Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

♪ BGM: Silence ♫

Alright, we're back at the secret base, of which we now know that it's not so secret any more, of which we now know that more anti-Future-Foundation sentiment is building up in it, and of which we now know that the Warriors of Hope are planning to attack it. So, yeah, plenty of things to be confident in the future about. Let's see how things turn out.

Yeah, see, that's a bad sign. When you enter a place, ask where somebody is, and the one you're talking to just turns around and leaves, that is not a sign that you should stay there.

Umm... Hello?

♪ BGM: DSO_Beautiful Dead

Now, I want to hear the whole story, but first...
Welcome back! Come, leap into my arms!
Jeez, this guy developed a taste for hugs fast!
C'mon, don't be modest! Do it! Do iiit!
I-I guess I can... I haven't taken a bath for a while, so I might be a little sticky...
Oh. How about you comb out your hair, take a bath, and change your clothes and undergarments first?
Geez, pushy! Why don't I just wrap myself in a bow for you, too?
Well, I was trying to do a dirty joke, since usually I'm very clean. As a change of pace. Anyway... You two must be tired. Why don't you just rest for a while?
With the mood in here, I don't think I could sleep even if I wanted to. Aside from you, everyone seems...unwelcoming.
Th-That's not it! They're just...shy! I mean, not just one, but two girls in school uniforms? That's enough to make a man's heart burst! I've heard that you only appreciate being high school age after you've graduated high school...
Hey everyone! Aren't you glad these young girls came back to us!?

Hrm.

See, totally welcoming!
What the hell are you talking about!? Are your ears busted or something?
Hey, Shirokuma... Thanks for the offer, but I really don't feel like resting right now.
Komaru...what happened? Did the connection not work?
No, the connection worked fine. But I'm just not sure Future Foundation is going to come through.
I see... So that's why you're so down...
I'm sorry... Do you want me to pat your head?
Pat her head? How many heads have you crushed with a hand like that?
L-Like I said, I don't do anything like that!
Yeah, I know. I trust you, Shirokuma. ...You're the only one I can trust anymore.
Hmph...

♪ BGM: DSO_Welcome Despair Academy

I... I don't know what to do anymore.
... To tell you the truth, Haiji and the others are in a conference discussing exactly that.
Why don't you go on in and join them?
Huh? B-But...
That's not a good idea. Have you already forgotten you ignored his warning and went to Towa Tower?
Oh, that's nothing! That was just a small misunderstanding, we still have the same goal! To stop these out of control kids, and free the mistreated adults... Isn't that right?
I...didn't really think it through that far.

Yeah, I think Komaru's goal up to this point has been like "Step 1: Get the gently caress out. Step 2: Maybe rescue somebody else if they're currently tagging along?". The part where she saves the entire city hasn't really come up yet.

No, really. I know you can do it.
Huh?
Rather... You have to do it. You have to be able to save the adults.
Wh-What're you saying? She's the complete opposite kind of girl you want for this!
This is Armageddon! And we gotta band together and destroy that Kid asteroid!
C'mon, our future is in there!
Jeez, what's wrong with him?

♪ BGM: Secret Base ~Left Behind By The Adults~

Well, here we are again. Let's see how people are holding up.

Ah...
A-Are you alright...?
Ah... Ah...

This guy is just wordlessly freaking out.

This guy was the one shouting at the monitor before... Something about his wife...
Ah... Ah...
So...how'd he end up like this?

We can now enter the four little houses in the base, and they hold collectibles!

♪ BGM: DSO_Beautiful Dead

What's your special talent?
Didn't I tell you? My talent is writing. They used to call me the "Ultimate Writing Prodigy"...
Wow, that's so cool! A novelist! That's really admirable!
I-It doesn't mean anything to me to be admired by a talentless girl like you.
Hmph, you think I'm talentless, but really I'm super good at something!
You're gonna say you're super good at reading manga or something, right?
...drat.
Wait, you were really going to say that?
N-No! I'm special in tons of ways! Like how I use a desk mat instead of a fan when it's hot... Or how I only get called on in class when I *don't* know the answer...
...The only thing abnormal about you is your stupidity.
...Kinda wish I was more normal in that area, then.
Now that I think about it, your reactions are all pretty normal, too.
N-No, stop! Don't treat me like a normal person anymore!
How fast do you run a 100 meter dash?
...I wanna say...18 seconds.
And what's your favorite music?
...Top 40.
...Horrifying.
Jeez, stop it already... You're making me sad.
What's your favorite saying?
...All's well that ends well.
And your favorite food?
Um, it's...swallow's nest and tuna eyeballs.
...What?
Hm? Something wrong?
No, I must have...heard you wrong. What's your favorite food?
I told you, swallow's nest, tuna eyeballs... Oh, I also like kangaroo meat.
...I'm going to pretend we never had this conversation!

♪ BGM: Secret Base ~Left Behind By The Adults~

No more... I can't take it anymore!
...Maybe it's better to just leave her alone.

So the adults in the base are going stir crazy. Well, I'm sure Haiji is already planning how he can next say that this isn't the time to act yet and we just need to wait another month for the right moment. That'll cheer them right up.

Next, another collectible.

Wooo, corporate propaganda!

Another collectible over here.

♪ Jingle: Skill GET!

More EXP, always welcomed.

And another collectible.

Some more backstory about Hope's Peak Elementary.

It's going to be just fine... I think.
I-I sure hope so... ...But I really do feel like I can hear them. Their laugh... I-It's going to be alright... Sure it is, right? Monokumas aren't going to get down here...
I-It's gonna be fine!
U-Ugh... It's no use... I can hear them! The laughing!
H-He's losing it...

Everything is fine here.

And one more collectible for the road.

Hrm. Looks like the anti-Future-Foundation sentiment is coming from Towa itself.

I-I can't die in a place like this... Let me outta here!

Yep, everything fine here.

And? What's wrong with that?
I've heard rumors. Hm, Future Foundation wants to destroy this entire town.
...Huh?
O-Of course they don't! Who's spreading a rumor like that?
I dunno, but I know there are plenty of people here who believe it. ...You should be careful.

Yeah, staying here is looking like a better and better idea. Well, let's have a chat with Hiroko.

Well, I figured you would. How should I put it...? There's something different about you two, compared to these people.
What do you mean?
How can I say it...? The air around you, it's different. You two are always facing forward. But in here, the air is getting heavier and heavier. Everyone's stressed. Stuck in a dark and moldy place like this, how could you not be...?
Anyway... You went outside... Can you tell me about it? Did you get some kind of clue about people with wristbands?

And... that's the conversation. I guess we talk to her again?

♪ BGM: Abnormality on the Girls' Front Line

Enough dilly-dallying. Hurry up and show her. You always say "normal" this and "normal" that, but *now* you're freezing up?
...What do you mean?
Nothing. I was just saying something normal, to use your favorite word.
Um... What's up with you two?

Uh... talk to her again?

What, do you both have food poisoning or somethin'?

Hrm. I guess Komaru really doesn't want to show Hiroko her own Hit List entry.

Guess we'll head into the conference and see what's what.

♪ BGM: DSO_DISTRUST

OK, so there's multiple male adults here in this scene, but let's be honest, it don't make a gently caress who of these generic people is talking, and I can't be arsed to make specific portraits.

But the kids have those Monokumas on their side. We have to do something about them, first.
What do you mean by that?
It's like I said. We have to take them out somehow!
I'm at my wit's end here... If I stay underground another minute I'm gonna lose it!
I'm telling you, without a plan, a fight right now is far too risky!
Haiji... As leader, what do you think?
I have everyone's lives in my hands. There's no way I'd put you all in danger. I'm completely against a suicide attack, even for those who are prepared to die.
So you want us to just *stay* here? You're telling us to spend our lives in this lovely place, constantly afraid of those kids?
My principle is to not waste lives. As a leader, I cannot accept a plan that defies that.
B-But...
I'm not telling you to stay here forever. I'm just saying now is not the right time.
...Does anyone else have any ideas?

♪ BGM: DSO_Weekly Despair Magazine

H-Hello...
You two... Why are you two here? I already told you, I don't wanna talk to you anymore.
Now now! It's not the time to argue. You guys have to get along, especially at a time like this!
Regardless... This conference is over.
No, not yet! It's not like you've considered all the options yet, right? Remember the idea I brought up before? Did you consider that?
I already told you, it's impossible.
I understand how you feel, but...
Hey... What exactly are you guys talking about?
It's...about persuading the children.
Persuade!?
*That's* your idea? It's obviously a little late for that, don't you think!?
But you guys are all humans! You can come to an agreement with words instead of violence...
You really think a group of monsters like those kids can be *reasoned* with?
I bet they'd kill us the moment we showed up to treat with them.
Plus, this group here... There can't be peace with those kids. You know what they've done.
B-But still, why don't you at least try!? It's like Shirokuma said, we're all humans...
Did you already forget who we're dealing with? Remember what that P.E. punk showed us?

♪ BGM: DSO_Despair-Syndrome

As Hero, I hunted them down and let everyone go free!

Those brats don't even care about family. Things like persuasion... It will never work.
That's right! They're not human, they're demons!
And not just that, even if we tried to use family to persuade them, it's not possible. The survivors here don't have any children anyway.
...Huh? W-Wait, you mean everyone here doesn't have any kids? But there's so many adults here!
It's probably not a coincidence. Those kids are focusing on parents first.
Wh-Why?
Who knows...? They have a deep-seeded hatred of the ones who raised them. It's messed up.
...It's impossible to persuade a group like that. I'm completely against the idea.
But, if fighting is impossible, and persuasion is impossible... What are you going to do?
Didn't I already say it? The best plan is to just wait for a while for a good opportunity.
And exactly how long is this "for a while"?
I-I don't know. But now's the time to toughen up and endure it.

♪ BGM: DSO_All All Apologies

You say "wait" and "endure"... You're just repeating the fact you're not gonna do anything.
...You're an outsider. How could you possibly understand? I am...the leader of this Resistance. I have to think about the lives of *everyone* here.
What "resistance"? A useless l-leader like you... You're even more of a burden than this chick!
What did you say?
H-Hey! You two!
You don't think about others and just say whatever you want... You're no different than those kids.
You're the one who's a child. Complaining, not even doing anything...
If you don't like the way I lead, then you can *leave*. No one is going to stop you.
You don't have to tell me twice, I'm leaving. But I know you're wrong.
Let's go...Omaru.
You're the one who's wrong, Toko.
...Huh? Wh-What are you saying!?

♪ BGM: DSO_Welcome Despair Academy

You...don't understand... You don't understand the feelings of the weak at all...
I-I'm not blaming them for being weak, I'm blaming them for using it as an excuse!
That's exactly my point! The reason they don't do anything is because they can't build confidence! I would know! You're someone strong, with talent, chosen for Hope's Peak Academy and Future Foundation...
You don't know how people like me feel! You don't know what it's like!
...I don't understand what it's like to be weak? You think I'm "chosen"?
You must be kidding. What's so great about me, huh? I'm a w-walking inferiority complex!
I don't have confidence! I never have! But what's going to change if I just keep saying that? Using that as an excuse every day!? I-I learned that...from the killing. I suffered for it, but I did something about it.
So for you to say that l was just "chosen," like I had nothing to do with it... I won't allow it.
Please, wait guys! Ooh, fighting is a big no no!

But suddenly!

Huh!?

♪ BGM: Business Trip Version Punishment ~Monokuma Raid Episode~

Monokumas are making their way through the sewers...

...up the ladder...

...and the door isn't exactly holding up well.

The adults are faring about as well as you'd expect, too.

How did the children find out about this place!?
That's not important right now! Just run!

...Wait! Please...protect everyone!
P-Protect?
If this keeps up, everyone will be killed! If you can at least buy us some time... I beg you, please! We need you!
...Now's not the time to argue. If we don't fight, our lives are in danger too.
...F-Fine.

♪ BGM: DSO_Living to the Fullest

Alright, so now we need to defend the secret base. Well, I mean, I guess we can stop calling it "secret" now.

This is a relatively simple sequence - there's a steady stream of regular and Bomber Monokumas coming, and you need to defend five adults, similar to how we defended Shirokuma and Taichi in earlier segments. This one is however quite tough as far as keeping everyone alive is concerned - especially if you're like me and still obsess over getting Nice Shots even in situations like this. Gotta get that paper, man. Well, it's not like all of them need to stay alive anyway. You lose if you lose too many of them, but some are acceptable losses. While you're trying to shoot Monokumas, Shirokuma will also run around and run into Monokumas, which will knock them over - doesn't seem to deal any damage, though, so it's just a minor help.

Sometimes I also make incredibly intelligent choices, like blasting a Bomber near an adult that's about to die, killing them. Then I make that choice twice. I killed more of the adults by mistake than by screwing up killing Monokumas. Man, I'm good. Anyway, that segment goes on for about two minutes in my case - it's a fixed number of Monokumas you need to take out.

And eventually we're done.

Toko and Komaru are left with a pile of bodies.

Or, well, the people are still writhing in agony, so that's technically not a dead body.

...Huh?

I convinced people to stay underground, stay hidden so they couldn't be followed... But after all that...this happens.
The only explanation is that they followed you. *You* brought them here!

You know, this kinda all falls flat when you consider that the Monokumas literally control the entire city and are also spread around the entire sewer. But no, they surely wouldn't find this place after a bit of time. After all, they would have had to climb a ladder to find it! That's way too much work. But hey, what do you expect from the Ultimate Fuckhead.

W-We did?

♪ BGM: DSO_Despair-Syndrome

When you contacted Future Foundation, the kids must have honed in on you. They tailed you, and you brought them right back here!

There were Monokumas like literally half a minute's walk away from this place.

It's all your fault! You did this to all of us!
B-But that's not fair! I... I didn't *want* this to happen!

If they never came back here after their stupid mission, this place wouldn't have been ambushed!
Th-That's a baseless accusation! You're just making an assumption--
Well, as long as I'm assuming, I guess I'll go one further and say you guys are spies for the kids!
Th-That's not funny! What could we possibly gain from that!?
I remember an old folk tale, about a war between birds and beasts. By using the face of both bird and beast, the bat played both sides. But because he couldn't get too close to either, in the end, the bat ends up alone.

You know, there has to be a point where Komaru just has to say "I KILLED TWO OF THE WARRIORS OF HOPE YOU USELESS DIPSHIT". In general, it seems like the fact that Komaru destroyed two giant loving robots and with that took out almost half of the Warriors of Hope is being really glossed over, particularly in Komaru's "I can't do anything" state of mind.

Wh-What are you trying to say?
Bird or beast... I wonder which side you're on.

Suddenly, the screen on the large display in the middle of the base turns on, showing a strange place that kinda looks like a torture chamber and two Monokuma kids.

Damnit, this again!
Please, make it stop!
Why? Why now?

What... is that?
What, you're asking me? Don't act like you don't know.

And with one fingersnap...

Lock them up.

...the adults grab Komaru and Toko and carry them away. What awaits our heroines next? Well, that'll be for next time to find out!