Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Odds & Ends: 07/09/2017, 17:45

♪ BGM: Convergence

Well, it's been quite the ride, but alas, it seems like it's about to come to an end. Still, in my newly found tradition, I'm going to close out this LP with a wrap-up post. First of all, let's take a look at how you ranked the characters now:

Well, it turns out that not a lot changed! Compared to the last one, the top five are exactly the same, and at the other end, Natsuhiko and Yuuri took a dive and are now taking up the last two slots, meaning Mashiro and Ukita went up a bit. Still, overall, you've stayed true to what you said before. I like that consistency you're showing. The honorable and dishonorable mentions were also remarkably uniform - 100% of the honorable mentions were for Subject N, and 100% for the dishonorable mentions were for Miyoko Tenkawa. I kind of expected the latter to happen. Now, here's some closing thoughts:

The LP:

- The one thing that has to be said about this LP is that I would not have finished this without OCR software. I'm so loving grateful I ended up using that - it can't be overstated how much work that saved me. The errors it introduced were few and far between. I highly recommend anybody looking to do SSLPs of any text-heavy game look into OCR. It's a god drat lifesaver.

- There's a few regrets I do have with this LP. For one thing, the voting was kind of superfluous at times, and I was really just having it because I felt like I should have it. From Route Double onwards, voting was basically a formality that only slightly changed the order in which I posted updates - and then I went and posted multiple updates in the same day, making it even more moot, especially since I deliberately hid correct votes from you as well. Alas.

- Another thing I regret is that I basically stopped having actual commentary in the LP at a fairly early point. I just did the necessary formalities, like saying when a scene would change or something like that, but overall, I just let the game be the game. I mean, I guess that can also be interpreted as a good thing.

- Looking at the metrics, I'm pretty sure this is the most popular LP I've had on these forums so far. And really, looking at the games I've LPed, I guess an anime visual novel is probably one of the more "mainstream" things I've done. My LPs are weird, is what I'm gathering.

The Game:

- This game will hold a special place in my heart. It does a whole lot of things I like in stories, but what I particularly like is that it's a story that doesn't have a primary antagonist. Sure, LABO and Subject N play the roles of the antagonists, but neither were planning on this happening. LABO would have preferred it if none of this happened, and Subject N was just a force of nature that was unleashed due to a plan going wrong. None of this was *supposed* to happen, and nobody was *supposed* to be here. This is all the result of people loving up, and I like that.

- Another thing I liked was the Senses Sympathy System. There was a lot of backlash against the system for being a vague mess that throws you into bad ends without really giving you a reason, but to be honest, that's exactly why I like it. I like the lack of being in control, just having a single thing you can do by telling the main character "you like this person" and "you don't like this person" without having any real knowledge of what exactly that's going to make the main character do. One good thing is that there's not a lot of penalty for loving up - with most decisions, you can just reload and you're at best set back about five minutes. There are some rather crippling setbacks (having to "save more time" in Route After, getting thrown back several chapters in Route Before because you didn't trust people enough), but overall, it's not too big a problem, and the feeling of not really being in control of anything makes for some fun times.

Overall, there's not a lot to be said here compared to, say, The Political Machine. The game itself sort of just petered out with the Xtend Episode, and as such, we've all sort of already come to terms with the end of this, and this is kind of just a formality. I guess I just can't resist putting a bow on top of things.

Still, I'm glad there were a lot of you that enjoyed this game and this LP. I hope to see you around for my next project - which is probably going to be Vampires Dawn 2. I guess that only makes sense - it's the one real loose end I still have left open. So tying that up is going to be fun. See you there!

LET'S PLAY ROOT DOUBLE -BEFORE CRIME * AFTER DAYS- - THE END