Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

I'll be there for you: 09/16/2031, 11:50

♪ BGM: Languid Hours of Rokumei City

--It had been exactly one year since the incident at LABO-- Watase and Kazami visited Rokumei City together. There was something important they had to take care of there. But there was somewhere they stopped at beforehand. It was the Rokumei City Central Fire Station-- Watase and Kazami's former workplace.

You don't think she's on a dispatch, do you?

Kazami said that worryingly as she looked at the front gate of the fire station. Watase smiled wryly and answered her.

Of course not. Perhaps the Commander's just keeping her tied up.

Watase and Kazami had planned to meet Jun at this spot today. They were going to take care of their business here together with Jun. That said, Jun had work today, so she said she could only get out during lunch break. And right at that moment--

♪ BGM: Challenger / Theme of Jun

They saw Jun rushing out of the fire station.

Oh, Moribe!
Heya! Long time no see, guys!

Jun ran up to them and gave them a broad grin.

You sure are looking well, Jun.
drat straight... at least, that's what I'd like to say, but I'm in a big jam. You see, we're kinda understaffed here at Sirius, seeing how two members died in the line of duty while two others resigned.
...I see.

Watase felt pain run through his heart at those words.

Ah, no need to get down about it. The Commander and the others were sad and confused at first... But we're now all completely back on our feet and working our asses off to rebuild Sirius. I've been leading the squad as the famous woman who survived 'Sirius' Longest Day'.

Tips posted:

TIP: Sirius' Longest Day
Category: Fiction

The series of events that started at 6:19 AM on September 16, 2030 with the occurrence of explosions in the 6th Laboratory of Atomic and Biological Organization in the outskirts of Rokumei City, resulting in the partial collapse of Special Elite Rescue Squad Sirius. Battalion Chief Hyogo Murakami, commander of Sirius, called this series of events ''Sirius' Longest Day''.

Watase, Team A's leader, was arrested for terrorism, Dojima and Hiyama died in the line of duty, and Kazami retired... Though they may have suffered heavy losses in personnel, Sirius is not an organization to collapse in the face of a handful of lost members, no matter how skilled they were. Having returned from LABO alive and more mentally mature, Jun is now a pillar of support for Sirius in its time of great change.

Wow, I can see why they'd rely on you.

Everyone in the fire department had come to call the dispatch to LABO ''Sirius' Longest Day'', though the details had apparently become a bit exaggerated over time. Having lived to tell the tale had also brought a huge boost to Jun's career. Jun then suddenly broke out into a knowing smirk.

By the way, I heard the big news, Captain~ You finally tied the knot with Sis, huh?
Mmph... you knew about that?
Of course she did. She was the first one I told.
So how'd you pop the question to her? C'mon, spill those deets, Captain! Oh wait, you're not the 'Captain' anymore, huh. What should I call you now?
Whatever you like. How about just 'Kasasagi' or something?
But wouldn't that name apply to Sis too? Seeing as how she's now 'Kazami Kasasagi' and all that.
Then what do you think?
Good question. Hmm, I know, I'll call you-- 'Bro'!
B-Bro!?
Well yeah? I mean, your Sis' husband, so that makes you Bro, right?
Bro, huh... Not sure I can get behind that one. Plus, I'm not sure about getting such an old little sister at this point in life either...
I don't see the problem with it, dear. Marrying me means that you're related to Jun as well now, right?
She's right, Bro. Just accept it already!

Watase found himself instinctively wincing in the face of their combined assault.

...Ah, fine, I get it! Call me whatever you want, okay!
Roger that! Then as your new little sister, you gotta call me 'Jun' from now on. No more 'Moribe'.
What a bossy little sister you are! Fine, whatever!

Jun and Kazami smiled at Watase's words. Watase shook his head in exasperation. Jun then asked him another question.

By the way, Bro, how do you plan on supporting Sis now? You got a job?
Yeah. Though after being at the core of such a huge incident, it's pretty much impossible for me to get a normal job. I've decided to join the ESP Bureau under Teach's instruction.
The ESP Bureau? Wait, you mean you're gonna be a Communicator commissioner?
That's right. After all, my wife is a Level 6 Communicator. Having your husband as the commissioner in charge of you is a big load off your mind, right?
Yes. He'll be observing me and protecting me from now on.
We'll be right by each other's sides for the rest of our lives.
I see... Then that means you won't be going back to Sirius, huh?

Those words hit too close to home. When he saw the lonely look on Jun's face, Watase answered her in a calm voice.

...We can't.

It was impossible for them to be civil servants of Rokumei City. Watase's position had clearly changed ever since that incident. He couldn't go back to his past, nor his old workplace, no matter how attached he was to either of them.

...I still fondly remember the days we spent here from time to time.
Me too...

Kazami also looked at the station as she said that. Watase had worked at that place for many years ever since he succeeded Wataru's dying wish and became a firefighter. He kept plunging into near certain death over and over again to save lives and protect others' futures. That desire still lived within him. It would never fade away even now that he'd changed jobs--

...Hey, Jun. I'm no longer a rescue worker... But I still plan to work on protecting others. I may not be working with you anymore, but my feelings remain unchanged.

Those words brought a smile to Jun's face--

...Yeah, I know.

--and she dove into Watase's chest.

...Jun?

Jun squeezed out her voice after Watase called her name.

...Hey, Captain, Lieutenant... Even if you guys have left Sirius... Even if you're living somewhere far away-- We'll always be squadmates. We shared the same meals, saved each other's butts, and hugged the border of life and death time and time again. Yes, that makes us...

--The word ''squadmates'' alone could not encompass all of that. Nor the word ''buddies''. No, they were far more important to each other than anyone else in the whole world. That made them a precious--

... family, right?
Yeah, that's the word!

She then broke into a relieved smile, as if a vast weight had been lifted from her shoulders.

Let's keep doing our best from here on out, Bro! You guys will always have a place to come home to here, you know. Just drop on by if anything happens, okay?
Yeah, of course. I'll drop by over again and again to get a glimpse of my cute little sister's face.

Watase said that, then rustled his hand through Jun's hair. A joyous smile came to her as she allowed herself to get lost in that sensation...