Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Bicyclops posted:

Buffy and Angel are the kind of shows where the term "robo-daddy" actually isn't specific enough. For a minute, I thought you were talking about the John Ritter stepdad. :v:

And I was thinking of Diablo Robótico!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Medullah posted:

And I was thinking of Diablo Robótico!

My favorite thing about that episode is the way that hacker computer wiz, Willow, reads all of her e-mails, which are instant messages, out loud.

That and this kid's machine:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

No, El Diablo Robotico!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Ohhhhhh, right!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

My favorite thing about that episode is the way that hacker computer wiz, Willow, reads all of her e-mails, which are instant messages, out loud.

That and this kid's machine:

You're confusing Moloch Malcolm with the greatest threat defeated by Los Hermanos Número!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

But on a side note, I've been working my way through Buffy at the gym lately, and its hilarious how the technology changes throughout. So many times in season 1 and 2 I play the "if only cell phones had existed..." game

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

My favorite is when the Scoobies all gate-crash Giles at the airport during an episode that aired in late 2000/early 2001 at the very latest. Boy did that milieu change overnight.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Medullah posted:

But on a side note, I've been working my way through Buffy at the gym lately, and its hilarious how the technology changes throughout. So many times in season 1 and 2 I play the "if only cell phones had existed..." game

The there's the one instance in s7 where someone has a cell phone and thinks to use it to warn someone and they don't answer and cell phones are never brought up again

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zVxTeflon posted:

The there's the one instance in s7 where someone has a cell phone and thinks to use it to warn someone and they don't answer and cell phones are never brought up again

A major subplot of the season seven opener is Dawn getting a weapon cell phone.

Also,

quote:

HERMANOS! THE DEVIL HAS BUILT A ROBOT!

quote:

HOO-RAY

Might be the high point of television as a medium.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Rhyno posted:

A major subplot of the season seven opener is Dawn getting a weapon cell phone.

which apparently sits in a drawer the rest of the season

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

zVxTeflon posted:

In season 1 they have problems with people not answering the phones at home; by season 4, they're buying coffee from trendy coffee joints, and by season 7 they've developed text abbreviations for "my date is a demon and is trying to kill me". Also when Willow suggested they "Google her" to research Cassie, Xander replies "Willow, she's 17." Buffy truly is representative of growing up as a middle class teenager in the 90s.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!

Rhyno posted:

I once read robo-daddy was going to be part of the original S5 finale plans.

What what whaaaat??? Why would they bring back robo dad for the S5 finale?

On another note, I really liked BuffyBot. Poor thing had an awful death.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Andrew_1985 posted:

Wesley's fake robot father. The people behind it were going to be a part of the original plan for the season five finale. Or at least that is what I read a million years ago.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Argue posted:

In season 1 they have problems with people not answering the phones at home; by season 4, they're buying coffee from trendy coffee joints, and by season 7 they've developed text abbreviations for "my date is a demon and is trying to kill me". Also when Willow suggested they "Google her" to research Cassie, Xander replies "Willow, she's 17." Buffy truly is representative of growing up as a middle class teenager in the 90s.

Written out like that it's pretty remarkable how the show was 2-4 years behind my actual coming of age milestones in every respect.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!

Rhyno posted:

Wesley's fake robot father. The people behind it were going to be a part of the original plan for the season five finale. Or at least that is what I read a million years ago.

Rhyno posted:

Oh for some reason I thought you meant Joyce's one episode robo boyfriend in Buffy

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

If they had the thought to tie Robo-Ritter to Robo-Father and even get Warren involved, they could have made a lot of disparate and stupid one-offs seem planned and interesting.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Andrew_1985 posted:

"Wait, she was a robot? Did everyone else knows she was a robot?"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

zVxTeflon posted:

Given the "there can be only one" rule it seems like most watchers would be inexperienced book only types.

Kendra's watcher seemed pretty hardcore.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Joss Whedon had a panel at comic-con, you can watch it here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bdl7vqss9nY

Age of Ultron : He said that he doesn't think there will be a directors cut of Age of Ultron. He doesn't like them in general, and thinks that the final product should be what he puts out.
There were a few things in the movie he wasn't completely satisfied with, but overall he was very happy with the movie, and for Marvel to allow him to tell the story.

When asked why Steve Rogers wasn't worthy of lifting Mjolnir, Joss half jokingly asked if Steve wasn't worthy or if he simply decided not to pick it up.

Directing : When asked about any new technology he is exited about he said drones, because they hit a sweet spot between crane and helicopter shots.

iZombie
: If he could attend one panel at comic-con it would be iZombie. (He was a big Veronica Mars fan, so that doesn't surprise me)

Doctor Horrible 2 : Everybody wants to do it, but all the actors are busy so it is a matter of finding the time for it, and to make sure they get it right.

Buffy
: Season 5 is his favourite, though it changes some times, he doesn't have a least-favourite, though he thinks that if he re-watched the series it would probably be the first one, because they only had 12 episodes and were figuring out what they wanted the show to be.

Firefly : A person asked whether the success of the Con Man crowdfunding meant that someone would be looking at Firefly in a different way, and that perhaps the people with the rights, thought it would be worth trying again.
Joss said that he doesn't ask about it, more than any other group he would love to work with the Firefly actors again, but it would have to be because he had a new story to tell, and not just to hang out with the crew.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Andrew_1985 posted:

Oh for some reason I thought you meant Joyce's one episode robo boyfriend in Buffy

That would be even harder as John Ritter died before season 5 aired.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Sorry I missed this one:

quote:

"Buffy the Vampire Slayer" star Nicholas Brendon has checked himself back into rehab after a bizarre incident where cops found him bleeding in an alley.

According to law enforcement sources ... Brendon got into an argument on July 3 with a woman at her apartment, smashed a window with his bare hands ... and then bolted. Firefighters responded and found Brendon in an alley, bleeding from the hands.

TMZ has the rest of the details. I bet they have someone on staff 1/96th dedicated to following NB's police blotter.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

shadow puppet of a posted:

Sorry I missed this one:

TMZ has the rest of the details. I bet they have someone on staff 1/96th dedicated to following NB's police blotter.

I thought he was just in rehab

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

bobkatt013 posted:

I thought he was just in rehab

You dont miss San Diego Comic Con for any reason if you are in both the nostalgia and hard up for cash industries.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Old Man Brendon is back to his old tricks.

http://www.cbs6albany.com/news/features/top-story/stories/buffy-actor-arrested-saratoga-springs-29239.shtml?wap=0

quote:

44 year old Nicolas Brendon was arrested after police say he was involved in a domestic dispute in a hotel room, according to Saratoga Springs Police. Police say they responded to a hotel room on South Broadway, there they found a 33 year old female victim. Investigators say that female acquaintance was bringing something to Brendon and was prevented from leaving. Police say Brandon forcibly took her car keys, smashed her cellphone and also grabbed her by the throat. Brandon was gone when police arrived. Brandon was located a few blocks away an arrested on Wednesday without incident. Brendon was charged with Felony 3rd degree robbery, criminal mischief and obstruction of breathing. He was arraigned Thursday morning. Brendon played the character Xander in the long running show “Buffy The Vampire Slayer”. He was also arrested back in March, accused of trashing a hotel room and back in February for the same offense after allegedly refusing to pay the hotel bill.

Read More at: http://www.cbs6albany.com/news/features/top-story/stories/buffy-actor-arrested-saratoga-springs-29239.shtml?wap=0

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

This is all very sad.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Man, and I just saw him in something new last week. I was feeling hopeful for him.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Each time I see new posts, I assume it's probably related to Brendon getting in trouble again.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

el oso posted:

Each time I see new posts, I assume it's probably related to Brendon getting in trouble again.

Well it'd been over two months since this thread saw any action. He was about due.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Okay. I have a question, and it's related to the Buffy comics and show.

Andrew: Gay?

Recently, in the Season 10 comics (which are blessed by Whedon himself) Andrew got temporarily Magicked into being his ideal self, which was apparently a 1930's (no-flight) Superman clone. Who lost all his powers when he couldn't stop himself from smooching a gay wizard.

All of which is fine.

Now, Andrew isn't sure of his sexuality anymore and it seems like all the stereotypical "Andrew is gay" homophobic jokes and nonsense (which many people who aren't gay are teased and bullied with) has become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I know this is a TV and not a comics thread, so I ask: At least in the TV shows, is Andrew gay? I thought he was just awkward.

Sorry if this is a thing that had been settled long ago.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Okay. I have a question, and it's related to the Buffy comics and show.

Andrew: Gay?

Recently, in the Season 10 comics (which are blessed by Whedon himself) Andrew got temporarily Magicked into being his ideal self, which was apparently a 1930's (no-flight) Superman clone. Who lost all his powers when he couldn't stop himself from smooching a gay wizard.

All of which is fine.

Now, Andrew isn't sure of his sexuality anymore and it seems like all the stereotypical "Andrew is gay" homophobic jokes and nonsense (which many people who aren't gay are teased and bullied with) has become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I know this is a TV and not a comics thread, so I ask: At least in the TV shows, is Andrew gay? I thought he was just awkward.

Sorry if this is a thing that had been settled long ago.

It is never stated but heavily hinted out with the fawning on Spike and Warren.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
There is that episode of Angel where he is going on a date with two hot girls, so i think he was just awkward.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah. That's what I thought, too, guy-crushes aside.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

I mean he could be bisexual but the series does seem to forget that that's a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I don't know if this is gonna make it better or worse, but the scene in Italy with Andrew and a bunch of hot girls was originally supposed to include guys as well.

"Andrew's final scene in this episode (leaving for the Opera with two attractive females while commenting that "people change") is at odds with the fact that Andrew was heavily implied (although never actually stated) to be attracted to men. Joss Whedon later discussed this on Whedonesque and admitted this apparent character change was due to this being a hold-over scene from when Dawn was expected to be in this episode (the idea being that Buffy's younger sister was now grown-up) and it was meant to be a mixed-sex group rather than all-female, but he wasn't there when it was filmed to make sure it was done properly."

I agree that, ultimately, it would have been really nice if the comics (and the show, really) had Andrew be bi, especially since -- speaking strictly in terms of logistics -- there were already several gay male characters in the comics. To date I still don't think the word bisexual has been uttered yet, despite Buffy having slept with a girl at one point, which is absurd.

But I do disagree that Andrew should've kept straight for the sake of...well, straight male nerd representation. We already had many nerdy, socially-inept, feminine straight men on the show like Jonathan, Wesley, and even Xander. And, though I'd have to rewatch to be sure, I seem to recall that all those hints about Andrew were less about him having trouble talking to girls or something and more just him periodically blurting out that men were hot. It was other characters who attributed that to his nerdiness and not his sexuality.

I think that having Andrew fawn over all these male friends and TV actors and then just brushing it off as, like, a joke at his expense and maintaining that he's just super duper straight no ifs ands or buts...that would've come across as a pretty clear, unfortunately case of queerbaiting. 'Cuz that's what it is, right? Like, here are these vast mountains of jokes and hints and winks to get the viewers wondering...but then just pull the punches at the last minute to say that those were all just jokes and hints and winks and nothing more. If I had known what queerbaiting was and how prevalent it was at the time of the scene in Italy, I probably would've been hella annoyed.

So I'm glad they...eventually, perhaps too little and too late...revealed that he wasn't straight. It does suck that he wasn't bisexual though.

• Locked thread