Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Yeah, it's hard to recommend cameras without knowing what this videographer is going to be shooting. If you're just shooting stuff on a prelit stage, I could easily see Canon, Sony, or Blackmagic doing well, but if you're doing something in addition like outdoors lowlight material, then Canon or Sony would be better at that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

powderific posted:

What kind of budget are we talking here? What will the video person's main duties be / what are they gonna be filming?

Budget is an unknown, I've been told to spend some money otherwise lose it, it's the same dumb poo poo that happens every year but say a solid £30k (I'm in the UK). I know our HR team are crazy slow so the job will go out after the deadline I need to have spent and have the kit here, so I'm attempting to put something together that isn't going to suck despite people obviously having kit preferences (like myself, a Canon guy).

As far as content goes the things we've done before and will be getting more of will be stuff like interviews with researchers, footage of various manufacturing processes and machinery we have, some occasional green screen stuff. I imagine most will be indoors, we have a small studio space but we'll be getting a lot more footage out 'in the field' in labs/research areas for digital signage content, YouTube and our own website. We produce a reasonable amount of extra teaching content and this is the stuff done in the studio which is another thing I'd like to improve by acquiring a larger space for it. But that's another argument/project.

I apologise if that's fairly vague but I appreciate the help so far and the various comments. It gives me a starting point to go do some reading.

*edit number 8 or something: Having a chat with the boss I'm going to try put together a few quotes, one base level but which would be an improvement over what we have, one 'would be nice to have these' and a stupid shoot for the moon one. :v:

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Apr 26, 2024

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Budget is an unknown, I've been told to spend some money otherwise lose it, it's the same dumb poo poo that happens every year but say a solid £30k (I'm in the UK). I know our HR team are crazy slow so the job will go out after the deadline I need to have spent and have the kit here, so I'm attempting to put something together that isn't going to suck despite people obviously having kit preferences (like myself, a Canon guy).

As far as content goes the things we've done before and will be getting more of will be stuff like interviews with researchers, footage of various manufacturing processes and machinery we have, some occasional green screen stuff. I imagine most will be indoors, we have a small studio space but we'll be getting a lot more footage out 'in the field' in labs/research areas for digital signage content, YouTube and our own website. We produce a reasonable amount of extra teaching content and this is the stuff done in the studio which is another thing I'd like to improve by acquiring a larger space for it. But that's another argument/project.

I apologise if that's fairly vague but I appreciate the help so far and the various comments. It gives me a starting point to go do some reading.

*edit number 8 or something: Having a chat with the boss I'm going to try put together a few quotes, one base level but which would be an improvement over what we have, one 'would be nice to have these' and a stupid shoot for the moon one. :v:

£30K is a lot of money. 2x or 3x C70's then + lights + lenses + audio gear + tripods will do you well imo. C300 MkIII or FX6 if you want to go a bit above.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I think for that budget/use case something in the realm of a C70 or a C300 MkIII would be a safe bet. Whatever you do, you may want to work through someone like CVP who will have sales people who can help build out the quotes and make sure you aren't missing anything. You can run it by us here if you're worried about being oversold or whatever but even as someone who knows what they're doing I've found having sales people at Abelcine etc. helpful.