Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Grand Epilogue: 09/16/2031, 09:16

Alright, so those were the extra epilogue scenes that you get from going through the friendship scenes back in Route After and Route Before. Now we're going on to the real epilogue. But before that, the game just dumps a whole bunch of tips right in our face, maybe because it couldn't find a good way to put these in during the regular story. So let's check those out.

Tips posted:

TIP: Q
Category: Fiction

An anti-BC organization who claims that ''BC brings society nothing but anxiety''.

The organization is said to be centered around members of the Anti-BC League that once conducted activities in Rokumei City. One member of the Anti-BC League was infected by Communicator A's malice and ended up as one of the perpetrators of the Great Rokumei City Arson. As a result, the entire citizen's group gained infamy in Rokumei City and was forced to disband. Q slowly gains its members through direct contact and they scheme terrorist attacks against government designated top secret cities like Rokumei.

Considering how Q has its own weapons smuggling route, top leaders in the Rokumei City government believe that the holdovers from the organization's citizen's group days like Sonezaki must be led by someone considerably important. However, the true identity of that leader is completely unknown. The Q could stand for ''Question'' or ''Quarantine''.

BC is used by Communicators. Communicators are researched by top secret cities. Top secret cities are funded by the government who sees BC as a priority. Q sees all of these things as their enemy, yet it is these very things that define Q's existence.

Tips posted:

TIP: Communicator

The general term for people who can use BC to convert atmospheric W particles into M particles due to a congenital BC receptor mutation.

After the Grand Communicator Discovery, Communicators have been increasing in number throughout the world, and particularly in Japan. While a brain mutation may sound cool, it could also be called a brain disorder from another perspective. In fact, the higher a Communicator's aptitude (the greater the degree of their BC receptor mutation), the more susceptible they are to brain diseases and cancer. Communicators are confirmed to have extremely short lifespans.

Is BC a blessing for humanity, or is it a Pandora's box that should have been left unopened? Humanity is unable to even answer that question definitively.

Tips posted:

TIP: Shun Tenkawa

Natsuhiko's father. Deceased. Age 32 at time of death.

A Rank B Aptitude, Ability Level 4 Communicator, an extreme rarity before the dawning of the Grand Communicator Discovery. His wife, Miyoko Tenkawa, bore their only son, Natsuhiko, but when the child was only 5 years old, Shun passed away, leaving him a letter and his beloved watch. The details of Shun's death were not spoken of, but it is easy to imagine due to his status as a high-level Communicator. He accompanied Miyoko for a long time, and since she desired the reputation of a genius physicist, he joined her research team in Rokumei City's Parapsychology Research Center as Communicator S. Together, they contributed many advancements to the dawn of BC research from a physics approach. Those who knew him were under the impression that he was aloof, but the passion sleeping within his heart could be seen from his final letter to Natsuhiko.

Tips posted:

TIP: Miyoko Tenkawa

Natsuhiko's mother. A senior fellow at LABO.

Her specialty is particle physics, and she is world-renowned as an authority in the field. Upon the quick realization that Natsuhiko, the child her beloved husband left behind, had BC aptitude, she devoted her life to researching ways to prolong the life of Communicators, even if it meant she had to neglect their home.

As a result, distance was drawn between her and Natsuhiko. However, Natsuhiko eventually came to know how her research had been out of her love for him. Their mother-son relationship is now improving.

On the other side of her deep love as a mother lies her passionate curiosity as a researcher. And thus, she had Yuuri, a Rank S Aptitude Communicator like Natsuhiko, cooperate in groundbreaking experiments like the Informational Field Self-Awareness Development Experiment.

Tips posted:

TIP: Seiji Dojima

A rescue worker attached to Special Elite Rescue Squad Sirius. Age 32.

Ever since losing his girlfriend 16 years ago in the Great Rokumei City Arson, he firmly believed in the idea that danger is man's territory, and women should just obediently go home... a quite antiquated idea indeed. And thus, he silently opposed Kazami and Jun dispatching as rescue workers, hoping that they would find employment elsewhere and quickly back away from the front lines.

He always had a brash personality, but his apprehension around the women caused him to use abusive language towards them.

When he learned the truth about the Great Arson, he accepted Watase's invitation without hesitation and got on board his LABO terrorist attack plot as a member of Q. Unfortunately, after he got Subject N out of Area Zero in the plan to get her outside the facility, he was found by Kuroda and Higa, and tragically met his last moments in the ensuing confrontation.

Tips posted:

TIP: Kazuki Hiyama

A rescue worker attached to Special Elite Rescue Squad Sirius. Age 29.

Lost his younger brother 16 years ago in the Great Rokumei City Arson. He supported the mental side of Sirius as Watase's right hand man, calming down the brash Dojima with his prudent disposition and keeping Kazami in check when she was an overeager newcomer. When he learned about the truth about the Great Arson, he was somewhat hesitant, but still agreed with Watase's LABO terrorist attack plot. He became a member of Q alongside Dojima and participated in the terrorist attack, but when he tried to get Subject N out of LABO, he bumped into Kuroda and Higa.

After Higa broke Hiyama's legs, the rescue worker/terrorist still tried to escape, but he ran out of strength and got caught in a fire, leaving behind a tragic corpse.

Alright, that was a whole bunch of poo poo. Now, let's move on to the actual epilogue.

And now we have finally reached ''today''-- It's September 19, 2031, exactly one year after that incident.

That -I- have visited Rokumei City.

♪ BGM: Rondo Carrousel (Instrumental Arrange)

I slowly walk down the road as I feel that wind caress my cheeks. In my left hand is a bouquet. And in my right-- is the hand of the woman I love more than anything.

The weather's so nice, isn't it...?
Yeah, it's really calm and peaceful... The air never tasted this good in prison.

I'm relishing in the freedom I've finally obtained from the bottom of my heart. I'm finally walking-- not under confinement, nor under someone else's control, but on my own two feet. I never thought I could be so grateful for something we all take for granted.

I'll have to thank Teach for making sure I got released in time for today.
That's true...

Kazami casts her eyes downward. Her face from the side still looks as beautiful as ever.

...I know I just got out of prison, but I'm sorry for being so busy. A year's gone by and yet I still have lots to do.
No, don't be sorry... I don't mind. I'm just happy that you're alive... and that you can live by my side.
Kazami...

Kazami and I look at each other. But-- right then, we hear a voice calling out to us from far up ahead.

Geez, get a room, you guys!

I look to find Jun staring at us.

Hurry up or my lunch break's gonna end, you hear!? I'm not supposed to be here, so rapido!
Whoa now, no need to rush. Not today of all days.
I see you're as cheerful as always.
What're you on about? It's -because- it's today that I wanna act cheerful.

Our eyes widen at those words.

...That's true...
Then I guess it's about time we go see her, don't you think?
Yes.
Yeah.

We resume walking at those words. Our destination-- Rokumei Cemetery, located on the other side of the woods in the park. --Today's the anniversary of Nagisa's death. We overcame many obstacles just so we could visit her grave. And when we make our way to the Tachibana family grave, Nagisa's resting place--

Oh!

We find two familiar faces.

Oh my, someone's late.
Oh, haven't seen you people in ages.

It's Teach and old man Ukita. It looks like they got here before us and offered sticks of incense at Nagisa's grave.

Ms. Tsubakiyama, Mr. Ukita! You came here too!?
I apologize if we made you feel obliged to stop by at such a busy time...
Don't worry, this is far more important than anything on my plate right now.
That's right... and this marks my first full year of atonement.

Teach and the old man smile as they say that. We return their smiles, then offer flowers to Nagisa's grave.

...But man, it's been ages since I've seen you guys~ What've you been up to?
I reached out to Dr. Tenkawa after I was released from prison. We're currently gathering sympathizers to help us plan out the development of an ethically moral BC research facility. Like the PRC back in its days of yore.
I've been going back and forth to six different government designated top-secret cities. Man, I'm so busy I feel like I'm gonna die.
So similar problems really are going on in the other top-secret cities, aren't they?
Not as bad as Rokumei City, but yeah. They more or less all have skeletons in their closets.
...There's also the matter of Q too, isn't there?
It may look peaceful, but this country sure is full of problems, huh...

Ena replied with a sigh in her voice.

...It takes a huge incident like this one to wake people up before they notice these problems, huh. Even if they sense there's a problem, they never go looking for it... And as society gets more complex, so too do its problems. And when more people get involved, their own individual circumstances and definitions of justice get tangled up, and eventually it becomes difficult to tell who's in the wrong.

--Perhaps there really is some truth to that.

Whose fault was it that caused that insane incident-- the people running LABO, or Rokumei's city officials? Was it the fault of that pharmaceutical company that was business partners with LABO?

Perhaps ''Eishi Azumi'', the man who developed Alice's BC abilities, or ''Section Chief Tsubakiyama'', Teach's father who suggested the establishment of LABO, were also factors.

The malice of individuals may seem utterly trivial. But when one's malice spreads to others, it amplifies, then stagnates and decays. Sometimes it decays enough for the people in on the whole problem to not even notice it...

...But still, if there are problems, someone's gotta fix them, right?
Indeed. But even if you know of a problem, it is difficult to build the courage to correct it.
And sometimes, even those with that courage go about correcting the problems in decisively illegal ways.

The old man and I exchange wry smiles. Kazami mutters sadly.

...If it takes the loss of others for people to finally realize that... Then will we be forced to keep losing all sorts of things in the future?
If so, then does that mean... Nagisa's death was an inevitable part of that process?
No chance in hell.

I instantly answer Kazami's question.

We must never assume it's 'inevitable' for there to be victims... Never. There are those who can't be forgiven. Every problem in this world has its own root cause. That's a fact. If many people are involved, then they should all take responsibility.
Oh my, you're sounding rather full of yourself there.
You've got no right to talk, Mr. Ex-Terrorist~
Yeah, I was a terrorist-- the worst son of a bitch there was. If you just look at the incident last year by itself, then I deserve more blame for it than anyone else. Property damage, assembling with dangerous weapons, assault, violating the Swords and Firearms Control Law-- all of that and more is on me. It's a miracle a scoundrel like me got released in just a year. ...But I've atoned for my sins. So I figured that now that I'm out of prison, I'll work to make this world a better place. This time without taking up arms. I'm in no position to face the world... but at the very least, my intentions are true.

After I finish giving that rather self-indulgent speech, I expect to find everyone staring at me oddly, but--

...Well, that's just the kind of person you always were...
Well, you -have- gotten the resolve to bear those sins, right?
Besides, without the opportunity to start things over, there would be nobody left to take responsibility.
...I have no right to be saying anything, but I agree with you for now, Captain Kasasagi.

The four of them accept me with wry smiles. I mentally breathe a sigh of relief. Kazami then speaks up.

But that aside... I hope others can change just like you have. If they don't, then Nagisa and the others will truly never rest in peace.
...Sis... I'm sure they can change this time. When you look back on history, things like this have happened over and over again. Like with the Chernobyl power plant disaster or the incident at LABO last year. Both may have been dark chapters in history... But each time, people learn, people regret... and people reconsider their actions little by little. That's what I believe.

Teach suddenly speaks up when she hears that.

--You're talking about 'Before Crime * After Days', aren't you?

Tips posted:

TIP: Before Crime * After Days

A phenomenon of dramatic transition in society as proposed in a book of the same name by BC researcher and sociologist Chikage Sonomura.

In short, ''A society's values suddenly change when a major transgression is brought to the attention of its people''.

The chain of events set off by the explosions in Rokumei City's 6th Laboratory of Atomic and Biological Organization on September 16, 2030 exposed the dark side of Rokumei City to broad daylight, bringing about a significant paradigm shift. How do we face the issue of BC? The issue of Communicators? The issue of society as a whole?--

The people must decide and carve the future for themselves. But Natsuhiko Tenkawa, Watase Kasasagi, and all the concerned parties of the incident around them are most likely heading towards a good direction. Unfortunately, it is impossible to know for sure.

Huh?
You've never heard of it? It's a proposal this sociologist made about the phenomenon of drastic transitions in society. It refers to when there's a sudden change in society's value systems when you compare them before a 'crime' is exposed and in the days after. That's exactly how it is in this case. Society changes after something once thought 'normal' becomes deemed as 'strange' and 'criminal'. We have to fix what's wrong and we have to change ourselves too. If we don't, then our society will just get crazier and crazier... That's what almost everyone thinks.
I see...

That's certainly the case with me personally. I changed greatly ''before committing that crime'' and in ''the days after''. I don't mean to advocate crime at all, but I definitely thought that things needed to change. Both in this world and in myself...

...We've been able to live 'in the days after' we came face to face with that major incident. So we mustn't waste those days.

I look at Kazami after I say that.

Hey, Kazami. I swear I'll make this society as good of a place as I can. If we can change, then our surroundings should be able to change little by little too.

No-- they have to change. Even if that's a naive ideal of mine, I can't do anything unless I believe that. My true atonement is to devote the rest of my life to ensure that change. Kazami then finally smiles as if she can tell what I'm thinking.

...That's right. Malice may spread from person to person... But that's because good will does as well.
Yeah, exactly.

A thought crosses my mind when I hear that. Indeed-- when people come in contact, they definitely have some sort of mutual effect on each other. They then respond to that change, and their relationship starts to change too. If there is good will and the will to understand one another in there, then their relationship will surely turn out good. Much like how our relationships changed greatly in those nine hours. When I think about that, I suddenly start to wonder how ''he'' is doing.

Hey, Teach... about the brat...
Hmm?
Is he doing well? You would know, wouldn't you?
Oh my, are you actually worried about him?
Well, a little...
Oh brother, you sure ain't honest.
Well, this is just what things are like between two men.
I thought you'd become a bit calmer recently, but I guess that part of you hasn't changed a bit, has it?

I break out into a wry smile from Kazami and the others' comments.

--Of course I'm worried. How could I not be? We nearly fought to the death once. That's why I offer a silent prayer for his sake. I pray that he's living his life peacefully in those ''days after''.

--Everyone here surely feels the same way. They all must be praying for peaceful days for the partners they fought side-by-side with on that fateful day. ...And, around that time...