Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Gonna bake a cake tomorrow. A cardamom yellow cake with a raspberry filling from the raspberry bush at my house, and a cooked lemon-meringue frosting. I'd love to share it with my friend who's allergic to casein, how well does rice milk substitute for regular moo juice for the batter? Supposedly butter is casein free as well, can anyone confirm or deny this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Went ahead with the rice milk, the cake seems a little flat, but is still super tasty. Threw some vanilla extract and copious amounts of lemon zest into the batter along with the cardamom. Tried a little nibble of the edge of the cake with my raspberry filling. I literally almost cried. It's super loving good.

Spicy Soba Noodles
Apr 1, 2014

dog nougat posted:

Went ahead with the rice milk, the cake seems a little flat, but is still super tasty. Threw some vanilla extract and copious amounts of lemon zest into the batter along with the cardamom. Tried a little nibble of the edge of the cake with my raspberry filling. I literally almost cried. It's super loving good.

But where are the pictures?

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Spicy Soba Noodles posted:

But where are the pictures?

Here.

Finished it a few hours ago, got distracted by life poo poo. I couldn't get the frosting to hold peaks, but that's my fault for using a shallow bowl to mix it. (Didn't wanna fling frosting everywhere) A stand mixer would certainly be much more useful than the handheld one I have, but the frosting still turned out great. It's lemony marshmallow goodness.

Super pleased with it for being the first cake I've made in 6+ years. Next time I'm gonna use milk since the cake isn't as voluminous as I'd like. Hopefully the raspberry bush at my house will still be productive by the time I try to make this again.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Aw man, I lost the photos I took of my birthday cake. I made it myself, becoming a bit of a tradition. This was the second time I made myself a chocolate chocolate chip cake with peanut butter buttercream icing studded with pecans and oreos. Because IT'S MY BIRTHDAY I DO WHAT I WANT.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Oh man I forgot about this thread! Here, have a couple pictures of a diet coke cake I made for diet-coke-loving friend's birthday a few weeks back.

Not my idea, but this is a coke bottle used as a mold to make a chocolate shell, with the actual cap and label put back on afterwards. The cake is a caramel cake soaked with bourbon (it was actually super boozy and no one could take the cake) and cream cheese frosting, at the request of the friend whose birthday it was. I'm quite happy with how it turned out, although it took three tries to get the top half right - I kept putting the dark chocolate in while it was still too warm, and melting the nice even line of white chocolate I'd made.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

legendof posted:

Oh man I forgot about this thread! Here, have a couple pictures of a diet coke cake I made for diet-coke-loving friend's birthday a few weeks back.

Not my idea, but this is a coke bottle used as a mold to make a chocolate shell, with the actual cap and label put back on afterwards. The cake is a caramel cake soaked with bourbon (it was actually super boozy and no one could take the cake) and cream cheese frosting, at the request of the friend whose birthday it was. I'm quite happy with how it turned out, although it took three tries to get the top half right - I kept putting the dark chocolate in while it was still too warm, and melting the nice even line of white chocolate I'd made.

Holy crapola you win the thread

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
Baking goons (:black101:), what is the fedora of cakes? Is it a cake shaped like a fedora?

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I'd say a cake that comes from a mix... Also probably fedora shaped.

Spicy Soba Noodles
Apr 1, 2014
And it has that overly sweet icing. You know the kind. Sickly sweet and unpalatable.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Costco white cake with the gluey custard filling and greasy icing 2" thick.

AKA the monthly office birthday celebration cake that sits in the break room fridge for a week afterwards.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Juaguocio posted:

AKA the monthly office birthday celebration cake that sits in the break room fridge for a week afterwards.

I hate that icing. It leaves a gross coating in my mouth and nothing gets rid of it.

kitten
Feb 6, 2003

Juaguocio posted:

My work gets cakes from somewhere with whipped cream topping. At least they do something right!

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
I think I'm going to make myself some sort of beer cake for my birthday. Anyone have any good recipes that aren't on the first page of Google and don't involve cake mix?

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

Canuck-Errant posted:

I think I'm going to make myself some sort of beer cake for my birthday. Anyone have any good recipes that aren't on the first page of Google and don't involve cake mix?

Guinness brownies? They have a comparatively lighter, cakey texture to gooey brownies and are less sweet so they can be played up. For a boilermaker gimmick I brushed a batch with Jameson and topped with Bailey's whipped cream. They went over pretty well. Though I haven't tried, I don't see why you couldn't make a layer cake out of a double batch and do some sort of buttercream or ganache (or both).

If you're not a Guinness fan ... maybe experiment with beer bread or subbing beer in for the liquid in a sweet quick bread recipe?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

cocoavalley posted:

Guinness brownies? They have a comparatively lighter, cakey texture to gooey brownies and are less sweet so they can be played up. For a boilermaker gimmick I brushed a batch with Jameson and topped with Bailey's whipped cream. They went over pretty well. Though I haven't tried, I don't see why you couldn't make a layer cake out of a double batch and do some sort of buttercream or ganache (or both).

If you're not a Guinness fan ... maybe experiment with beer bread or subbing beer in for the liquid in a sweet quick bread recipe?

http://thebeeroness.com/2013/08/02/lemon-beer-dream-cake/ was the one I was looking at, actually. I'm kind of avoiding the Guinness-brownie/cupcake/whatever-with-Bailey's-icing thing because, well, the ex made that a lot and it seems a poor choice for a birthday cake :v:

Dori
Jan 14, 2005
Abducted by sheep
Does anyone have a good recipe for a gluten free chocolate cake? I have been asked to make one for a friend's kid's birthday party and apparently they haven't got a preferred recipe because it's hard to make good moist gluten free chocolate cake (kid and dad have celiacs so needs to be 100% clean). But the kid insists it must be chocolate with salted caramel filling so I'm hunting for recipes.

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.

Dori posted:

Does anyone have a good recipe for a gluten free chocolate cake? I have been asked to make one for a friend's kid's birthday party and apparently they haven't got a preferred recipe because it's hard to make good moist gluten free chocolate cake (kid and dad have celiacs so needs to be 100% clean). But the kid insists it must be chocolate with salted caramel filling so I'm hunting for recipes.

I love this chocolate cupcake recipe; I've made it a bunch of times. It uses only chickpea flour which is more convenient than other recipes that use 3-4 different GF flours. The cake turns out nice and moist without the density of some GF recipes, but it doesn't rise quite as much as traditional cake. I don't use the icing recipe they suggest, though.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Canuck-Errant posted:

Must it be beer? Because gin and tonic cake with tonic and lime icing is pretty good.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Dori posted:

Look into black bean chocolate cake recipes, they're great even if you're not celiac and extremely moist.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Made Julia child's queen of Sheba cake. Holy gently caress. Seriously the best cake I've ever made or had. Also my first foray into ganache. Superb with some champagne.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Technically a cake I guess. Made a lime cheesecake, topped with whipped cream and mango slices. It's insanely delicious.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
My housemate is throwing a pizza party, so I baked a cake. A tiramisu cake. Followed the recipe from the smitten kitchen blog. Can't wait to try it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BedBuglet
Jan 13, 2016

Snippet of poetry or some shit
Made this for a girl's birthday party. She had a stuffed penguin toy that she freaking loved. The cake was like 7 layers I think.

• Locked thread