Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

PRIDE OF SIRIUS: 09/16/2030, 17:55

This time, the team we're sending to apparent certain death will be the Sirius members. The game will also choose this decision if you pick some sort of different setup (like picking, say, Yuuri, Ena and Mashiro for some reason).

(Does somebody have to die...!?)

It was almost time to make their decision. The time to decide who to cast away was imminent...!

♪ BGM: Ominous Ambience ♫

Natsuhiko could by no means come to a decision.

(It's no good... I can't choose...!)

He had been thinking he'd stay behind himself, but when it came down to it, even that choice was difficult to make. That said, he couldn't bring himself to sacrifice anyone else, either.

(Dammit! What kind of sick joke is this situation!? We finally got everyone all together, and yet...!)

Time ticked down second by second. Despair descended upon Natsuhiko's mind. But at that moment-- Jun spoke up.

♪ BGM: Double Bible (Instrumental Arrange)

Huh?

Natsuhiko looked up to see Jun smiling at him.

Guess it's really times like these where us rescue workers gotta shine. Ain't that right, Captain? Sis?
H-hold on a second, Moribe! Captain Kasasagi aside, there shouldn't be any reason for either you or Lieutenant Tachibana to be sacrificed!
No, you're wrong, Mr. Ukita. In fact, it's wrong to think that anybody has to be sacrificed in the first place. We're not sacrificing anybody. I mean, we've gone through harsh training each day to prevent that. It might be impossible for other people, but I'm sure the three of us can find a way outta here. So... us members of Sirius will stay behind.

There was not a shred of doubt in Jun's eyes as she made her declaration. And as if her sentiment had propagated to them, Watase and Kazami smiled.

...You're right.
Yes... that certainly is true. That seems like a safer wager than my proposal.
B-but...!

They had been searching for a way to escape LABO all this time. However, they hadn't found anything in the end.

(And yet they say they can find a way to escape now...? That's just not possible!)

As that thought crossed his mind, Jun bonked Natsuhiko on the head.

C'mon. Look, there's no need to worry. And besides, you've got some girls you gotta protect, don'tcha?

When he heard that, Natsuhiko turned around in shock.

(... True, I do want to protect everyone... but...)
C'mon, don't make that face. Though when you've got three girlfriends, I can kinda see why you'd be a little fickle. Ahahahah.

Jun's cheerfulness was a demonstration of her gentleness, her strength, and her resolve. Natsuhiko couldn't help but cry when he realized that.

Jun...

--But he held back his tears.

(Don't cry... There's no need to cry!)

This was not a final farewell. The rescue workers were simply staying behind in LABO for the time being to ensure everyone's escape. So Natsuhiko looked at the three of them and spoke resolutely.

Jun, Ms. Tachibana, Watase... I believe in you.
Yeah. That's all we ask for.

Kazami forced herself to speak cheerfully too.

...Sheesh, you sure have been singing your own praises, haven't you?
C'mon, Sis. If a low-ranking rescue worker like me doesn't show off now, when else will I get the chance?
Jun. You're on duty. Please stop calling me 'Sis'.
Aww, that's not fair, Sis. You just called me 'Jun' too, y'know!
How many times must I tell you... Sheesh...

For at least a fleeting second, that exchange caused everyone to smile and forget the tense situation. Jun then put on a serious face and spoke to Ena and Ukita.

Okay then, Ms. Tsubakiyama, Mr. Ukita, take care of the kids for me.
Yes, leave them to us.
As someone at fault for causing this incident, I too need to take responsibility.
...Oh, and, Ms. Moribe?
What?
I'm sorry for being so rude to you today. You are an excellent rescue worker.

Jun's whole face lit up in a smile at those words. She silently nodded and then spoke to everyone.

...All right now people, head on over to the bulkhead in Area 2 as quick as you can! The three of us won't have time to find an escape route if you don't!
Yes!

When it came time to part, the six who would leave spoke to the three who would stay.

Jun! I really do admire you!
Aw shucks, that's kinda embarrassing... but thanks.

Salyu held Alice out to Jun and spoke.

Jun. She's precious to me. I don't mind if she breaks, but bring her back to me.
Yeah. I promise.

When Jun took Alice, the doll looked at Salyu and cried sadly.

Alice: Kyuu...
Captain Kasasagi, Ms. Tachibana, Ms. Jun... I just know you three will escape safely.
Ms. Yuuri... It might be strange of me to say this, but... Please live life to its fullest, for Nagisa too.
...Yes.

And finally, Natsuhiko glared and shouted at Watase.

Hey, Watase!
What now?
You know what I'm going to say, right...? Make sure Jun and Ms. Tachibana escape, even if it costs you your life, you hear!?
Yeah, I know.
For sure, okay!? Because it's your duty to ensure everyone escapes safely!
...Leave it to me.

Watase answered with a sharp look in his eyes. Out of everyone present, Watase was probably the most aware of how difficult escape would be. But regardless, Natsuhiko decided to trust his vow.

Now, go, guys!
We'll open the bulkheads in exactly two minutes!
Please hurry! There's no time!

♪ BGM: The Brave Decision

Pressed by the words of the three rescue workers, the other six left the system control room. Before he shut the door, Natsuhiko turned around.

Jun looked back at them.

...It's okay. We won't die. So let's all meet up again.

And as Jun finished saying that-- --the door to the system control room shut as if to separate the two groups.

Natsuhiko declared that in his mind before turning around and breaking off into a run.

We made it...!

Right after Natsuhiko muttered that-- he heard an electronic sound. And the bulkhead that had been shut this whole time began to open loudly. But none of the six cheered for joy.

{Mom, can you hear me?}

He then used empathy and waited for her answer.

(Security Sector 6 didn't apprehend her, did they!?)

He thought that for a second-- but he soon heard the professor's voice.

{Good, we connected!}
{Y-yes! But how did we suddenly connect!? Wait, did the bulkheads open!?}
{We neutralized the bulkhead Iockdown with your hacking software! We're getting out now! How's the situation over there!?}
{I was somehow able to get through to the rescue squad! ... Ah! Looks like Security Sector 6 has noticed the bulkheads opening too! Natsuhiko, get to the entrance as quickly as possible! We'll secure an escape route for you!}

The professor's voice was frantic. The situation seemed urgent.

Let's go, guys! Run for the entrance!

The six of them ran as Natsuhiko shouted that. But soon afterwards, they heard that chilling voice again--

Automatic PA: --A 'Case N' has just been detected. In accordance with this emergency, security has shifted to Blockade Mode. Looking down all gates and bulkheads.

--The bulkheads shut behind them. But they dared not look back. They kept on running so as to not betray the feelings of the three who stayed behind of their own accord. Eventually, they began to hear a commotion up in front of them--

--The entrance was in tumultuous disarray. Dozens of rescue workers were pushing back a mass of thirty or forty men in protection suits on two sides. And in the center of the parted sea stood a woman--

Mom!
Professor!
Natsuhiko! Yuuri, Yui, and Mashiro too!

The professor abruptly stopped. But she held back her tears and spoke up again.

Now go! Get through to the front entrance!

But the moment she said that, Natsuhiko hesitated.

--W-wait, Mom! There are still three people left down there! And there's a powerful bomb set up that's about to explode!
Huh!?
Is there nothing we can do to save those three!?
At this point, that would be--

She thought for a second, but then spoke up resolutely.

--No, anyway, you six need to escape! Even moreso if there's a bomb!
No way! But then--
Let's just go, Mr. Tenkawa! We need to believe in Captain Kasasagi and his squad!
Besides, if you don't escape, then all their efforts will have been for nothing! So run! Just run!

Natsuhiko was forced to comply. He withstood the pain of his injuries and ran with all his might.

SS6 Member 1: W-wait!
SS6 Member 2: Don't let them get away! After them!

At that moment, the Security Sector 6 crowd surged and kicked away at the rescue workers. But at the same time-- The rescue copter came into view on the other side of the entrance!

Board that helicopter! Hurry!

With that voice at their backs, the six survivors boarded the helicopter. It began its ascent immediately afterwards.

Commander: I'm Sirius Commander Murakami. I've heard the details from Dr. Tenkawa. You can all relax now.
Th... thank you.
Commander: No need for thanks. More importantly, where are Kasasagi and the others...?

Yuuri jumped at that question and pleaded with the commander.

Commander Murakami, please! You need to do something to save them!
Commander: What!?

--Yuuri explained to the commander what had happened in LABO. How the three rescue workers stayed behind to save them. How an undefusable bomb was set to explode before the lockdown end time. And finally how there was little hope for their escape--

--So please, there has to be a way to make an escape route for them externally!
Commander: ...I'm sorry, but I cannot consent to that. Doing so would endanger the lives of the rescue workers as well. I can't send an order like that to the units under my own jurisdiction.
N-no...!
Then is there nothing we can do for Watase and the others!?
Commander: ...We can... believe in them. Naturally, I too believe that Kasasagi and the others will return alive.

--After those words were spoken, an ominous silence fell upon them. Ena muttered in bitter opposition of that silence.

He's right... Let's believe in them, Ms. Yuuri. Let's believe that they'll escape from LABO.

Everyone else started speaking up in reply.

I believe too.
...Me too.
Me too... We made a promise after all. Jun said she'd come back with Alice.

That was everyone's prayer. All they could do was pray in that hopeless situation. And that's why-- Natsuhiko prayed with all of his heart as well.

Yeah, I believe too... I believe we'll see those three again alive for sure...!

The commander had the rescue copter circle above LABO. That was the least he could do as he prayed for his subordinates' safety. Seconds ticked away as they approached the time of detonation. Natsuhiko held a finger to his temple as he sent full-power telepathy.

--3 minutes remaining--

{Please, Watase! If you can hear me, please answer!}

--1 minute remaining--

{Watase, can't you hear me!? Have you escaped yet?}

--30 seconds remaining--

{Dumbass! The hell are you dragging your feet for!?}

--10 seconds remaining--

{Hey, hurry up and answer my telepathy!}

--5, 4, 3, 2, 1--

{Watase!! Please, just answer me--!!}

Natsuhiko wished for an answer, and the very next moment--

A thunderous roar and an intense impact shook the entire helicopter. And outside the window--

♪ BGM: Memento Mori

--was LABO, engulfed in smoke...

...N-no...!

Natsuhiko's hollow voice echoed inside the helicopter.

Aww, that's not fair, Sis. You just called me 'Jun' too, y'know!
How many times must I tell you... Sheesh...

So let's all meet up again.

Eventually, Ena spoke up in a quivering voice.

...Remember what Ms. Moribe said...? They risk their lives for their work... But... but still...!

...Jun... Thank you... I'm sorry...
Khh... ughh...!
...But you said... you'd bring Alice back...

As he heard everyone sob-- Natsuhiko gritted his teeth as a way to cope with his pent up rage.

(You said ''leave it to me'' didn't you...? You said... you'd make sure Jun and Ms. Tachibana got out of there, didn't you? You promised me. You promised them, didn't you...? So why, Watase... Why...? Why... Ghh...) {... Tell me, Watase. Did you really not get out of LABO...?}

But that telepathy garnered no response from Watase.

Commander: ...Returning to base.

The helicopter headed outside the city and began to rapidly accelerate--...