Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Pavane pour une infante defunte: Pavane for a Dead Princess: 10/06/2027, 14:00

She apparently had no experience with romance whatsoever, as she never particularly cared about what she wore-- But ever since she and Watase started going out, she began to grow conscientious of her appearance.

♪ BGM: Loyalist / Theme of Tachibana

It happened on one of their days off. Kazami called out to Watase as soon as she arrived at the scheduled meeting place.

It's been ages since I last wore a skirt... It... doesn't look weird, does it?
Not at all. It looks really good on you, Kazami.
I-I see... thank goodness.

Though given Kazami's good looks, almost anything would look good on her in its own way. But rather than her change in appearance, what made Watase happier was the consideration she showed for him that drove her so far as to dress nicely for him.

Okay then, we should get a move on. The movie's about to start.
Yes!

Watase took Kazami's hand and walked off with her. --After the movie, the two of them ate together and went shopping-- Then they decided to head back home after having a little drink.

Today sure was fun, wasn't it...?
Yeah, I had fun. We have another off-day coming up in a little while, so let's come back then.
Yes...

However, Kazami suddenly hung her head down when she said that.

Hmm, what is it?
...I'm sorry... Maybe I'll spoil the mood by saying this...

Kazami paused, then continued in a low voice.

But I feel a little guilty about having so much fun. I wonder if it's okay for me to be happy when I couldn't even save my sister...

♪ BGM: Memento Mori

Watase gasped. It seemed the death of Kazami's sister still weighed heavily on her mind. But the way she looked so weak at that moment reminded him of his own past self.

(... We really are similar, huh.)

It was with that thought that Watase held Kazami's hand and spoke.

Hey, Kazami... truth is, there's something I haven't told you yet. I lost my own sister in a disaster too.
Huh...!?

--Watase then told Kazami about his past for the first time. About how he had an older twin sister named Wataru. About how he'd almost died in the Great Rokumei City Arson. About how Wataru had sacrificed her own life to save him. And about how he inherited her last wish to become a rescue worker-- Once he finished telling her all that, Kazami replied with a shaky voice.

No way...
Right after I lost my sister, I felt the same way you're feeling now. It felt like agony knowing I had survived. But you know, Kazami... this is what I think. Since others granted us the right to live, we owe it to them to live happily, don't we?

Watase gazed at Kazami as he spoke.

Of course, the dead can't be happy or sad. But if there really is a heaven or whatever-- Do you think the dead would take pleasure in seeing us unhappy? ...There's no way that they would.

Kazami's eyes widened at those words.

...Is it... Is it okay for me to be happy?
Yeah. For your sister's sake too.
Yes... you're exactly right...

Kazami squeezed Watase's hand back in a tight grip.

...Thank you so much, Ca-- Watase...

Watase quietly wrapped his arms around Kazami's head. --The one thing he couldn't say was ''I'll make sure you stay happy''. For in their line of work, there was no guarantee any one of them would survive forever just because they were close.

(But once I start piling up on the years a little bit more... and stop working on the front lines... Then I swear I'll make her my...)

All he could do now was keep it all looked away in his heart.

...Let's go, Kazami.
...Yes.

Though Watase didn't say where they were going, Kazami gave a nod. Even without words, they could feel their desire for each other. --Just then, a gentle evening breeze passed by and engulfed the couple.

(... We'll be back to life on the battlefield again starting tomorrow. But at least for right now...)

Watase made a silent prayer as he gazed at Kazami's face. If only this moment of peace could last forever...