Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

In A Corner of This World: 09/16/2030, 17:42

Mashiro looked at Natsuhiko and Yuuri and secretly thought to herself.

(... I'm such a bad girl...)

♪ BGM: Words of Healing

almost snuggling up next to Natsuhiko. Mashiro sighed softly enough that nobody would notice.

(I've got such a pitch black mind... I'm the complete opposite of my name...)

The name ''Mashiro'' was given to her by her mother who had wanted to raise a girl as pure as the color white. But Mashiro was now tormented by the feelings her mother had placed into her name. --Mashiro was surprised from the bottom of her heart to have learned that Yuuri was alive. Her surprise soon turned into happiness. But even so, for a split second, she had another thought: ''If Yuuri's alive, then I don't have a chance... She's going to take Natsuhiko away.'' --She had that thought even though Yuuri was a precious friend to her. Even though Yuuri had gone to LABO instead of her, and wasted nine years of her life.

(I'm the worst...! People's lives and livelihoods are at stake here, and I have the audacity to think about love...?)

Even if it was for just a second, she really could not forgive herself for feeling bitter about her best friend's survival. And now that she had learned of Yuuri's devotion and love, she couldn't just ignore it. There was no possible way for her to ignore Yuuri's feelings and enjoy her own romance with Natsuhiko.

(... I guess I really should back out, then. I'll watch over the two of them like I always have...)

Once Mashiro had that thought, Yuuri glanced her way.

!
...? What's wrong, Mashiron?
N-no, it's nothing. I was just thinking that Ms. Tachibana's really taking her time getting here, huh?

She tried to smooth things over and look away. But she still felt Yuuri's gaze upon her.

(Please don't look, Yuuri... You're the last person I can reveal these feelings to...!)

With that thought in mind, she tried to close her heart, but then-- Yuuri's voice echoed in her head.

{M-Mashiron... could it be... That you thought I was going to take Hikorin away from you...?}
(!?)

Mashiro gasped and asked back with telepathy.

{Yuuri, no way... You read my mind?}
{... No, I didn't. I just thought that if I were you, I'd be feeling the same thing... I was thinking I'd back out too.}
{Huh...?}

Noticing the sorrow in Yuuri's expression, Mashiro bit her lip. Yuuri looked at Mashiro and continued.

{But Mashiron... that's not good for either of us. We can't keep on thinking that it's okay to make sacrifices for the sake of others.}
{Wh-why? You've sacrificed your life for Natsuhiko, haven't you?}
{That's exactly why. Mashiron, you see, I've lived my life thinking it would be okay to make sacrifices if it made everyone else happy. But today... I've gradually begun to notice something. That way of thinking just leads to everyone losing lots of things.}
{...}
{Mashiron, you've always loved Hikorin, haven't you...? Are you going to abandon those feelings? That won't make me happy at all!}
{... Yuuri.}

Mashiro's chest tightened as she heard Yuuri's mental voice. Mashiro knew. Yuuri wasn't just saying that to be nice. She was really thinking about Mashiro from the bottom of her heart. It was true. If Mashiro backed out now, she would have wasted nine years of her life thinking about Natsuhiko.

(But if I backed out... Would Yuuri be able to have a proper romance with Natsuhiko...?)

--Of course not. Just a minute ago, Mashiro was thinking about how she wouldn't have been able to, either. No matter how far apart they were, no matter how different their environments were, Mashiro and Yuuri had still lived with similar thoughts. If either of them backed out, it would cause tension between them and fundamentally change how they could act around Natsuhiko. And in the end, it could leave everyone unhappy.

(Then for everyone to be happy...!)

Mashiro looked at Yuuri and sent her telepathy. She mustered up the courage to give her near decade-long friend a decisive declaration.

{... Hey, Yuuri.}
{Wh-what?}
{In that case, let's fight over Natsuhiko, fair and square.}

It was Mashiro's first clear declaration of rivalry with Yuuri. Yuuri's face shined at the sound of those words.

♪ BGM: Double Bible (Instrumental Arrange)

{Sure! Ah, but... even if you say we're gonna fight... I don't think I can win against you, Mashiron...}
{Well, the feeling's mutual.}
{R-really?}
{Well, yeah, really. I know I told you this when we first met, but-- You're so gosh-darn cute, Yuuri. You're like a doll, and you're super gentle too. I've always admired you.}
{--}

Yuuri's face turned bright red at those words.

{Th-thank you, Mashiron... In that case, I'll be confident and give it my best.}
{Good. That's exactly what I want to hear.}

The two of them smiled at each other. They then glanced at Natsuhiko as he stared at the surveillance monitor.

{Good grief... How come two beautiful girls like us gotta fight over such a plain guy like him?}
{Teehee, I know, right?}
{Well he doesn't seem all that reliable on his own... so how about we help him out until everyone can escape?}
{So we're calling a truce until we get out of here, then?}
{No, Yuuri. Not a truce. An alliance.}

Mashiro answered Yuuri with a smile. --Mashiro felt the darkness filling her mind quietly dissipate. She realized that she had been waiting forever for this day. The day she could find herself in the cliched, yet healthy youthful situation of fighting with the friend she loved over the boy they both loved. And she was sure that if she gave it her very best, without holding back for her best friend-- Then even if her love were to crumble, it would crumble without a single regret.

{... Thank you, Yuuri... I'm so glad to be your friend.}

And with those final words, their time that had been frozen for nine years-- Began to move once again.