagisa were to defeat Natsuhiko, then it would mean the end of everything.

(... The more time it takes, the more dangerous it'll be... It'll be a big enough risk just searching through Ms. Tachibana's memory for Subject N. In that case... what if I just indiscriminately erase all of Ms. Tachibana's memory...!?)

That was a measure that Natsuhiko had forbidden himself from taking. It would indeed be the safer alternative. He had done the same to Watase before. But then Kazami would fall victim to amnesia. The moment that thought crossed Natsuhiko's mind-- A voice echoed in his head again.

!!

--It was the telepathy Natsuhiko had sent eight hours ago.

The message he had sent to Watase to make him save Yuuri from the flames surrounding her.

The information energy of that message had lingered and now, once again, had returned to Natsuhiko. As if to back up his decision. It was probably just a mere coincidence, but he still felt as if somebody were giving him that command.

(Ghh...!)

When he looked around, it appeared that only Natsuhiko had heard that telepathy.

(... You don't have to tell me!)

...well then.

VOTING

Alright, here we go. The situation is reaching a fever pitch - Kazami wants to kill Watase and Ukita, then herself; Ena wants to kill Kazami; Watase and Ukita have a death wish; Salyu could do anything at this point; Jun might dive into the shots to be a hero; and we need to figure out what the hell we're going to have Natsuhiko do in order to defuse the situation. Natsuhiko has a few ideas himself, but who knows what the right one is?

Now, we have three options here, and you're going to have to pick one of them. Choose between favoring Watase, favoring Kazami, or favoring neither, and choose wisely. There are two bad ends and one correct choice here.