Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

The Kingfish posted:

Does it actually make sense if you watch it twice?

Yea. Like I didn't really understand all the crap about the Goya painting the first time around but picked it up on the second viewing. Ironically it wasn't even a matter of time fuckery. I had just turned my brain off the first time around.

The main thing that had confused me the most was the car chase and the interrogation with the loudspeaker translating it. I felt like a doofus that I hadn't realized that he shot her before even threatening to do it when I saw it the first time.

Also the temporal pincer move made a hell of a lot more sense for the climax because my brain was able to process that the narrative keeps moving between present and an hour in the future in order to show both teams assaulting as if they're storming the site at the same time. Additionally, I hadn't realized that Neil abandoned his team and went through the turnstile to un-invert himself mid-way through the fight so that he could rescue them. Then he inverts himself again to run into the hypocenter and slam and lock the door.

I was also able to fully appreciate when the collapsed building built itself back up and then explode at the top. That was fun as hell. And for some reason I had also completely missed the dude getting obliterated by the exploded wall sealing back up.

Finally, I noticed how loving insane it must have been to film that entire final assault. You literally see dust collapsing down to the dirt, particles and projectiles going backward while people were sprinting forward, so that means that they had to loving film everyone sprinting in reverse but have it look like their posture / momentum was going the other way and that's just goddamn nuts. Especially with all of the squibs and explosions happening. It reminds me how Jackie Chan said that Americans don't appreciate the art of action cinematography because it requires infinite patience, and in his Hong Kong films they would do as many takes as it took, wasting kilograms of film in order to get the shot right. I CANNOT WAIT for the behind the scenes of this thing.