Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

L'adieu: Farewell: 09/16/2030, 17:54

♪ BGM: Words of Healing

----
--
--Before long...

It was a vision of a young Nagisa walking far away. Kazami's voice echoed from somewhere.

{Nagisa! Wait, don't go! Don't go! You'll never be able to come back if you do!}
(Is this... Ms. Tachibana's dream...?)

Natsuhiko was experiencing the same dream through Kazami's five senses. Nagisa soon turned around--

Kazami then woke up.

Nagisa looked down upon Kazami.

Ah... Nagisa...

Kazami said that with clear relief.

Are you okay? It looked like you were groaning in your sleep a bit...
...I had a dream.
A dream?
Yes. A dream where you went off to somewhere far away... It was a very sad dream.
I see... But don't you see, Sis? You don't have to worry. I'm right here.
That's right...

Kazami smiled at Nagisa.

You've always been with me, haven't you? We've been together forever...

Tears welled up in Kazami's eyes.

Even after you've-- Even after you've already died...!

Nagisa returned Kazami's smile at those words.

...Yes. I realize that what I'm seeing is just a dream... And that in reality, you're gone...
...That's right.

Kazami looked at Nagisa and spoke.

Even so, I was glad to see you again.
Me too, Sis. 'Cause I missed you so much all these years...

Nagisa grew quiet for a few seconds-- Then she started softly speaking again.

Actually, I tried to see you again just this one time shortly after I was locked away... I tried to escape from LABO.
Huh...?
But a Case N was declared right away, so that didn't work out...

Tips posted:

TIP: Evacuation Mode & Case N
Category: Fiction

Emergency commands in LABO declared in case of unforeseen circumstances.

Evacuation mode is declared when prompt evacuation becomes necessary due to the outbreak of fires or other disasters. Evacuation mode unlocks the doors to all rooms as well as the security gates that usually automatically relock after a certain period of time. However, the retina authentication for the elevator from Area N to Area Zero remains locked.

A Case N is declared when Subject N is improperly taken outside of Area N or Area 5. The security gates lock and the bulkheads to the surface shut, preventing Subject N's escape. Researchers and staff members promptly administer AD and are generally instructed to remain on standby until outside help arrives.

Nine years ago, during the ''Subject N escape incident'', a fire-triggered evacuation mode and a Case N were declared one after the other, causing the security gates to temporarily open for only a short period of time before relocking. Furthermore, the bulkheads shut, preventing escape to the surface. But since at that time, there was a way to open the bulkheads from the outside, Miyoko managed to narrowly escape the flames and bring Natsuhiko and Yuuri to safety.

That event was fortunate in itself, but one person saw the security feature Miyoko used to be dangerous. This person was Ryoken Kashiwagi, then senior fellow. Kashiwagi hypothesized that the ability to open the bulkheads from the outside meant that had the Case N happened during not a simple evacuation mode, but a ''meltdown'' instead, that is, had a malfunction caused the WX amplifier to go haywire, then Subject N could have utilized the amplified WX particles to invoke Senses Sympathy on someone outside to manipulate them to open the bulkheads and allow her to escape. Fearing this worst-case scenario, Kashiwagi amended the security measures so that in the event of a simultaneous meltdown and Case N, nobody on the inside (or obviously the outside for that matter) could open the bulkheads until ''Brain Cell'' confirmed the neutralization of the ''meltdown'' and opened up the bulkheads automatically. Thus, Subject N's escape would be prevented, though at the potential sacrifice of the researchers and staff members who didn't escape in time.

Was the motivation for enacting such a drastic security measure the cowardly fear of exposing the truth behind LABO, or was it a modest sense of justice to protect the general public from potential danger...? Nobody will ever know.

And to make matters worse, I got two other kids caught up in all that, and their genes... mutated as a result.
...You're talking about... Tenkawa and Ms. Yuuri...!
...So please, Sis. Don't blame those two. Nor Mr. Watase or anyone else. 'Cause none of them were at fault...
... Yes... you're right...

Nagisa gave a lonely smile when Kazami said that.

...Nagisa.
Don't look so sad, okay? I may be gone, but I'll live on in your memories. So just remember, and you can see me again any time... I'll be with you forever so long as you remember me.
Yes... I know. I'll never forget. I swear I'll never forget... that you're always with me.
Yeah...

Nagisa stroked Kazami's cheek.

Thanks, Sis.

----
--And with that, they awoke from the dream.

♪ BGM: Memento Mori

It wasn't long before his five senses gently came back. The first thing he heard with his newly returned hearing was the sound of Yuuri's tear-stricken voice.

Hikorin...! Hikorin, that girl's gone...

And the first thing he saw with his newly returned sight-- Was Kazami slowly falling unconscious to the floor.

--Kazami!

Watase ran up to Kazami. He caught her firmly in his arms just before she could hit the floor.

Kazami! Kazami!

Watase called out her name over and over again.

Natsuhiko...?

Mashiro's voice was full of bewilderment.

... It's over. The malice is gone...

Kazami's eyes opened at the same time Natsuhiko said that.

Watase...
S-Sis...?

Jun called out to her nervously, but Kazami alleviated her fears by speaking in a gentle voice.

Jun... I'm sorry I worried you.
Sis!!

Jun hugged Kazami while crying. Kazami gently stroked Jun's hair.

Thank God! Thank God...!
I'm sorry... I scared you to death, didn't I...?

Kazami whispered that to Jun, then turned to Watase.

I'm sorry, Watase... I hurt you so many times.
No... I deserved it. Though of course, I don't think it was nearly enough to make up for my sins...
That's enough... I mean it. You tried to rescue the test subjects who were confined here in LABO. You tried to save Nagisa... Even if you failed to do that in the end... I can't blame you.
Because you and I have been through similar lives. So I understand your feelings better than anyone else...

Watase then silently embraced Kazami. Neither of them said another word...

Watase walked up to Natsuhiko.

...Thank you for not erasing Kazami's memories, Natsuhiko.
No, I only did what I thought was right... I'm glad I didn't erase Ms. Tachibana's memories too.
I see... you're right. ...To be honest, I was scared of you up until now. I saw you as something of a monster who could manipulate others' memories as he saw fit...
...That's understandable.
But you never abused that power. You've only used it to save people in spite of the pain it brings you... Thanks to that, I now finally understand. You're no monster. You're... just as human as the rest of us.

Those words moved Natsuhiko's heart. He remembered something the Subject N in Watase's mind had once told him.

Those words had weighed heavily on his mind the whole time. But with Watase's words alone, the dark clouds shrouding Natsuhiko's heart felt as though they'd finally been lifted. However, in contrast to the broad smile that'd formed on Natsuhiko's face, Watase's face was full of gloom.

...Compared to that, I'm just a stupid bastard.
Huh?
Hey, Natsuhiko... there's something I've got to tell you. When we went down to Area Zero, I realized I did something I can never take back.
...? What do you mean?

♪ BGM: Abyss

I'm talking about the bomb. We can't disarm it. And to make matters worse-- It'll go off before the lockdown is lifted.
!?

Natsuhiko, Yuuri, Mashiro, and Ena's eyes widened in shock.