Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Pure Motives: 09/16/2030, 18:00

About why they couldn't disarm it, and why the lockdown timer was off. And how at this rate, everyone would die in the explosion--!

♪ BGM: Abyss

The news shook up Natsuhiko's group. They all began to speak with quivering voices.

So you're saying we'll all die if we stay here!?
Th-then we've gotta think of a way to get out of here!
D-don't be ridiculous... We searched the place for six hours and found nothing...!

Watase fell silent.

(It really is ridiculous...!)

They had little time left. Watase realized he couldn't think of anything as he held the amnesiac Kazami in his arms.

(... But we've still got to do something... The bomb is my responsibility. So I have to save everyone here...!)

The time was ''6:02 PM''. Only 15 minutes left until the bomb went off. Watase had come up with an escape plan back in Area Zero, but--

(... It's too dangerous to risk bringing up the idea, what with the situation the way it is. It would just cause everyone to panic more.)

He gave up on that idea. Natsuhiko bitterly spoke to Watase.

Watase... what do you plan to do?
...At any rate, we'll all die if we stay here. Let's at least evacuate to a slightly safer place.
A safer place?

Watase nodded.

The bomb's been planted in Area Zero. I can't predict how the explosion's blast will spread-- But if we go as far as we can from the blast radius-- in other words, right outside the emergency staircase bulkhead in Area 2-- we should be able to increase our chances of survival just a little.
Then we'll survive if we go there?
I don't know... but that's the best bet we've got.

He was at a loss for any better options. Impatience and confusion had taken their toll on Watase's sense of judgment. Everyone looked uneasy, but they reluctantly nodded.

...The faster we get there, the better. Let's go.
Yeah... c'mon, Sis.
Ah... o-okay...

Jun took Kazami's hand and walked off. Everyone else followed suit.

The time was ''6:08 PM''. Only nine minutes left until the explosion. Watase and the others endured their fear and waited for that moment. The mind-crushing silence was eventually shattered when Kazami broke the ice.

U-um...
... What is it?
The two of you... look somewhat familiar to me...

Kazami looked at Watase and Jun, then continued.

...Who were you guys to me...?

Jun answered that question.

I'm your... sister.
Sister...? Then what about you...?

Watase looked away from Kazami after he was asked that.

...I'm the one who's responsible for putting you... No... for putting -everyone- through this nightmare.
This nightmare?
Yeah... I was trying to destroy this facility to satisfy my own personal grudge. As a result, the bomb I planted is about to explode very soon. But I failed to take something into account... and now you and everyone else will suffer for it.
No way...!

Kazami looked at Watase and rose her voice in astonishment.

You're not the kind of person who'd do something like that, right?
You wouldn't know that, would you? Seeing as how you've lost your memories and all.
No, I can tell. It's true that I've forgotten everything... but while I can't quite explain it... I can remember that much for some reason. I know you're a very kind person with a strong sense of justice...

Watase couldn't say anything. Nor could anyone else.

(Kind? A strong sense of justice? Me...? That ''sense of justice'' is what dragged all of you into this mess...!)

Watase was full of regret.

(Was there no other way...!? There must've been a correct route to take that would've kept everyone from falling into this miserable--)

A flash of insight suddenly rushed through Watase's head at that moment.

(That's right... at the very least-- I can make it harder for the explosion to make it all the way over here!)

That was the lone ray of hope that'd shone through this despair. When it came down to it, explosions basically spread in the paths of least resistance. Then in that case, since everyone was in Area 2-- If he could reroute the explosion towards Area 5, the complete opposite side of the facility, it could at least slightly improve their chances of survival. That said, it was a plan with slim chances for success. But they had to gamble on it. Watase then spoke up.

Moribe, sorry... there's something I have to take care of.
Huh?
Take care of Kazami and the others. Don't follow me, guys. I mean it.
H-hold on Captain, what are you--!?
What the hell are you trying to do, Watase!?

Watase ignored everyone's shouts-- And descended the emergency staircase.

♪ BGM: Ominous Ambience ♫

He glared at the six security gates surrounding him.

(The explosion will spread into every direction leading out of Area N once it rises from Area Zero! Then all I have to do is just open the gate from Area N to Area 5 and keep the rest shut!)

Watase headed towards Area 5 and stood in front of its gate. According to his watch, it was ''6:15 PM''. Only two minutes to go before the explosion. All he had to do was open the gate just as the explosion occurred. That said, Watase would die for sure if he went through with it. No one could survive being directly above the explosion's blast radius.

(Hmph... so what?)

Watase broke out into a self-deprecating laugh. He suddenly remembered what had happened just a few hours ago. Back when he still hadn't regained his memories. He went into Area N all by himself to save everyone back then, too. He had thought his own life meant nothing if it meant saving the others. That sadly pure conviction felt so radiant to Watase now.

(... I've just gone back to the way I was back then. Now I can finally fulfill my plans from back--)

But at that moment, he suddenly heard a voice behind him.

???: Um...
!!

♪ BGM: Memento Mori

His eyes widened, and he started shouting.

You... you dumbass! Why did you follow me!?
I don't really know why... but I chased after you because I was worried about you.
Your presence here only makes things worse! Didn't Moribe try to stop you!?
I shook her off. Should I not have done that...?

Watase gasped and checked his watch once again. Only 23 seconds to go until the explosion. She'd never make it back to the others if she were to try to run back now--

Go back, Kazami! You have to live!
I refuse.
Just shut up and go back! You'll die with me if you don't!
...I'm fine with that.

Kazami sounded like she was pleading with Watase.

When I woke up, words like 'live' and 'die' suddenly didn't feel real anymore. But for some reason... nothing feels real to me except what my heart's telling me now. It's telling me that if I'm going to die, then I want to die with you.
--

Watase's face warped with grief. There wasn't any time left. Watase reluctantly opened the gate to Area 5--

And heard a thunderous roar rise up from below at that moment.

--It's here!!
!!

Kazami's body trembled with a start. Watase gripped her arms and held her close to him.

Death was creeping towards them from the very depths of the Earth. It would only take a mere moment for it to completely fill Area N. In that second that lasted longer than an eternity-- Watase embraced Kazami.

For reference, this is the last bad end we can get in this game. So there's no more ''bad'' ends in store for us - but given what the game considers a ''normal'' ending, we're not exactly out of the woods, I'd say.