Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

also with matt stewart dying i don't know how that affects the timeline

e wow what a sad snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

CodfishCartographer posted:

I mean they are in theory coming out with a new album """"soon"""" - a handful of new songs have been played at shows within the last year or two. By kalnoky standards that means a new album is practically around the corner, but for the rest of us that means it might be a few more years before anything comes of it.

For the rest of us that could mean anything between "this afternoon" and "never," inclusive.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

loving hell, Greg Lee from Hepcat died. Had a brain aneurysm and cardiac arrest on Sunday, he was only 53. The worst loving news.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

Bird in a Blender posted:

loving hell, Greg Lee from Hepcat died. Had a brain aneurysm and cardiac arrest on Sunday, he was only 53. The worst loving news.

Yeah, I woke up to that news and it really sucks. I just have so many memories tied up with Hepcat. They were the first "real" show that I went to with my friends, at the Trocadero in Philly in 1998. When I got married, even knowing that she hates most of the music I listen to, my wife gave me free rein to pick any 3 songs for the playlist, and Dance Wid Me was one of them.

The other time I got to see them was an odd experience - I used to travel a lot for work, and I sometimes managed to line trips up with concerts. So I ended up at the Knitting Factory in Spokane, WA to see Hepcat open for Flogging Molly, with a then-unknown Fitz and the Tantrums as the first band. In a very large crowd, I was one of maybe 8 people that cared about Hepcat in a tiny dance area near the stage and that was just a surreal feeling.

Of course, I put Right On Time on in the car while driving my 7 year old to karate tonight, and he immediately jumped to "I don't like this song" when The Secret came on. Get some taste, kid - that's an amazing song. (I joke, because my poor children have absorbed some of my musical tastes - they constantly ask me to play the first three songs on the new Mustard Plug album)

RIP Greg, thanks for all the music and memories.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

Anyone else going to This Is Not Croydon Fest this weekend?

APPEARING
FRIDAY, APRIL 19TH
Spring Heeled Jack
Hub City Stompers
Title Holder
Brunt of It
The End Times

APPEARING
SATURDAY, APRIL 20TH

The Suicide Machines
Voodoo Glow Skulls
Folly
Sonic Boom Six
We Are the Union
J. Navarro & the Traitors
Devon K & the Solutions
Half Past Two
The Pomps
The Manipulators

APPEARING
SUNDAY, APRIL 21ST

The Aggrolites
The Toasters
Catch 22
Omnigone
Faintest Idea
The Best of the Worst
Eastern Standard Time
Nick & the Adversaries
West Kensingtons

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

drat, catch-22 is still kicking??

hot take but while Streetlight is way better, I thought Dinosaur Sounds and Permanent Revolution were solid post-Tomas albums

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Snow Cone Capone posted:

hot take but while Streetlight is way better, I thought Dinosaur Sounds and Permanent Revolution were solid post-Tomas albums

They're both fantastic and I'm sad they never did anything since, I was especially excited to see how they'd follow up Permanent Revolution since it has such a great and unique sound.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I just got tickets to see Primus this summer, which is not remotely ska. However, Fishbone is opening for them!

I've never had a chance to see Fishbone play live, but I've heard others say they're one of the best live bands ever, and they still play a lot of their early ska stuff on stage.

Super excited to see both bands.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Primus is fantastic live if you're into them and even if not they're a very entertaining experience!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Speaking of shows, Jeff just announced a "very special ultra long" show in LA

https://x.com/jeffrosenstock/status/1780295091464348034

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Primus is fantastic live if you're into them and even if not they're a very entertaining experience!

Oh, I love Primus; they're just not as good a fit for this particular thread. I've never seen them live, though judging by the South Park concert they did on Paramount+ last year, it's gonna be great.

I'll admit I'm not remotely up on modern ska. Most of the bands I was into in the 90's and early 2000's aren't around anymore.

No Doubt played at Coachella last weekend (maybe this coming weekend too?). I figured they'd lean hard into their pop/rock radio singles, and they kinda did, but they did a ton of their ska songs too. They sounded absolutely amazing, which was a huge disconnect from my expectations before tuning in.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
How many original members of Spring Heeled Jack are left?

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I saw them when Dinosaur Sounds came out, it's good as is Permanent Revolution. But i have a very subjective problem with Permanent revolutions, the vocals are way too prominent in the mix, i find it off putting.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

Snow Cone Capone posted:

You want to feel really loving old? Their trombone player's son is playing with them now. https://www.facebook.com/njcatch22

davecrazy posted:

How many original members of Spring Heeled Jack are left?

3, I think? Chris rejoined after the Bosstones broke up.

aricoarena posted:

I saw them when Dinosaur Sounds came out, it's good as is Permanent Revolution. But i have a very subjective problem with Permanent revolutions, the vocals are way too prominent in the mix, i find it off putting.

I remember seeing them right before Dinosaur Sounds came out, and it was one of my worst concert experiences. The album wasn't out yet, but songs from it made up over more than half the setlist. I'd seen them before and I've seen them since and they've been good, but I've always held a grudge against the album for that dumb reason. But Permanent Revolution is good! They got added to this bill at the last minute because the Bar Stool Preachers dropped off. I was looking forward to seeing them, but Catch 22 is a fine replacement.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

WaffleZombie posted:

You want to feel really loving old? Their trombone player's son is playing with them now. https://www.facebook.com/njcatch22

3, I think? Chris rejoined after the Bosstones broke up.

I feel like some of these bands are turning into a mirror of like when my parents would go see the Temptations in concert in the 90's but it was like one original member of the Temptations and 4 other dudes who were close enough.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

WhiteHowler posted:

No Doubt played at Coachella last weekend (maybe this coming weekend too?). I figured they'd lean hard into their pop/rock radio singles, and they kinda did, but they did a ton of their ska songs too. They sounded absolutely amazing, which was a huge disconnect from my expectations before tuning in.

Getting paid stupid money to play two shows, they could have totally phoned in their performance but No Doubt's set was easily one of the best of the sets that I watched online last weekend. Looking forward to watching their set on Saturday if Coachella streams it on YT again. Probably going to go all in on the SoCal ska-adjacent bands and watch the sets by Sublime and The Aquabats as well if they're made available.

As an aside, I'm kind of upset that Vampire Weekend's headlining shows in New York get a Billy Joel cover band while their LA show gets this:

EDIT:
VW discussing their LA show bill at the hopefully timestamped link (24:52 into the video if the link doesn't work):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wMavKf7i6g&t=1492s

interpunct fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Apr 18, 2024

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

interpunct posted:

Getting paid stupid money to play two shows, they could have totally phoned in their performance but No Doubt's set was easily one of the best of the sets that I watched online last weekend. Looking forward to watching their set on Saturday if Coachella streams it on YT again. Probably going to go all in on the SoCal ska-adjacent bands and watch the sets by Sublime and The Aquabats as well if they're made available.

I believe Coachella is streaming on YouTube again this weekend.

Ska and ska-adjacent stuff:
- The Aquabats - Saturday @3:55pm Pacific (Sonora stage)
- Sublime - Saturday @ 6:05pm Pacific (Coachella stage)
- No Doubt - Saturday @ 9:55pm Pacific (Coachella stage)

Vampire Weekend (which has a little ska flavor in a couple of their songs, I guess?) played last weekend but currently isn't on the schedule for this coming weekend.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

some of Sublime's performance is on YT

IMO Brad's kid seemed a little amateurish but God drat if he doesn't sound like his dad

hedgecore
May 2, 2004

WaffleZombie posted:

Anyone else going to This Is Not Croydon Fest this weekend?

I hope you win this:
https://twitter.com/chill_biz/status/1780738219547521140

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

WhiteHowler posted:

I just got tickets to see Primus this summer, which is not remotely ska. However, Fishbone is opening for them!

I've never had a chance to see Fishbone play live, but I've heard others say they're one of the best live bands ever, and they still play a lot of their early ska stuff on stage.

Super excited to see both bands.

Fishbone live kicks rear end and yea these days they mostly play their earlier stuff and not very much of their metal and more experimental stuff from the mid to late 90s. Definitely one of my favorite bands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

This made me think "I wonder if the River City Rebels are still together"

and then this popped up today.

I will go for the Pilfers and River City Rebels and probably get reminded very quickly that we thought the River City Rebels were kind of washed up 20 years ago. Just thinking about seeing them, The Toasters, Big D and the Kids Table, Worthless United and other Northeastern punk and ska bands at the same two venues over and over again.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Apr 19, 2024