Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Memories of You: 09/16/2030, 13:20

Ena began to harbor the doubt that the rescue squad could be terrorists. That doubt inevitably led her to doubt those around her as well. What about Kazami? What about Jun? And what about--

(--Captain Kasasagi... Is he a terrorist...?)

That question eventually became the most pressing issue within Ena.

♪ BGM: Psychological Warfare

...Ena, I will warn you about one thing out of consideration for Natsuhiko. Be careful of that 'captain'. He's a dangerous man.
Huh?

Right after that, Watase appeared, shouting.

H-hey! What's that supposed to mean!?
!
Ah, Ms. Sannomiya, wait!

...Salyu ran away without listening to Ena when she tried to stop her. After they had lost her, Ena and Watase looked at each other and spoke.

But... what did that girl mean when she said I was 'dangerous'?
She did say that, didn't she... Do you have any idea about what she was talking about?
...Sorry, but no.
I see...

She looked at Watase's face and thought to herself.

(... Judging by Ms. Sannomiya's tone of voice and what the kids told me yesterday, that would make Captain Kasasagi the terrorist. But there's something about that conclusion that I don't agree with.)

At first, Ena had found him suspicious as well. If his ''amnesia'' were a lie, then he'd clearly be up to no good-- But if his amnesia were real, then there was a high possibility that somebody had erased his memory. She could think of two reasons somebody would erase it: The first possibility was that Watase really was a terrorist, and someone with good intentions erased his memory to nullify him as a threat. The other possibility was that a test subject happened to come across Watase and erased his memory to escape the facility.

(Hopefully it's the latter...)

That was what Ena hoped. For regardless of what the true Watase's nature was-- the current Watase at least was an extraordinarily desirable man. He had the courage to leap into blazing fire, poisonous gas, and high contamination to save complete strangers. He had the kindness to risk his own life to protect those in danger... Ena didn't want to believe that the Watase she knew was only a temporary personality born from his memory loss.

♪ BGM: Looming Crisis

Ena gave Watase a warning.

Listen, Captain Kasasagi. Doubt everything around you. That includes the people nearby, this facility, and occasionally everything you see. Your own preconceptions may be tricking you, after all. We might overlook something vital if we lower our guards. Something that may cost us our lives.

She thought that unless she told him that, he might fall into someone's trap. Watase had a tendency to believe others too easily. That would normally be a virtue, but it was an invitation for danger in these circumstances. However-- Watase looked Ena back in the eye and responded.

...True, the things I believe in could be tricking me. But I still trust you in spite of that.
Huh...?

♪ BGM: Achiever / Theme of Ena

'Faith' without risk is a downright lie, isn't it? If you say you 'trust' or 'don't trust' something but you keep yourself in a safe position, your words hold no power whatsoever. So if you're ever doubted from this point onward, I will trust and cover for you unconditionally. ...I'm sure that's what your father would have done too.
...!

Those words impressed Ena. Those were the thoughts of a softhearted person who paid no heed to human malice whatsoever. However-- she suddenly recalled her father's words. ''The most important thing humans have is the ability to trust.'' Perhaps Watase would stick to that conviction just like her father had. Ena had somewhat started to realize that possibility.

(... If Captain Kasasagi isn't a terrorist, but a righteous rescue worker, then...)

Watase seemed like he could be the most reliable partner for Ena at that point.

(... Then I'll open up my heart. My true heart that I've never opened up to anybody...)

Ena looked at Watase's face and secretly swore that to herself.