Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

What's in a Name?

Lore for... Fat Jokes

Where to begin with this update? There's actually so much to talk about! One of the most fantastic things about Beyond the Dark Portal is the expansion brought a whole lot more character to the orc clans. As I mentioned in the update, the Bonechewers actually feel meaty and brutish. It reflects well their lore of being cannibalistic psychopaths that couldn't have breakfast without butchering one another.

Swag.

Yes, these orcs are so crazy they actually wear the remains and entrails of their victims. This definitely makes sense given that their chieftain, Hurkan Skullsplinter, wears the skull of Gul'dan on his belt as a trophy. How did he get that skull? Well, that's a very good question. Gul'dan was killed within the Tomb of Sargeras, and I don't know of anyone who entered within the Tomb after the Second War and before the events of Beyond the Dark Portal. This is pretty much a case of, "Well, gently caress it. It happened, okay? We can't explain it either!" (Ugh, nevermind, this was explained years after this was first written. Apparently one of Gul'dan's warlocks took the skull out with him? I mean, that also makes very little sense, but here we are!)

As the story goes, Grom Hellscream kills Hurkan himself to claim the skull. No one is really shocked by this. After that, Tagar Spinebreaker took control of the Bonechewers and lent their aid to Ner'zhul in his quest to open the portal.

:siren:SPOILER::siren: Ner'zhul has a much larger goal than simply opening the portal.

Does anyone else smell a sit-com? I smell a sit-com.

On to naming conventions! Kargath Bladefist. You motherfucker. The manual for Beyond the Dark Portal states his name as Kargath Bladefist in some areas, but Korgath in others. In the game (both in mission briefing and on his unit) he is called Korgath Bladefist. Of course, I always assumed that his name was Korgath then.

Then along comes World of Warcraft. We go from a scythe-handed, eye-patch wearing grizzled warrior of the Horde named Korgath to an orc with both eyes and a sword attached to each arm named Kargath. I'd share some pictures, but... spoilers aplenty even looking at him!

But what about our roly-poly friend, Dentarg? Surely we have nothing to talk about with him! Well, Dentarg here has two heads. It makes sense, he's an ogre-magi and ogre-magi have two heads. However, in the books, Dentarg is referred to as having only one head. This is 100% a :spergin: moment, as it's probably just the writer, Aaron Rosenberg, forgetting that Dentarg was a two-headed ogre. I like the idea, however, as it kind of defines Dentarg as a more interesting character. He isn't a magical experiment gifted with powers beyond his race's understanding, but rather an exception to the rule.

I always seem to complain about that which could have been!