Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kru
Oct 5, 2003

Couple of beers going on at Prince of Wales little India, 7pm start.

All welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011
I'm in Singapore for the next four weeks, is there anything interesting on that I should know about?

kenner116
May 15, 2009
Palau Ubin is pretty cool.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

tentish klown posted:

I'm in Singapore for the next four weeks, is there anything interesting on that I should know about?
Apparently beers at the Prince of Wales!

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kessel posted:

That list is about right.

Hit up Good Beer Company and Smith St Taps first - they are in the same food centre and you can see one from the other. The other one I like best on that list is Druggists over on Tyrwhitt Rd. Lots of taps and some very interesting beers. The Armoury over at South Beach is okay but the real reason to go there is its sister restaurant Vatos, right next door, which offers killer Korean Tex-Mex.

I love the Druggists, beers from my home country and it's crawling distance from where I live. But last time I tried the food there it wasn't that good.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I'm weighing the pros and cons of moving to Singapore from Tokyo. My waifu lived there for 3 years and basically wants to move back. I would likely be doing the same finance/banking bullshit that I've been doing since 2008. She's of the opinion that Japanese girls command some sort of status (likely because she's Japanese herself including associated Asian elitism) over other girls there so she wants to start some kind of weird dating service for foreign guys in SGP to find Japanese girlfriends in SGP. I have absolutely no idea if this is a viable idea or not, it's just what she wants to do. So she'd be quitting her finance career.

Anyway having only been to SGP once for like 4 days for work, I have a skewed opinion of what it's like. Could anyone chime in if my viewpoint is way off? Obviously if you've visited Tokyo you'll have a better frame of reference but maybe not required to respond. Please feel free to insert "compared to Tokyo" in front of any of the below statements.

1. While salaries are lower, so are taxes
2. Housing however is not cheaper
3. Alcohol is really really REALLY expensive. This is a big deal for me
4. There is no winter, or spring, or fall. Goodbye snowboard season
5. Easier/better place to raise kids
6. The city is so small everyone evacuates to more interesting SE Asia destinations on weekends
7. There isn't much of a mid-range. You're either shoveling cheap yet tasty hawker food in your mouth or shelling out $80 US per person for some non-native food

I realize the above sounds a bit negative but I've recently wondered if I'm getting too old for the "get wasted, nail randos" lifestyle here in Tokyo. Would SGP help me or do I just need the gold goon-standard therapy?

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 10:34 on May 18, 2016

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

zmcnulty posted:

I'm weighing the pros and cons of moving to Singapore from Tokyo. My waifu lived there for 3 years and basically wants to move back. I would likely be doing the same finance/banking bullshit that I've been doing since 2008. She's of the opinion that Japanese girls command some sort of status (likely because she's Japanese herself including associated Asian elitism) over other girls there so she wants to start some kind of weird dating service for foreign guys in SGP to find Japanese girlfriends in SGP. I have absolutely no idea if this is a viable idea or not, it's just what she wants to do. So she'd be quitting her finance career.

Anyway having only been to SGP once for like 4 days for work, I have a skewed opinion of what it's like. Could anyone chime in if my viewpoint is way off? Obviously if you've visited Tokyo you'll have a better frame of reference but maybe not required to respond. Please feel free to insert "compared to Tokyo" in front of any of the below statements.

6. The city is so small everyone evacuates to more interesting SE Asia destinations on weekends
7. There isn't much of a mid-range. You're either shoveling cheap yet tasty hawker food in your mouth or shelling out $80 US per person for some non-native food

I realize the above sounds a bit negative but I've recently wondered if I'm getting too old for the "get wasted, nail randos" lifestyle here in Tokyo. Would SGP help me or do I just need the gold goon-standard therapy?

Here are my observations, I've only visited Tokyo/Japan for business but I currently live in Singapore.

1. I get the impression everything in Singapore is multi-tiered. When I look at my field (IT) you see the crap jobs that barely pay $2000 a month at poo poo companies, and the decent jobs for $5000 a month at decent companies. Taxes are deliciously low, my income tax for last year was about 5% I think. If I look at Glassdoor to see what my job title gets in Tokyo I'm not impressed.
2. Housing is generally expensive. I pay $1500 a month for a room close to the center in a nice condo, the whole unit is $6000 a month. My GF shares a condo an hour away from the centerand they total $2500 for the whole thing.
3. Yup, Tokyo and Seoul aren't cheap to drink in either but Singapore is even worse then that. Then again if you start drinking early or during weekdays, lots of bars have happy hours going on that can reduce the damage. The Druggists, the bar I mentioned a couple of posts up, I pay about $15 for a pint of craft beer from Europe, thats about 1200 yens.
4. It's always gonna be warm and humid. Always.
5. I don't have kids, but I heard colleagues who weren't citizens/PR's having issues with getting kids into schools without paying a loving premium for an international school.
6. Changi is a really good hub airport, Singapore has a bunch of long weekends due to public holidays, so it's easy and very affordable to gently caress off to some Thai/Filipino beach paradise where beer has single digit prices.
7. I have very little trouble finding any major cuisine at reasonable prices, what runs up my bill to $80 a person is the fact that I always have a pint or 2 with dinner.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Sprechensiesexy posted:

I love the Druggists, beers from my home country and it's crawling distance from where I live. But last time I tried the food there it wasn't that good.

The food there is awful, you're correct. I just eat somewhere else with friends (the nearby areas have plenty of good options) and then drink a lot of beer there.

zmcnulty posted:

You know me from the Japan thread. I was born and raised in Singapore before I moved to America and then Japan. I spend half my time in Singapore and the other half in Japan.

Your SO is correct in that Japanese girls enjoy status here. Singaporeans loving love Japan and have all the stereotypical associations people make about Japanese girls (source: my SO, who is also Japanese, has to put up with this poo poo a lot). I don't know about her dating service idea, though, because all the weeaboos who wanted Japan in their lives already either attended school in Japan or found a job there (Singaporean spending power is high, and Japanese immigration grants visas to Singaporeans like candy). The ones who didn't move to Japan usually speak the language disturbingly fluently and may not actually need a dating service to find a waifu.

Depending on what job you do and what tier you're in, salaries vary wildly. As the previous poster noted, the low end here is quite low and the high end here is extremely high - so your actual take-home pay can't really be commented on by anyone in this thread without knowing what a company might offer you. Housing is definitely not cheap but you can find okay deals if you don't live like a high-rolling white expat. Income tax is low.

Alcohol is really, really expensive. You'll get over it. I just buy it by the bottle from dealers I trust. Don't pay restaurant prices.

There are no seasons. You will probably rue not being able to feel the passing of time.

Previous poster is again correct in that getting your kid into a public school here is difficult if neither of you are permanent residents. I'd still choose to raise a kid here instead of Japan, though - English being the language of instruction in schools, and other policies such as compulsory bilingualism, mean they're going to have a huge advantage over Japanese kids who speak only Japanese and "this is a pen". If it matters to you, good students brought up under the Singapore system of instruction usually have zero problems getting into good universities around the world.

Overseas holidays are a big thing here, yes. I think the last government report noted that more than 80% of Singaporeans have been overseas before, which is a ridiculous number even for a small country. Short hops to SEA destinations are very common, Japan and Korea are perennial favourites (if the flights between SG and JP aren't full of Singaporeans they are invariably full of Japanese) and plenty of upper middle class families take long-haul holidays to the US and Europe.

There is definitely a midrange when it comes to food, but it's difficult for a visitor to spot. I will say that the high end here has seen prices soar to loving unbelievable heights.

You can look me up on LINE if you have more specific questions. I'm in the goon group.

Kessel fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 18, 2016

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Why dont we all meet for a beer at some point?

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
I'll check out The Druggists next week I think. Went to Little Island a few days ago (cool spot, not so great beers), Brewerks (okay beers, super close to my hotel), JiBiru (great Japanese beer selection), and Smith Street Taps where I shared some beers that I brought with the guys there.

If anyone wants to meet up, I still have a few IPAs and a saison I brought from Oregon. I'm here till the 28th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kru posted:

Why dont we all meet for a beer at some point?

Sounds like fun, I'll join provided I'm not abroad when something is scheduled.

• Locked thread