Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KackySack
Feb 7, 2004

by SpokkerBones
Directed by: Ted Kotcheff
Starring: Andrew McCarthy, Jonathan Silverman, Catherine Mary Stewart, Terry Kiser.

I finally saw Weekend at Bernie's, after it came free with my Pizza Hut pizza.

As usual, this reviewer was sorely dissapointed with the lack of dipping sauce, the unavailabilty of shrimp for my Hawaian, and the shoddy sprinkling of extra cheese for the meat lover's pizza. Though filling, the meal was marred by the usual soggy grease-crust of "The Hut," which is tolerable when hot, but repulsive when even leuke-warm (my jowls were coated with the calorous substance). All in all, the pizza was a dreadful performance, and my mood was not greatly improved by the film.

I won't waste your time with an in depth analysis, just as I wouldn't waste your time with a discussion of the finer points of "The Animal." The film is about a dead guy and the idiotic duo that keep this a secret for various stupid reasons (read: runtime). I was really high when I saw this, and I don't recommend seeing it sober, if you must see it at all.

To summarize, the only good thing about this movie are the dead-guy site gags, which is what the movie is all about in the first place. Everything else is lovely, overdone 80's acting, and the main characters are always bitching and whining with their high-pitched voices. Remember how movies back then were described as "quirky," as if it was a good thing? Yeah.

So, without further ado, I offer upon you the spoilers, which will save you having to see this nitwit film:

When the guys find Bernie (who is their rear end in a top hat boss), they don't believe he's dead, just really conked out. One guy actually starts slapping Bernie repeatedly and laughing, saying "Wake up Bernie, wake up! Hey look at this - he doesn't notice!"

When they carry Bernie to the couch he tumbles about in a funny, dead guy kind of way.

In a busy party, noone notices Bernie is dead. The guys carry him around and he falls off a balcony by accident. Noone notices. The guys just shrug.

They take Bernie on a boat and tie him to the back. Bernie falls out and ends up getting pulled behind the boat, hitting buoys and taking jumps. Quoth the actor, while drinking Bernie's champagne: "Man overboard - ha ha!"

Bernie washes up on the beach right beside one of the guys as he's trying to get with a hottie, Chris Isaak style.

Some chick fucks Bernie, and the guys are totally like, "Whoa!" for about five seconds.

That is all there is to this movie - there is nothing else, at all.

Don't see this piece of poo poo unless you get it free with a pizza.

RATING: 1.5

PROS: Dead guy getting handled in funny ways.
CONS: Lame 80's enthuso-acting - stupid, one trick pony.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://imdb.com/title/tt0098627/

KackySack fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 8, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob The Ripper
Jan 20, 2004

You can run.
You can hide.
Gonna get ya.
I agree! This is an absolutely horrible movie with no plot at all. He's dead. Hide the body, party the weekend away, then take his things and leave. Not only does this movie make no sense whatsoever, but it is topped off by a lovely screenplay and lovely acting. Ted Kotcheff owes me 97 minutes of his life, because he wasted mine. Worthless. .5.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
This film is a misunderstood masterpiece. It's sociological and philosophical implications are staggering, and it truly is a tragedy it is overlooked as some stupid comedy by so many of the unwashed masses.

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf
I haven't seen this movie in about five years. It's flawed, but still fun if you're looking for mindless entertainment. The buoy scene certainly had me laughing out loud.

Witty satire it ain't, but it's certainly no worse than "There's Something About Mary".

Demmy
May 20, 2001

Dutchman & McNutty:
Putting bitches (and stray cats) in their place since '02
Weekend at Bernies was one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. Everyone being oblivious that these two guys carrying around a loving corpse is pretty much the pinnacle of comedy, especially when some slut has sex with said corpse. This is also one of those rare movies that had a sequel that was better than it. Someone really needs to make a third one.

5/5

Ebjan
Feb 20, 2004

It was not a bad movie for its time, pretty dated look now. Better than part two.

STFU DONNY
Apr 8, 2004

I'M RIDIN' SPINNAZ! THEY DON'T STOP!
Are you sure it wasn't Papa John's not pizza hut you got it from? Sorry for off topic but I work there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fojar
Aug 24, 2003

by OMGWTFBBQ
This is bullshit! The movie is brilliant!