Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Some 900s have mounts on the bumper, I will fabricate my own.

Like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Actually I drove to work this morning and it was foggy as all hell. Now I am thinking about how to hook up the lights so that if I turn on the fog light switch, it'll send 12V through a voltage booster and send 24V to the front lights. So I can use the same lamps as both position lamps for regular driving and fog lights for when it's needed. With the same burner. Feeling real clever now.

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

think of it like the "Who's Who" of genitals

His Divine Shadow posted:

Some 900s have mounts on the bumper, I will fabricate my own.

Like this

Meant an electricity socket. I think it's male version of this.

I have one that says HUOMIOVALOT underneath it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I haven't seen anything at least. I will be doing my own custom wiring at any rate.

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

I haven't seen anything at least. I will be doing my own custom wiring at any rate.

Was just interested if they still have those. Mine is next to the fusebox.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'll have a look around later, be nice to save some effort on the wiring job.

Also ignore this 24V doohickery above, I snowed myself in on the 24V lamps. But it would actually be easier to just use the 12V lamps in foglight mode, then use a suitable resistor to reduce the voltage for position lamp mode.

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

I'll have a look around later, be nice to save some effort on the wiring job.

Also ignore this 24V doohickery above, I snowed myself in on the 24V lamps. But it would actually be easier to just use the 12V lamps in foglight mode, then use a suitable resistor to reduce the voltage for position lamp mode.

Does the 900 still have that relay that drops the voltage of the headlights to ~6v? Dont know if that would make it easier or harder though.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I don't know, looked over the fusebox but didn't see nothing about an extra outlet for the front fog lights, nor anything on the text on the lid mentions front fog light fuses.

I do remember in the left wheel housing, under the headlight assembly I found a dangling connector that is not hooked up to anything. I should connect a multimeter to it and see if it gives any power when the fog light switch is turned on. Unlikely I think.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Looking through my workshop manuals and maybe I am not far off, the wiring for factory front fog lights would be going down that path. If so that simplifies things a lot for me.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Captain Kosmos posted:

Meant an electricity socket. I think it's male version of this.

I have one that says HUOMIOVALOT underneath it.

Managed to fish the loose connector out without having to remove anything, it does not look like this. And regardless of light configuration no power was sent to the connector, seems entirely inert. Wires are not very thick either so I doubt it's meant to handle much of anything.

I also found out I do not have a working fog light in the rear either. And I am not sure which light is supposed to be the one that lights up even.

e: I need to see if they power on during reverse, that would be cool if they were leftovers from when saab had front reverse lights.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Aug 30, 2023

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

Managed to fish the loose connector out without having to remove anything, it does not look like this. And regardless of light configuration no power was sent to the connector, seems entirely inert. Wires are not very thick either so I doubt it's meant to handle much of anything.

I also found out I do not have a working fog light in the rear either. And I am not sure which light is supposed to be the one that lights up even.

e: I need to see if they power on during reverse, that would be cool if they were leftovers from when saab had front reverse lights.

900s probably doesn't have that anymore or your's isn't made in Finland. Would guess that's a Finnish specialty. I have old-school DRLs and that socket, so guess I should use it then. :shrug:
Trying to get the 99 inspected tomorrow, so everyone needs to really focus their energy on it or pray to Satan so it will pass. It's the first time in... uh... +12 years? :kstare:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Oh my 900 is made in Uusikaupunki at the Valmet plant. I checked out it's history carefully, even found a sticker inside the dash with a bunch of info on it. I dunno what else that connector might be for though. They did make a lot of Saabs for the export markets in the valmet plant, so perhaps not impossible for it to be that.

Good luck with the inspection

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

Time is near my brothers! 10 minutes to the moment! Send all your mental Saab powers to the 99 and let's make this happen!

Here's my socket. Guess the 900 doesn't have that anymore.

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

From the abyss, Shub-Niggurath's essence births the Saab 99, an eldritch chariot. Inspectors tremble as it arrives at the station—cosmic forces entwined in its metal. Anomaly and enigma, it beckons, a key to unlock existence. Dare you step into the abyss?

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

Nope. Rust and handbrake. Nothing too bad, still annoying.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

What a PITA weekend. Got sick, didn't have time to work much on the car. Also have to build a greenhouse with my SO.

So one rear light isn't working. I figured out it was because it's simply not hooked up, no wire going to the right connector. I hooked up a wire from the matching left light to the dark light and it works.

No idea yet on the rear fog light.

Found a crack on the left rear light, gently caress. I haven't even touched that one. The plastic must be so brittle. And the repaired cracks on the right taillight have started leaking in water. Appears they've gotten worse. gently caress.

And then the reverse lights stopped working. Fuse is OK, lamps are OK. Just no power going through the wires for the reverse lights. Suspecting the switch.

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

And then the reverse lights stopped working. Fuse is OK, lamps are OK. Just no power going through the wires for the reverse lights. Suspecting the switch.

I have a broken switch and no power going to the lamps, the switch has 12v on it. Good thing I wanted to double-check if they work when connecting the wires. Really don't want to start going through the wires though. Hopefully, it's a corroded connector. It has been unused since 2012 it has some corrosion on the electorics. It's rear foglight is also not working so hoping they are in the same connector that corroded.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not sure which light is supposed to be the fog light. Based on the saab manual I can only conclude lol:

7 not pictured.

No.6 is also not a brake light on mine as the manual says, it's constantly on. I am suspecting now that the PO has connected things up incorrectly. Turned the brake light into a rear light, put in a smaller bulb. I doubled up his error by doing the same to the right side.

I now think that no. 6 is a brake light that doubles as the rear fog light, and is supposed to be dark normally.

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

I'm not sure which light is supposed to be the fog light. Based on the saab manual I can only conclude lol:

7 not pictured.

No.6 is also not a brake light on mine as the manual says, it's constantly on. I am suspecting now that the PO has connected things up incorrectly. Turned the brake light into a rear light, put in a smaller bulb. I doubled up his error by doing the same to the right side.

I now think that no. 6 is a brake light that doubles as the rear fog light, and is supposed to be dark normally.
Would guess 2. It's 21W, usually the rear lights are 5W.

Edit, or is backljus reverse light?

Captain Kosmos fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Sep 4, 2023

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Yeah that's the reverse light I also found this schematic in the 6000 page PDF I got which is how the rear fog lights could be hooked up.

It's so huge it's hard to find what you are looking for some times, atleast it's been OCRed.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 4, 2023

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Also found the rear brakes, they are the same on the lamps

quote:

Depending on the model year and market, one or
two lamps (30) on each side for the brake lights. In those
in cases where two lamps are used, the second lamp is switched on
using a jumper/wire (A). (On Combi
Coupe via wire 132A RED.)

Market Europe
Jumper A is missing. Only one lamp on each side lights up
when braking. (The extra lamps are used instead
for rear fog lights.)

So I think I have gotten to the bottom how it's supposed to work. And I could go the following ways:

1. Disconnect the lights except as fog light on the left side. Boring solution.
2. Connect them both as brake lights instead, more fun solution.
3. Connect them both as brake lights and also as fog lights. Funniest solution.
4. Leave them as 5W rear lights as they are now, easiest solution since this is what I got now. Not sure what they will say at the inspections about that however.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Help. Considering a 9000 as a winter car.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I have been told the 9000 is the best and SAABiest model of them all. You should do it so I can live vicariously through your SAAB experience.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm reading a lot of good things about it, though it cannot be the SAABiest, key is in the wrong place, hood opens the wrong way, engine is transverse mounted.

But it's a helluva car from what I am reading. The 2.3 Turbo versions in particular.

Still I got no extra cash to spare and I need to focus on the 900 for now. Just stamp the urge down for a year or two yet. ..

For anyone who understands Swedish, here's some reviews from the venerable Trafikmagasinet show which ran in Sweden for many years, it was a real good show. Unfortunately no subtitles that I can see. It's multiple reviews of the 9000 over the years:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDdsfnsJAlw

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Oct 4, 2023

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Help. Considering a 9000 as a winter car.

Do iiiiiiiiiiit.

Here's some photos of my first car ('91 9000) in it's natural habitat 20+ years ago. Which is totally not a sign you should get a 9000 for the winter.

I loved that car, it was a tank in the snow.

I ended up donating to a local Saab mechanic a few years later who told me he was going to part it out "so that other Saabs may live".

JayKay fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Oct 5, 2023

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I just took my 900 off the road, its now in "sleep mode" until spring. Driving my Yaris diesel now and boy it feels weird. I do have a lot more leg room in the Saab, naturally. I'm 6'2" so the Yaris is right about at my limit.

But I am noticing how it differs, the yaris overall requires less muscle power. The gears are super easy to swap around compared to the 900 and the clutch requires less force to engage, and the power steering feels superpowered in comparison. I had to relearn some muscle memories there.

I do think the 900 needs all new servo fluid and a good flush of all the old blackish fluid. Reservoir is a bit low as is, so I don't think the power steering is at it's best right now. But it's a car that needs more muscles, everything abou the 900 feels like it has heft and weight to it, despite it being the same weight as the Yaris.

If I want a 9000 to replace the Yaris I will have to fix up the worst spots on this one so I can get something (anything) for it. It's dented and rough looking, bubbling rust spots on the roof too near the windshield

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 253 days!)

Buy the 9000. It'll break you.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
There was a dang 97' 9000 CSE in Seattle for a grand, running.

Missed out on it, but a red aero is absolutely a Saab I'll own before I die (maybe).

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Mcqueen posted:

Missed out on it, but a red aero is absolutely a Saab I'll own before I die (maybe).

Same year as my 9000; Completely worn out. Balance shaft literally wore it's way clear. Would not recommend.

I'll take an '08 Lynx.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

The 9000 is the last model Saab I could consider owning personally. The latter models hold no interest for me.

I am personally reading a lot of good stuff about the last models of the 9000 with 2.3 turbo so that would be the model I would look out for, even though the pre-face lift 9000s look nicer I want the latter models with trionic and higher gearing for better mileage.

But I'm gonna focus on the 900 for a while yet, finish one thing before starting another.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Mcqueen posted:

Forgot to mention: there's a '72 99 about an hour away for me for a bit over a grand. It's purple, though. If it was a '78 99 Turbo, I'd kick an '08 out of the garage for it.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
I think the newer gen 9000 selling point for me was being a dumbass kid showing up to some car meet and seeing a 9000 with a giant holset...hx35(?) strapped to it, no intercooler, no nothing and it being at the time the fastest car I'd have ever been in...for 3 minutes at a time until it overheated. Besides that, and that they embody a certain early 90's aesthetic, I'd have no reason to own one.

A 99 in any condition would rate higher for me. I missed out on a reasonably rusty one in Portland...blue I think, almost a year ago now. Garage is full or I'd be looking harder.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm looking for a car I could reliably use year round in a practical manner however. So it puts certain requirements on practicality and economics and safety.

The 900 is drat good as a winter driver actually, helluva good handling and winterization features IMO.

But I feel it's not economical enough on the fuel consumption front IMO. But safety is the bigger issue. It's very a safe car for it's era but I don't feel entirely good about driving my kids in it during wintertime. And of course the salt. The drat salt! I care about this car too much to expose it to salt, even with anti corrosion treatments.

Now the 9000 is a much safer a car, and the latest model years with the 2.3 Turbo is actually a lot more economical due to higher gearing and trionic system. I am reading a fuel consumption thread on a finnish saab forum and lots of 9000 drivers reporting mileage of 32-38 mpg on long straight drives. Which describes my commute perfectly.

Safety wise the 9000 is impressive for its age, when it was new it was world class but in 2017 swedish insurance company Folksam compiled a huge database of crash statistics and found the 9000 was still an above average car by 2017 safety wise. So I think the 9000 is still good enough to ride around in with a good conscience in winter.

And the 9000 seems to still be a simple enough car to be a car that I can maintain myself at home like my 900.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Also I'm considering installing an 8.8 primary in the 900. There's a dude in sweden making an 8.5 and 8.8 primary kit for 900s. With this I should get a smoother ride (no more jerkiness in lower gears and when easing up the throttle) and better mileage.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Also, phrasing:

I bet they thought about phrasing long and hard. Even the license plate fits.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Mcqueen posted:

A 99 in any condition would rate higher for me. I missed out on a reasonably rusty one in Portland...blue I think, almost a year ago now. Garage is full or I'd be looking harder.

This one's got the option of also a few rolling chassis and lots of core parts, but same.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Good news for Saab classic owners!

https://carup.se/saabar-raddas-delar-borjar-tillverkas-i-trollhattan-igen/

Google translated article text:

quote:

Now old Saabs are to be saved with newly manufactured parts. New production of Saab parts is started in the old Saab factory at Stallbacka in Trollhättan.

- There are a lot of people who drive Saab as a hobby, there are many families with children who drive Saab cars as an everyday car, says Göran Fredriksson, communications manager at Svenska Saabklubben Reservdels AB.

Over 100,000 Saabs have been scrapped in Sweden since 2016, but there are still well over 200,000 cars from Trollhättan left. There are a total of one million Saabs left around the world. After the bankruptcy in 2011, it has become increasingly difficult to find certain parts for both newer and older cars. But now a rescue is in sight.

New production of parts will start in the old Saab factory at Stallbacka in Trollhättan. It is the Swedish Saabklubben Reservdelar AB and TechRoi that have concluded an agreement on the new manufacture of parts for Saab. It is about both parts for modern cars and older classics.

- When production ceased in 2012, there were spare parts left, now they are running out. Some of the newer ones that are damaged in a crash cannot be repaired, then there are no sheet metal parts, for example, says Göran Fredriksson, communications manager at Svenska Saabklubben Reservdels AB to Sveriges Radio P4 Väst .

Now it will be easier to keep alive classics such as Saab 96, 99 and 900, but also newer models such as 9-3 and 9-5. Many Swedes love their Saabs and have them both as hobby cars and utility vehicles.
- It's extra fun as our concept center is part of the Saab heritage at Stallbacka, regarding both knowledge and locations, says Stefan André, CEO of TechRoi who is responsible for manufacturing.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Good news for Saab classic owners!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Saabs have had a reputation as safe cars. But here's evidence that shatters this claim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme
I bought a Saab. Or a third of one anyway. It's a 1998 Saab 9-3 with around 330 000 kms and no service history. Good summer tires on OEM alloy wheels as well. We bought it to participate in a cheap car endurance race next summer. It also has a small oil and coolant leak and apparently the thermostat is failing as well.

We have about $100 left on parts so oil change, filter and plugs and replacing dashboard backlight are in order when it's warm enough to work on it outside. What we have left after that goes to looking the electric mirror controls which do not seem to work and checking if the a/c can hold a charge.

About the a/c compressor: should the magnetic clutch kick in even in sub-zero temperature? When we were testdriving it it was around -10 C and we did not hear any noise from the compressor when trying to turn it on or off. It also might be out of charge.

Only registered members can see post attachments!