Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Adam
Jul 18, 2003

He's very good.
Directed by: Richard O'Brien
Starring: Tim Curry, Susan Sarandon, Barry Bostwick, Richard O'Brien, Meatloaf, et al

When a movie is being played in theaters 30 years after it's release, you know there's something special about it. Describing the plot doesn't offer much help, however, as it's technically about alien transvestites corrupting the morals of a naive newly-engaged couple featuring lots of sex, the creation of a human from food coloring (?), murder, canibalism, and anti-matter beams. Did I mention it was a musical with one of the best soundtracks known to film?

Since its release, it's been playing in theaters everywhere on Fridays and Saturdays with full casts of Rocky fanatics performing the movie in front of the screen with complete audience participation consisting of "call-backs" (yelling at the movie) and throwing props at the appropriate times.

There's truly nothing like Rocky Horror and I doubt there are films with a more devoted fanbase. The world record holder for having seen the same film the most times belongs to Sal Piro, head of the Rocky Fan Club. The songs are fabulous, the movie is hilarious and enthralling after 1000 viewings, and going to your first Rocky Horror Picture Show in a theater and being de-virginized is something you'll never forget.

Edit: Sorry I messed the title up. I did it right the first time I tried to post but then the forums went down for an hour. Mod fix?

Evil Adam fucked around with this message at 10:03 on May 2, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I would urge people to go to a theatre showing this movie or a live play with anyone who knows the audience lines. It makes the experience a lot more fun and entertaining.

x0nix
May 25, 2001

Absolutely brilliant. The songs are all very fun and catchy, the story is full of fun plot twists and surprises.

If you have any sort of open mind about entertainment you will love this musical (I say open mind because some of my asshat friends didn't like it because it was too "weird" and "gay"... sad losers I know).

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

I don't see how one could classify this as "Sci-Fi," rather than comedy, but very well.

Rocky Horror is a movie which knows that it's incredibly cheesy, and flaunts it. By itself, the film is terrible, and all of the dialogue is constructed of hamfisted double entendre that would make most middle-schoolers go. However, since the movie is almost always seen in a theatrical format, the viewer benefits from the callbacks thrown out by cast members and the occasional audience member who has seen the movie many times. Unfortunately, this also sometimes detracts from the viewer's understanding of the dialogue. I've seen this movie twice in live performances, and I still have no idea what was going on in the third act.

Musically, the movie is nothing special. I thought "Science Fiction Double Feature" was catchy, but the rest of the songs just seem to be standard stage production fare, and come across as rather bland and humorless.

There is absolutely no reason to see Rocky Horror Picture Show in your home. A public showing might be good for a few laughs if you enjoy crude humor and humiliation. Just be sure to shout "rear end in a top hat" and "slut" every time Brad and Janet introduce themselves, and you'll fit in.

Overall score: 2 out of 5

falling star
Oct 20, 2003

without a doubt the worst movie I've ever seen in a theatre and absolute worst theatre EXPERIENCE I'll ever have in my entire life. There can be no worse. ever.

voted one because I can't vote zero.

Fartlancer
Nov 18, 2003
A very good movie.

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no

quote:

falling star came out of the closet to say:
without a doubt the worst movie I've ever seen in a theatre and absolute worst theatre EXPERIENCE I'll ever have in my entire life. There can be no worse. ever.

voted one because I can't vote zero.
While my opinion may be unpopular, I would have to agree with this. I felt it was a fetid piece of self-indulgant crap, and really don't understand the cult pedestal upon which this movie is placed.

EPS
Mar 19, 2003

READY... FIGHT!
After watching this movie, I wanted my time back. I have never experienced two hours in my life that felt like more of a total waste. The movie isn't horribly made, the music in it is performed well, I guess, but I just don't get it. It is utterly pointless, and doesn't care about any of it's own characters or plot twists. It's surreal aspects are completely uninspired and have no underlying purpose. It seems to be in love with the idea of being really weird but doesn't pull it off very well at all.

Or maybe I'm just watching it wrong.

Evil Adam
Jul 18, 2003

He's very good.
There is qute the dichotomy in opinion on Rocky. I think it just "clicks" with some people and not with others. People always tell me that I'm not the type of person they associate with Rocky fans, but for some reason I'm in love with it.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
This is definetly a cult movie....hence the splitting of opinion on it. I love it!

Maou
Apr 10, 2003

by Eris Is Goddess
Hay guys, guess what I voted this thread? :cool:

Alright, if you have never seen this movie, don't watch it in your home. I will almost guarentee you won't like it at all. It's old, cheesy, and a musical! I never liked it when it came on VH1 when I was younger.

But then I went to a midnight theatrical showing with my friend, and fell in LOVE with the movie. This is truly the only way to see this show. Audience yelling, throwing toast and rice about, DEVIRGINIZINGS! It's really a fun time.

Also, if you're strictly homophobic, you probably won't like it. There's a lot of homo stuff going on.

Like others have said though, this is a movie you either love, or really hate. Just remember though, if you've only seen it on TV, you're just masturbating.

Shotgun Jones
May 19, 2003

by Ozmaugh
The movie is great, it's even better when you're seeing the midnight screening.

I suggest you see the play whenever it comes. Come equipped with audience lines. Sometimes the actors react to the lines, and when they do, it's pretty funny.

Manic Shampoo
Feb 9, 2004

Arriba! Arriba! Andale! Andale!
I still don't understand what the hell is going on in this movie. I've seen it at home on VH1 and I've seen it in a theatre with a live cast.

While the theatre experience is fun...it's still a horrible movie.

Terrorsaurus
Aug 6, 2003

These horses don't run.
This movie is the absolute loving worst at everything it tries to be. Worst musical, worst comedy, worst sci-fi, worst loving everything. My opinion may be seasoned by my experience with the subculture that it spawned. They are idiotic, uncreative, and just loving dorky. It's like they took Monty Python fanboys, gave them a bunch of lovely costumes, and then removed any merit or talent from the movie that the fanclub is predicated upon.

1 out of 5. Really, it's that loving terrible.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Columbia and Frank were my sexual fantasies when I was a young lad.

Although somewhat more Columbia than Frank. You can see her boobs, you know.

Voted 5.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

I'm giving this a 3 because this is a unique experience.

Watched on its own, this movie is in the top 10 worst movies ever. It's horrible. It's too bad for MST3K.

Watched in a theater, with everyone yelling and throwing toast, this movie is brilliant. One of the most entertaining experiences you can have, if you can ignore the fact that you're hanging out with creepy goth nerds.

Some movies depend on the setting in which you view them. This is their leader.

weasel sack
Sep 11, 2001

NIANOCRAD eternally spins and has hundreds of light tunnels that shoot out from the pits of a unique and self-contained HELL
This is one of the best movies ever made. I've seen it nearly a hundred times and it never gets old.

The Musical track is fantastic.

But it's not for everyone. Like FYAD, you either get it or you don't.

5/5

Green
Apr 16, 2003

I guess either side of "like it" or "hated it" is equally confounded by the other as to why they feel the way they do.

It's ultra-cheesy fun with great, catchy music, a wonderful cast, and of course Frankenfurter is a classic villain. And you don't have to be a part of, or be around and experience the movie with, the cult culture that surrounds it to enjoy it. But even then you could just have an innate hatred for musicals or transvestites... but then you'd be a fag, and you wouldn't want to be that.

5/5

Green fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jul 16, 2004

Buml0r
Sep 15, 2003

WIGGLE HE
Can people who aren't giggling teenage half-goths enjoy this film?

I mean it, is it possible to really like this film if you're old enough to not giggle when someone says "sex" any more?

I've seen it twice. Admittedly, both times were at home. People who watch a comedy movie they know every line to and delight in showing off that omg incredible talent irritate me enough, I don't think I could go and actually spend an evening with them just so they can do it. I had enough of that sort of person at school.

The first time I saw it, I didn't get why it was good. The second time, I found it more fascinating, but I still didn't quite understand why it was good, other than the possibility that transvestites might still have been funny when it came out.

In my experience, the fanbase for this film seems to be mostly post-teenage girls who actually still squeal and laugh in huddles whenever they see a male celebrity they fancy wear a piece of women's clothing, or even when they think about it happening. Am I wrong in this? Something tells me I should like this film, but that I don't know how.

I would consider seeing the stage version, particularly back when Tony Head was in it. But again, I'm just thinking it'll be an audience full of assholes dressed in suspenders, shouting throughout. Like the people who shouted loudly in the cinema whenever Lord of the Rings got something wrong, but in reverse.

Some of the tunes were a bit catchy at the time, and the anticipation thing was funny until the kerbillion spasmo-squillion-flillionth time I heard / read someone quoting it.

hehe, sex

PrinceXXX
May 7, 2004
I've seen it at home 2 or 3 times now. I'd say its one of the most successful and last great made-for-movie-musicals around today. Some of the things you will experience during this movie will just make you cringe, but the soundtrack definitely makes up for it. Before my time, but still a movie you have to have seen.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
This is a major act of necromancy but just so's yous know, Glee is going to do some of Rocky Horror. For huge fans of the show like me, who have seen a lot of unconvincing Columbias, Riff Raffs, and Magentas, this seems like it will be quite refreshing. You can find the video of the Time warp pretty easily via google. The Riff Raff is really convincing and the pair of Columbias are pretty good too but Magenta leaves a lot to be desired. Like many fan done Columbias she doesn't have that strange Slavic/Russian sounding accent. As another point in favor of it though, they do manage to get that high shrieky quality that makes the song unique down in the chorus.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Rocky Horror depends entirely on the quality of the show you go to, and could very easily be a miserable experience. Just on its own merits, the movie sucks. Absolutely sucks. Even as a fan, I do not enjoy watching the movie, the music and acting in general is just irritating.

With a good show (and by show I mean public showing), with strong participation, it can work out. I'd suggest going to a show that happens yearly, and has been happening for 10+ years, the sort of thing some people mark on their calendars without question. You'll also want to go with a group of regulars that you know and are comfortable with, or at least another person that's already familiar with the show, so you don't feel horribly awkward when everyone stats yelling "rear end in a top hat" and "slut" or throwing rice.

Also, there's a very good chance you'll hate it even then. This is the other reason I suggest you go with friends who already are fans - the best indicator of whether you'll enjoy going is if you have friends who you generally "click" with and who go regularly themselves.

2/5, because it's so dependent on taste.

Factory Ten
Feb 8, 2010
'DON"T WORRY BRO, I'LL BE YOUR CREEPY INTERNET DETECTIVE WHITE KNIGHT WHEN YOU'RE A FUCKING IDIOT!!!! CALL 1800 WHITE DICK AND I'LL TRACK DOWN OLD PHOTOS OF PEOPLE WHO WERE MEAN TO YOU TODAY!!!!
People who hate this film are closeted homosexuals, and fear how this film made them feel. I urge everyone else to put on your "girlfriend's" underwear, a cape and go see the midnight showing of this film. Its the cult classic.

I give it 5 SWEET TRANSVESTITES OUT OF 5

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
I just saw this 'movie' for the first time.

I feel drunk.

However I think it might be brilliant. :psyduck:

5/5

Monster w21 Faces fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 17, 2011

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

I fully understand that some people love this and it has massive cult appeal, but it's not for me. A friend told me how amazingly great and funny it was, so I sat down and watched it.

I waited and waited for anything to be funny or entertaining, but it never happened. It was just terrible, annoying and unfunny from start to finish. I think I would also hate going an audience-participation showing.

Awful, unless you're into the cult side of it.

1/5

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
This movie became what lol wacky lol memes were before there was the internet. It's kind of quaint in that way, and the music, if you haven't been scarred by the people who are too enthused by it, is cute in the dumb puppy sort, but the fans...

The film's cult devotees have made it to be an excellent litmus test of exactly who I really don't want to hang out with.

2/5 for the film itself, 0/5 for the surrounding "enthusiasts" who feel they need to have showings constantly, quote it all the time, have plays wherever, etc.. so 1/5.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I'm amused by this movie and I'm not even sure why. I actually don't like theater performances of it because they seem to be chaos.
The songs are mildly catchy, the story nonsensical, acting super campy, it gets tedious by the end... I think I enjoy the utter ridiculousness of it, and also Tim Curry chewing up the scenery. I can't get enough of him.

I don't even know if I can rate this movie. It might be unratable.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
It has Meat Loaf and Tim Curry in it two of my favorite singers of all time in it. Love most of the songs, story makes little sense, but it's enjoyable in a campy way. 4 out 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The highs of this movie are very high, but also very few. The lows are very low and almost everywhere.

For a musical I'm really invested in the lyrics and this movie is very poor in that department. The lyrics are instead carried by the instruments and general festivity. Some of them worked and became classics, but most of them are on the lower end of mediocrity.

I really like the highs of this movie, so I'm giving it a 2.5, but if I were to cut them that score would drop a lot. I have the feeling that this movie almost dodged a bullet by having just the right amount of good scenes for the right audiences not to be completely forgettable. I can see someone getting on the momentum and feeling this entire moving as a very unique and special experience, but that someone is not me.

2.5/5