Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Sorry, she's on 8.1. She's on an OEM key, I don't have any reinstall media for 8.1.

I think this is what you want http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media this should let you make a flash drive with windows 8.1 media on it, or a DVD if you want to burn it instead. The Key will either be on the computer on a sticker or should just work with enter a key later and activate when it checks the serial number I believe, I haven't done too much with OEM reinstall though.

I don't really love windows 8, so a move to 7 or 10 is probably better overall but not having media shouldn't stop you if she likes 8.1, I have to use 8.1 at work and support nothing but it so my hate might be biased towards reminding me of work.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

It stopped doing the captcha thing, we quarantined one file on malwarebytes. If this comes up again I'm really going to push for her to back up her stuff on her external drive and either go to 10 or 7, which I have a key and .ISO for.

I can't parse from your posts what you decided the issue was, or why. In particular with the Google account, it is pretty easy to determine logins

https://security.google.com/settings/security/activity

Also available as a log in Gmail
In a venn-diagram of malware that MB can remove, and malware that acts as a botnet (to get Google complaining), there is functionally zero overlap. If you have any reasonable suspicion the two are related you should not be using any logon credentials on that machine, or basically using it at all.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

If she really wants to stick with 8, I'll use that if it comes up. I just hate how she'll ask me how to do something and I have no idea because I never used 8 and it's completely different from anything that came before or after.

E: Sorry, it was doing this: https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/86640?hl=en

I'm going to take a look at the file tonight to see if I can tell what got quarantined.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 11, 2016

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
dunk it in holy water to get the computer demons out

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Sorry, she's on 8.1. She's on an OEM key, I don't have any reinstall media for 8.1.

You can boot to advanced boot options and reinstall from there, if its a dell then dell will mail you media for free or you could make your own using the dell tools. Barring that you can make media using Microsoft tools, but it wouldn't want to use an OEM key that's embedded in the machine.

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope

22 Eargesplitten posted:

If she really wants to stick with 8, I'll use that if it comes up. I just hate how she'll ask me how to do something and I have no idea because I never used 8 and it's completely different from anything that came before or after.

Classic Shell replaces the Metro interface with a proper start menu, and you can turn it off after you're done working on it if she likes the tiles. I've got it on my 8.1 laptop and it's nearly indistinguishable from 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
All hail the new wave of drive-by attacks. This week is Angler week.

https://blog.malwarebytes.org/malvertising-2/2016/03/large-angler-malvertising-campaign-hits-top-publishers/

• Locked thread