Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wallin
May 10, 2004
:o
Directed by: Paul Thomas Anderson
Starring: Adam Sandler, Emily Watson, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Luis Guzmán

Don't go into this expecting just another stupid/slapstick Adam Sandler movie (not that there's anything wrong with those, Happy Gilmore was awesome :D). This is a side of Adam Sandler most people have probably never seen. And as far as I'm concerned it's awesome.

Synopsis: Barry Egan (Sandler) is a sad, lonely, and sometimes just a bit violent small business owner with 7 overbearing and seemingly uncaring sisters (in his mind at least). He has some severe social anxiety problems as well as having been known to occasionally just break down and cry. At one point he's even lonely enough to call a phone sex line, not for a sexual experience, but simply to have someone to talk to. He's never really had anyone to back him up, encourage him, or give him strength. That is until he finally finds the love of his life (Watson). Love is his strength, and he's willing to do whatever it takes to keep the one he loves.

Sounds like your average boy meets girl, love ensues, problem arises, and uh oh must fight for love movie, right? It's certainly not.

Not sure how to go about convincing everyone to see it. If you're in the mood for a lighthearted, easygoing movie, it's probably not for you. This is an edgy, subtle, and often comedic movie, in a tense kind of way(what). At times this movie is frustrating as hell, but that just makes the subsequent relief all the more satisfying. It's also has a whole lot of surreal elements, including a Harmonium that appears out of nowhere, Egan getting a vivid blue suit for no particularly reason (and wearing nothing but it), as well as some acid trip reminiscent transition scenes.

Then again, remember who the main character of the story is, and perhaps this makes more sense.

Technically the movie was fantastic. Adam Sandler did an excellent job portraying Egan, maybe because to an extent it's so similar to his other roles (quirky, shy, yet sometimes explosive). The cinematography also did a wonderful job showing the world through Egan's eyes, complementing and displaying Egan's situation and feelings (the focus of the camera; the placement of all the objects; the lighting changing from dreary and dull, to too bright, to vivid and striking).

I've never seen any of Paul Thomas Anderson's other movies, but I'm certainly tempted too now. This was very well written, and overrall left me feeling satisfied and happy for Egan. Don't know if the above is convincing or not, but if not, just take my word for it and give it a shot. (this coming from a guy who holds Little Nicky to be one of his top movies)

5/5.5

RATING: 5

PROS: Excellent direction, cinematography, and drat good acting for the most part. Also puts a whole new spin on the shy/crazy Adam Sandler we're used to seeing.
CONS: Requires some thinking about to understand the more subte parts.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0272338/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pikacheney
Mar 14, 2002

I shall remember this moment: the silence, the twilight, the bowl of strawberries, the bowl of Xoo, and that chubby, chubby choona.
This is a really interesting movie especially if you compare to the rest of P.T. Anderson's movies, it's so atypical of what he does. I'm a huge fan of his other movies but I found this one was, while great, not fantastic like the rest. I still really love this film but I think I was expecting the long intertwining stories of his other films, with no clear climax or main character.

It's interesting seeing Adam Sandler in Anderson's hands definitely, and I agree with the idea of seeing the "Sandler" character in new light, maybe more realistic light. The scene where Barry beats the robbers down with the pipe or whatever was a total classic Sandler moment too. I wonder if Anderson was aware of what he was doing in that respect.

The film also has a great soundtrack, totally pulls you into Barry's mind. And it's both amazingly funny at times and amazingly sweet. Probably one of the best romantic comedies I've ever seen.

4.5/5

PROS: P.T. Anderson's amazing grip on subtle character development and ability to make the real look surreal and vice versa. Awesome music and sound direction. Requires some thinking about to understand the more subtle parts. :)
CONS: Might not stand up to an Anderson buff's expectations.

pikacheney fucked around with this message at 09:29 on May 15, 2004

toolboi
Jul 24, 2002

GREAT directing. The directing was really REALLY good. Everything from the loud music playing in the background of most scenes, to the almost Lynchesque style of the begining, to the AMAZING cinematography. However thats about where the good side of it ended.

First, the plot was crap. It was really generic and borring. Not a whole lot changes. Thats ok, romantic comedies are often like this, focusing instead on character. However it really lacks that too. Other than a couple of scenes where Barry gets some confidence, not a whole lot changes. Nothing really is said either.

Second, the characters were poor. Barry was cool (if a bit of a stereotype), but everyone else seemed bland.

Yet I still liked it enoguh to give it a 3.5

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
One of my favorite movies. One of the things I love most about it is that Barry is not simply this stupid, retarded guy who can't function in life. If you look at his apartment, it looks pretty normal, and he owns his own business that he seems pretty good at managing. It's just that emotionally, he's sort of warped, or misaligned, preventing him from being able to relate to people in the way most people can. I just think that distinction is really cool, and makes it so much more interesting than just a crazy guy falling in love with a normal woman.

The movie also looks amazing, and the dialogue is great. Really, though, I think the whole film is basically a character study of Barry, and he definitely holds up. 5.

Priest Holmes
Aug 11, 2002

Great flick.

Sandler impressed the hell out of me with his acting skills
The music is awesome and adds a ton to the overall enjoyment of the film.
And they even pulled off the love story pretty well.

I would recommend to all.