Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

:yeah:

They're good pulpy sci-fi / military sci-fi stuff, very readable. I knew nothing about Warhammer before I picked up the Founding, and I still know very little about it, but I'll root for Gaunt.

The first two GG novels are a bit dull, but with Necropolis the series hits its stride. The Eisenhorn trilogy has some pretty good world-building (the main character is essentially a secret agent in a science-fiction setting where demonic possession is a real danger). Good pulpy action even if you are unfamiliar with the universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
I started The Sound and the Fury last night and I'm already halfway through. It's a darn good read.

Hevo
Jul 8, 2015

Just finished up Homage to Catalonia, and will be moving on to something entirely different.

Have had James Scott's Against the Grain gathering dust on my Kindle for a few months now, so now is as good a time as any to pick it up. Haven't really got extensive knowledge about the history of early civilizations, so it'll be an interesting read for sure.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Enemy at the Gates . Went on sale for kindle today, pretty loving interesting so far.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Cosmic Creepers posted:

Have had James Scott's Against the Grain gathering dust on my Kindle for a few months now, so now is as good a time as any to pick it up. Haven't really got extensive knowledge about the history of early civilizations, so it'll be an interesting read for sure.

The subject matter interests me, though I'm wary that it's going to be a contrarian primitivism/anarchy circle jerk.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
I recently returned from a trip to Southeast Asia and while I was there I discovered that there are a ton of cool English language used bookstores in the area, especially in Chiang Mai, Thailand but I also spent time in bookstores in Bangkok as well as in Laos, Malaysia and Singapore. I focused almost entirely on getting books about or from the region that you don't often see outside of it and came back with quite a haul including a couple of things that seem pretty rare based on google and amazon searches.

Anthology of ASEAN Literatures: Epics of the Philippines. Published in 1983 in Manila as part of a series highlighting the traditional oral and written literature of ASEAN member states.
The Glass Palace Chronicle of the Kings of Myanmar. Published in Yangon in 2008 in a limited run of 1000 copies to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the translation.
Letters from Thailand by Botan
Jungle Book: Thailand's Politics, Moral Panic, and Plunder, 1996-2008 by Chang Noi
History of Timor-Leste by Frederic B. Durand
The River's Tale: A Year on the Mekong by Edward A. Gargan. This one's actually a bootleg copy, which personally I'm fine with.
Forest Recollections: Wandering Monks in Twentieth-Century Thailand by Kamala Tiyavanich
Si Phaendin (Four Reigns) by Kukrit Pramoj
Got Singapore: Bits & Pieces from a Dot in the World by Richard Lim
Max Havelaar by Multatuli
Travels in Upper Laos and Siam, with an Account of the Chinese Haw Invasion and Puan Resistance by P. Neis
History of Lan Na by Sarassawadee Ongsakul
The River of Lost Footsteps: Histories of Burma by Thant Myint-U. Another bootleg copy.
Durians are Not the Only Fruit by Wong Yoon Wah

Socialized
Oct 27, 2010
Just began 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami. I read the Wind-Up Bird Chronicle and really enjoyed it, even though I don’t think I really understood it. Is it true that the third book is poorly translated?

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

stereobreadsticks posted:

I recently returned from a trip to Southeast Asia and while I was there I discovered that there are a ton of cool English language used bookstores in the area, especially in Chiang Mai, Thailand but I also spent time in bookstores in Bangkok as well as in Laos, Malaysia and Singapore. I focused almost entirely on getting books about or from the region that you don't often see outside of it and came back with quite a haul including a couple of things that seem pretty rare based on google and amazon searches.

Anthology of ASEAN Literatures: Epics of the Philippines. Published in 1983 in Manila as part of a series highlighting the traditional oral and written literature of ASEAN member states.
The Glass Palace Chronicle of the Kings of Myanmar. Published in Yangon in 2008 in a limited run of 1000 copies to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the translation.
Letters from Thailand by Botan
Jungle Book: Thailand's Politics, Moral Panic, and Plunder, 1996-2008 by Chang Noi
History of Timor-Leste by Frederic B. Durand
The River's Tale: A Year on the Mekong by Edward A. Gargan. This one's actually a bootleg copy, which personally I'm fine with.
Forest Recollections: Wandering Monks in Twentieth-Century Thailand by Kamala Tiyavanich
Si Phaendin (Four Reigns) by Kukrit Pramoj
Got Singapore: Bits & Pieces from a Dot in the World by Richard Lim
Max Havelaar by Multatuli
Travels in Upper Laos and Siam, with an Account of the Chinese Haw Invasion and Puan Resistance by P. Neis
History of Lan Na by Sarassawadee Ongsakul
The River of Lost Footsteps: Histories of Burma by Thant Myint-U. Another bootleg copy.
Durians are Not the Only Fruit by Wong Yoon Wah

That's an impressive haul for sure. Any insight into the book reading/buying culture while you were there?

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

Captain Hotbutt posted:

That's an impressive haul for sure. Any insight into the book reading/buying culture while you were there?

Well, I don't know about the local book culture to be honest because the shops I went to (except in Singapore and to a lesser extent Malaysia) seemed very heavily oriented toward backpackers and expats. I did get a chance to have a nice chat with the owner of Orn's Bookshop in Chiang Rai which is a great place. He's a German guy who's lived there for years but he says that his business is really down lately, mostly because the advent of ebooks means that most foreigners in the region just aren't looking for physical books to anywhere near the same extent they used to. Personally, while I like ebooks, I greatly prefer physical books while traveling. It just seems more romantic to have an actual book in your hands when you're sitting on an overnight bus through Laos or a train through the Balkans or something like that, you know?

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
I just started goon-favorite "The Black Company". I don't know what to make of it so far.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Just started The Gone World by Tom Sweterlitsch. Only a few chapters in and it's got me hooked. Great concept and some seriously fantastic prose.

"Nestor's forehead rippled as if the question had been a stone tossed into the lake of his thought."

drat!

unstucker
Jan 4, 2018
I've just started reading "The Hobbit" by Tolkien. Cool thing)

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Captain Hotbutt posted:

I started The Sound and the Fury last night and I'm already halfway through. It's a darn good read.

I've got a bunch of my dear old dad's mid-century literary hardcovers, and I'm starting the Viking Portable Library Faulkner. Wish me luck.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I'm doing my first reread of The World According to Garp in over 30 years. I was a junior in high school when it first came out. For some unknown reason, the librarian took a liking to me and thought I was mature enough to read this. It was definitely not what I was used to reading. I've read it a couple of times since then, but it's been a while.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Captain Hotbutt posted:

"The Black Company"

I just started this myself, actually - after buying it ages ago and only just now getting around to it...
But yeah, although I have been enjoying it so far, I did notice that all the character and place names are so distinctly...fantasy. Like, it's not a bad thing, but I'll genuinely be surprised if the Company meets a "John" or "Bob"! :v: Since so far literally everyone (including regular schmos who presumably only get mentioned once or twice) has a distinctive name/nickname, like "Peewee", "Jolly", "Elmo" and "Longhead".

Also, does the author actually go into any detail, when it comes to battles, etc.? Since (aside from the Forvalaka fight, which doesn't really count as it's 1 v TBC fight and not a conventional battle) so far whenever there's a big fight coming up, Croaker simply says something like "[...] and then [X] ordered us to take [Y]. So we did."
I mean, don't get me wrong, I do like his nonchalant, slightly-desensitized attitude towards combat, but I'd like it if there was a little detail about what happened and who/how many died, etc.

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.
Amazon just delivered The Three -Body Problem by Cixin Liu, heard it was good sci-fi, can't wait to get started.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Well, as I've finished the first book in The Black Company trilogy, I've bought the all-three-in-one (as you can't seem to buy #2 or #3 separately these days) volume, as well as Passage at Arms, seeing as that was recommended to me on SA as well.

I really regret placing my order as late as I did, though - I should've placed it right after the first couple of chapters, when I knew I'd enjoy the rest. Since now I've got to wait another week for them to arrive. :doh:
(And then later in the month I'll end up buying the new Witcher book, so May is gonna be a very fantasy-filled month of reading, for me)

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
I've been traveling in South America for a while now, stopping in at book shops every now and again to see if they've got anything interesting in English. A few weeks back in Quito I picked up The Heretic by Miguel Delibes (which I enjoyed but thought the translation was a bit lacking and needed proofreading, seriously I've never read a professionally published book with more typos) and The Last Cannibals: A South American Oral History by Ellen B. Basso, which I'm currently reading and really enjoying. It's an academic anthropology book but the majority of the book is direct translations of stories told to the author by Kalapalo tribal storytellers in the Upper Xingu region of Brazil. The stories aren't modified to be easier to comprehend or more accessible to outsiders, the translations are very direct and it's fascinating to see such a different approach to narrative. Today in Lima I picked up Yawar Fiesta and Deep Rivers, both by Jose Maria Arguedas, as well as The Vintage Book of Latin American Stories, edited by Carlos Fuentes and Julio Ortega with contributions by Borges, Cortazar, Marquez, and Lispector among others.

jagstag
Oct 26, 2015

just got a bunch of books for cheap

nasuea by sartre
a book on russian fairy tales
gogol's dark souls novelization
book of mormon that a mormon gave me for free
liberators by robert harvey
despair by nabokov
dodonpachi daioujou by cave

strangely no czech books this time

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
That Russian fairy tale book looks rad as hell

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Another trip to my favourite bookstore leaves me under an ever growing pile of must reads...

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Not a bad haul. What's first on the list?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Robot Wendigo posted:

Not a bad haul. What's first on the list?

Debating between This Census-Taker and Norse Mythology, as I already am reading a social commentary and would like to avoid overdosing on that immediately, and have no fun light books on the go.

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jun 24, 2018

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Just reached the big jump in time in The Passage by Justin Cronin. There were a few moments early on that read like pulp sci-fi and I was a bit concerned, but very much enjoying it at the moment.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Just got We Are Legion by Dennis E. Taylor on audiobook

I cringed when I first heard the references to Star Wars and Star Trek and thought they'd go away after a few chapters...

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The North Water by Ian McGuire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
I've just started reading The Manchurian Candidate by Richard Condon, seeing as I've always heard it was good (yet never saw the films) as well as that I've been playing Phantom Doctrine on PC, which drew inspiration from TMC.

I've been quite enjoying it, so far - I'm just shy of halfway in. I've reached the point where Raymond murders Gaines, then is shocked to hear about it afterwards due to his conditioning, then puts a $5,000 reward on finding the killer. I quite like how the author goes to such great lengths explaining how Raymond is just so immensely unlikeable, as well as how fleshy Johnny's nose is. :D

• Locked thread