Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I'm looking to pick up a cordless buffing tool for automotive waxing. I'm deep into the Makita ecosystem, but theirs is way too expensive for my light duty needs. I briefly looked at hazard fraught's 18v tools, but man, but after seeing their battery prices I realized that it might just be better to buy into the Ryobi ecosystem with their 10 inch buffer.

Does this seem like a good way to go? Are there any recommended places to purchase a charger and batteries since Home Depot isn't running any bogo promotions?

Looks like HD does have a sale currently... is this good if I can find one in stock? https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ONE-18V-Lithium-Ion-4-0-Ah-Battery-2-Pack-and-Charger-Kit-PSK006/315424283

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Catatron Prime posted:

I'm looking to pick up a cordless buffing tool for automotive waxing. I'm deep into the Makita ecosystem, but theirs is way too expensive for my light duty needs. I briefly looked at hazard fraught's 18v tools, but man, but after seeing their battery prices I realized that it might just be better to buy into the Ryobi ecosystem with their 10 inch buffer.

Does this seem like a good way to go? Are there any recommended places to purchase a charger and batteries since Home Depot isn't running any bogo promotions?

Looks like HD does have a sale currently... is this good if I can find one in stock? https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ONE-18V-Lithium-Ion-4-0-Ah-Battery-2-Pack-and-Charger-Kit-PSK006/315424283

That's a pretty good deal. A lot of us buy Ryobi from Direct Tools Outlet who seem to frequently have sales or deals and often sell factory blemished products that look brand new. I don't think they have a big sale right now but they do have some tools that include a battery and charger, like the buffer:
https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/product/PCL465K1

Obviously buying it from them for $120 + shipping and waiting a couple of weeks may not be preferable to going to home depot and getting it now with two batteries for $160, but it's an option.

I can't speak for the quality of their buffer, I haven't used it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
What are you buffing that you need such a large surfaces area and cordless to accomplish it? I would highly recommend a normal corded ROB from a detailer brand

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Rexxed posted:

That's a pretty good deal. A lot of us buy Ryobi from Direct Tools Outlet who seem to frequently have sales or deals and often sell factory blemished products that look brand new. I don't think they have a big sale right now but they do have some tools that include a battery and charger, like the buffer:
https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/product/PCL465K1

Obviously buying it from them for $120 + shipping and waiting a couple of weeks may not be preferable to going to home depot and getting it now with two batteries for $160, but it's an option.

I can't speak for the quality of their buffer, I haven't used it.

Awesome, thanks! That's exactly what I'm looking for! I dunno how I completely missed that earlier, I musta plugged in the wrong site and been looking at something like big sky tools or whatnot

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

What are you buffing that you need such a large surfaces area and cordless to accomplish it? I would highly recommend a normal corded ROB from a detailer brand

I need to reapply the protective wax on a fiberglass trailer. Granted it's probably overall small enough I could've done it by hand, but I'm excited for a anything that makes a chore easier, and to me it's worth the premium to go wireless and just make the whole thing easier, especially with a roof rack to work around. Plus I figure it's probably not the worst idea to buy into the ryobi ecosystem, seems like there's always a useful whatchamajig that's too expensive to justify in the Makita lineup (case in point)

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Anyone have a good website for ordering wire by the foot? I need 2-3 feet of 12/5 or 14/5 SOOW wire to redo my new (to me) drill press switch.

Wire and cable your way has what I need but the minimum order plus shipping comes out to $65 and >$20/foot for what I’ll use is not great.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Catatron Prime posted:

I need to reapply the protective wax on a fiberglass trailer. Granted it's probably overall small enough I could've done it by hand, but I'm excited for a anything that makes a chore easier, and to me it's worth the premium to go wireless and just make the whole thing easier, especially with a roof rack to work around. Plus I figure it's probably not the worst idea to buy into the ryobi ecosystem, seems like there's always a useful whatchamajig that's too expensive to justify in the Makita lineup (case in point)

i guess my point is that these kinds of buffers aren't particularly useful which is why almost nobody in the detailing business uses them. buy a normal ROB, with interchangeable pads. you can buy pads (and backing plates) in 6, 5 and 3 inches which means you can also use it on your normal vehicles too.

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005
Pillbug

Advent Horizon posted:

Wire and cable your way has what I need but the minimum order plus shipping comes out to $65 and >$20/foot for what I’ll use is not great.

$18 for a 5ft shot looks pretty good?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303882560684

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I was going to say, if you can get past the fuckawful interface and general Internet dilapidation, eBay is where a lot of metal, plastic, and cable sellers list all their drops so it's worth checking.

MrAmazing
Jun 21, 2005

Hadlock posted:

Picked up XS versions of the pliers wrench and cobra because they were like $20 ea, but mostly because tiny tools are amusing, and perhaps maybe someday useful.

Where did you find a pair for $20? I’m insanely jealous….

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Advent Horizon posted:

Anyone have a good website for ordering wire by the foot? I need 2-3 feet of 12/5 or 14/5 SOOW wire to redo my new (to me) drill press switch.

You can sometimes get a structured cable from IGUS by the foot. EBAY is going to be cheaper and probably better for this application, but I just think IGUS is cool.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

I was going to say, if you can get past the fuckawful interface and general Internet dilapidation, eBay is where a lot of metal, plastic, and cable sellers list all their drops so it's worth checking.

I've saved so much money buying drops of some of the weird wire/cable that I use on eBay.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Lathespin.gif posted:

$18 for a 5ft shot looks pretty good?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303882560684

That seller is legit, I've bought a bunch of TXL from them for wiring my shitboxes. They also have a direct storefront that sometimes has better prices.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

MrAmazing posted:

Where did you find a pair for $20? I’m insanely jealous….

Sometimes it's better assuming what you paid, than checking the invoice :negative:

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

i guess my point is that these kinds of buffers aren't particularly useful which is why almost nobody in the detailing business uses them. buy a normal ROB, with interchangeable pads. you can buy pads (and backing plates) in 6, 5 and 3 inches which means you can also use it on your normal vehicles too.

That makes total sense, good to know! I think for my use case I'm not doing any kind of refinishing or buffing out scratches, just reapplying a wax coat for uv protection on a large rounded roofline, so it's almost a feature for me to not be able to gently caress it up and take too much material off when my clumsy bear paws presses too hard. Realistically I should've just said fuckit and bought the makita one instead of going all in on batteries and a charger for a whole new battery platform, but it'll be nice to get into the ryobi ecosystem. I've looked at stuff like their hot glue gun, tiller, or fan in the past and passed, this one was just the tipping point.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
I don't think it's unusual to go high end and low end with power tools. We bought a Ryobi mower/trimmer/blower kit and it's been a nice complement with my Milwaukee stuff. Ryobi has some unique products and it's nice to have a cheap option for things you don't use often. I don't want to pay Milwaukee money for a heat gun or portable fan for example.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I have a friend that's got currently 8 vehicles that he spends too much time cleaning, and he loves that Ryobi buffer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005
Pillbug
I’d like a nice quality mechanics stethoscope, what’s good and comfortable on the ears?