Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Update Forty Eight: Disguise Isn't Who He Says He Is

Howdy, folks, and welcome back! Last time, on Final Fantasy VI Advance, we saw Terra in Mobliz, then saw her get her rear end kicked, then we left. We'll go back, eventually, but for now, it's on to Nikeah. Let's roll.

You might be wondering why we're popping into this update in what appears to be the middle of loving nowhere.

That tower is the one the Cult of Kefka built.

We can't reach it quite yet, and that's fine by me. If we went in there now, we'd get our teeth knocked out of our buttholes.

Hell, when we go back later, that still might happen. Hopefully, by then, I'll be fully prepared.

On the mini-map, we're in the serpent's eye, roughly. I can see a lot of animal shapes in the new map.

To me, we're currently on the serpent; we just left the octopus. West of the serpent's jaws is what I call the pig, and west of that is Chocobo land.

See that goofy looking NPC right there?

He's new.

He's just here to talk about a new sidequest in the game.

There are four new espers in Final Fantasy VI Advance, and we'll be getting all of them.

There's some new magic to learn, as well as some extra fights to snag these new fellas.

We're going to snag some new weaponry here, as well as a bit of new armor.

Alright, good news, Doma still exists.

However, on the flip side, Freddy Krueger has set up shop there.

That's what I want in an RPG, come to think of it. Give me something like the espers, something I can equip to learn new spells and abilities, but make them horror movie monsters and villains.

Let's take a second to talk about this motherfucking thing.

The attack boost is who gives a poo poo, but it gives +7 to loving magic and +20 Magic Evade. Terra and Celes can both equip it, and they're the two I want to boost as high as possible.

Magic is the "gently caress the enemies" stat of this game. Magic is incredibly powerful and some of the best skills run off of your magic stat (like the Magic command itself and Blitz), so pumping your magic is a wise move.

You can also keep track of your character's EXP gains and make sure they have Zona Seeker equipped upon level up, which gives them +2 magic.

You might be thinking about how some of Remain's Tools run off of his magic stat. Don't think about that. I have other plans for the King of Figaro.

Even though I'm letting you guys vote on who I'm bringing, I still have a core team that I'm building. It's an ingrained habit at this point.

gently caress off, kid, your business sucks.

Behind the scenes, I've been letting people in my party gather spells that I'm going to be getting use out of; the basic elements, healing magic, some status restorative stuff.

No matter who I'm bringing along, I at least want everyone in the party able to heal and hit any elemental weaknesses that may be present. There are some I can't currently get to (Wind, Water and Earth, for example), but for the most part, I'm covered.

Mowgli is the exception here, since his Rages give him so much versatility that I won't even worry about making sure he's got magic to use.

Final Fantasy VI isn't a very difficult game to crack open. Just keep a few basic things in mind and you're set for most of the game.

The real meat here is the journey of it all.

Figaro punishments are hardcore; they cut off asses and put them in the back.

Oh, someone with a name. Must be important!

Thankfully, the sandworms were too busy in the castle itself to devour these guys.

Are--Are we part of the gang now?

We saw them back at the beginning of the game, if you'll recall back that far. Or check the update. I think we saw them, and I don't remember.

Let's track down this Gerad.

Wow, the end of the world aged the gently caress out of Remain.

...And made him a mouthy bitch.

Rude, too! Very rude!

He might be in the sad position, but he's examining the stuff the kid has for sale.

Don't buy that bullshit! Goddammit!

Ugh. I've got most of that crap in my inventory.

I don't think Remain would have to play all that hard.

Maybe if we had kept his name as Edgar, the fake name would make more sense.

Mainer, Namier, Rinam, Nimaer would all have worked, here, but we can't expect the game to make anagrams of every name a player could input.

Olivia, he wasn't talking to Leave.

Oddly enough, he has nothing to say to his brother.

Leave apparently didn't figure out that Gerad was his twin, despite Olivia talking about it. Or maybe he just kept quiet, but Leave isn't really the quiet type.

Whatever, we're going after him.

I don't know if anyone would have been fooled by this bullshit. It's why I'm not even trying to play into it.

It seems that Santa was locked in Figaro's dungeon.

Nobody will ever look over here!

Leviathan is one of the new espers. We can actually fight him really soon, but I'm going to need a few things before I take him on.

That's all I'm saying about the new espers. The other three...I can't imagine anyone will guess them. If you don't know them, don't look them up. I think they're rather nice surprises.

Leviathan is one of those that you just expect to be in a Final Fantasy game, though. It's actually kind of surprising he wasn't around in the SNES version.

We'll head over there in a minute.

And, now, if we take the boat back to Nikeah, we'll be attacked by Leviathan. We're not doing that right now, though.

Thieves? They're dressed like merchants!

I like the one standing on the others' shoulders. It's funny to (probably only) me.

Unfortunately, we can't tool around in the Magitek Armor.

Since there's not really much else of note right now (that I know of), let's go harass Gerad some more.

Clearly not.

Oh, I wonder who that was.

But if there's a tunnel leading into the castle, shouldn't there be air?

What little girl? I only know of one in this world...

At least tell us where you got the kickass jacket, man.

Just so you know, Leave still says nothing. In fact, you don't have to visit Tzen to be able to come here and have this roll out.

In the second half of the game, there are only three mandatory characters. Everyone else is literally optional.

And, yes, we're following them on a chocobo. I thought it was farther to the cave than it really is.

As it turns out, we could have walked there in about ten seconds. Still, chocobos. :colbert:

Siegfried is the loser from the Phantom Train, if you've forgotten.

He does a great job of clearing out the monsters, as we get into a fight literally on the steps he just left.

The two fatties in the front are called Humpty, while the malformed monster in the back is a Cruller; the palette swap is a Neck Hunter.

Humpties are undead, which means they're weak to Fire and Holy, as is the Cruller. The Neck Hunter is a human, though, so he's weak to Poison.

Humpties have 800 HP, while the Cruller has 1,334. I'm not sure what they can do, honestly, since I always wipe them out before they can act.

The Neck Hunter can confuse your party members, which can lead to bad times. They also have 1,334 HP.

Leave gained a level after the fight and picked up a new Blitz! :sugartits:

It's Wind elemental and deals a good amount of damage, in addition to hitting all enemies on screen. You'll notice Chakra next to it, which is a healing Blitz; it takes Leave's current HP, divides it by how many party members there are, and heals them for that amount, with no damage done to Leave.

I just wanted to show off the Dante, as well as Razor Gale.

I don't have a good .gifable moment of it, but there's a boss fight coming up soon that will show it off nicely.

Just as described, Leave throws a blade of wind at the enemy. It has a spell power of 78, which doesn't mean much, since I haven't listed those numbers for other spells. So, to provide reference, Fira, Blizzara and Thundara have powers of 60, 62, and 61, respectively.

It's decently powerful. Wind is also a hard element to be able to use reliably, and most Wind attacks come from the enemies of the game.

Oh, before I forget, Dante has 1,945 HP and is weak to Poison, as he's a humanoid enemy. And...Undead? I didn't know that, Bestiary. But, whatever you say.

Alright, it's the Figaro Cave. We've been here, it's not that much different.

So we'll skip to the relevant part of our journey.

The entrance to the other side of the cave has disappeared, but that turtle is still there.

However, we cannot use this as a healing spring any longer.

Congrats, you're the turtle whisperer.

:smith:

Thankfully, these aren't Koopa turtles and don't go flying out of their shell when jumped on.

And off we go!

Siegfried is a thieving dick.

Okay, where was I? I had to put the little one back to bed and--Oh, right.

Maybe we can get a little bit of treasure up here.

Goddammit.

Then again, that surprised reaction might be our true treasure.

Yeah, we're not catching him.

He's gone somewhere, and we can't get ahold of him to find out what the good loot was.

I was about to ask a question as if I was playing along with the Gerad farce, but then I remember that I wasn't doing that.

We'll stop off here, though. The update will get into too loving long territory if we go through the castle and the boss fight.

Next time, we'll go through the castle and have a boss fight! Stay tuned!