Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Xaris posted:

These cities need to realize theres millions of young people coming in and gotta get building at least half million units in each place in the next several decades, until then prices are just going to keep exploding and 3+ people to a single bedroom type conditions.
Hahahahahahahaha. San Francisco has been stalling growth for decades, and I don't see that changing given the way their governance works, or fails to work.

quote:

And at most in the reverse direction, you get some old near-retiree's who want to cash out on their house they bought before these places got hip+expensive, and retire to some track or semi-rural house in Idaho to live off the rest of SS or something creating some openings, but that's not a huge amount compared to incoming demand.
Actually, you get a lot of near-retirees trying to stop new development because MY TOWN IS LOSING ITS CHARM and also taxes. The retirees in my town want it to be (roughly) 1980 again when it was a sleepy suburb. I can sympathize with the desire, but it's impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Hahahahahahahaha. San Francisco has been stalling growth for decades, and I don't see that changing given the way their governance works, or fails to work.

Actually, you get a lot of near-retirees trying to stop new development because MY TOWN IS LOSING ITS CHARM and also taxes. The retirees in my town want it to be (roughly) 1980 again when it was a sleepy suburb. I can sympathize with the desire, but it's impossible.

Yeah it's sad and reality is it isn't going to happen so yep, never gunna be a crash here, at most maybe a plateau but then there's still a lot who're going to use treat these cities as investment pieces (like Vancouver) driving up poo poo with the current 0 interest rate economy

Thats true too but I do know a lot who're planning to cash out because lol no one has retirement funds anymore and their sick $100k house is now like $1.5 mill.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Xaris posted:

Yeah it's sad and reality is it isn't going to happen so yep, never gunna be a crash here, at most maybe a plateau but then there's still a lot who're going to use treat these cities as investment pieces (like Vancouver) driving up poo poo with the current 0 interest rate economy
It's also a safe (perceived as safe) way to get your money out of Country N; we have Chinese buyers in particular who are trying to make sure that there are some cash assets that are harder for the government to seize.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OMGVBFLOL posted:

This I definitely agree with. The closest I think we've had to any substantial regional authority is BART, but Santa Clara county drags their feet about everything Bart-related and San Mateo just straight up left the Bart board decades ago.

We have a thing called ABAG but it is more or less totally powerless and acts mostly as an advisory council that everyone ignores.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Fleet week with the air force shows this weekend.

• Locked thread