Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

DrSunshine posted:

It's pretty telling that in her dreams, she's skinny and thin, and in fact smaller than her brother. That's how she sees herself, ideally. That's what really feels disturbing about it.

I'm not sure that's how she sees herself so much as how she wishes she was. Far more 'normal' and being happy and satisfied with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

Important details should be repeated.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

doyle-san posted:

or whatever they are both just going to get a beating at the hands of the same Korean Muay Thai mix up and their rivalry can develop further from a more humble place.

That will be the best possible development.

Also the scariest part of Natsuo's perfect dream world is not that she is a "perfect little sister", but that she views a complete lack of agency as something positive.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Rexides posted:

Also the scariest part of Natsuo's perfect dream world is not that she is a "perfect little sister", but that she views a complete lack of agency as something positive.

I am reading it more as 'why can't I be happy like that' because at current she's really not one to deal positively with a lack of agency I think.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Teppu Ch. 28

In which it is revealed that Ringi's dad is an rear end in a top hat.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

DaveWoo posted:

Teppu Ch. 28

In which it is revealed that Ringi's dad is an rear end in a top hat.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Yuzuki's status: still creepy

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Yay more Teppu!

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
There's still a limit to how much an arm can bend right? She could theoretically finish it in Ronda Rousey fashion still?

Meeks Sisu
Mar 30, 2011

Is this performance art!?

Wild Horses posted:

There's still a limit to how much an arm can bend right? She could theoretically finish it in Ronda Rousey fashion still?

Regardless of what the manga says, being double jointed does not make you immune to armbars (or any other joint lock really). It'll be harder to finish but it's definitely still possible to break her arm.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Meeks Sisu posted:

Regardless of what the manga says, being double jointed does not make you immune to armbars (or any other joint lock really). It'll be harder to finish but it's definitely still possible to break her arm.

Yeah, she probably relaxed it for some reason or she just slipped at the apex of the lock. Just keep going for them arms girl!

Thundersword238
Oct 15, 2012

Jeez, the art in this was really good. The arm hold and the stuff leading up to it in particular was particularly detailed.

Also, it is soooo refreshing to see a fighting manga with an all female cast that doesn't just resort to gross fanservice.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Thundersword238 posted:

Jeez, the art in this was really good. The arm hold and the stuff leading up to it in particular was particularly detailed.

Also, it is soooo refreshing to see a fighting manga with an all female cast that doesn't just resort to gross fanservice.

Even the maid uniform extra chapter is more hilarity than fanservice.

Kaja Rainbow fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 3, 2014

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008
Yeah, the art conveyed the leg twist all the way to the arm bar as one smooth rotational motion. I'd love to see it animated with some budget behind it (and hopefully without the fanservice strings such a budget might entail).

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
Mixed martial arts and tall girls are my fan service. :pervert:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Thundersword238 posted:

The girls are still really good looking too, especially when they go all murderface on someone or Natsuo when she's fantasizing about crushing people. :allears:

Problem? What'd you mean I have a problem? I'm totally normal! :v:

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Seriously, yuzuki is adorable, which really only reinforces how creepy and weird it is that she's so excited despite how her fight is going.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The best fanservice in this manga was the chapter cover with the fancy furcoat dress thing. It was so pretty:swoon:

I think it's because this is a fighting manga that I liked it so much. Was unexpected.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Meeks Sisu posted:

Well, yeah, she's not immune but it is certainly harder (as in you need to be able to pull on the joint a longer distance) to make her submit. In any case, Yuzuko is just gonna use some creepo smiling eyebrow power in the next issue.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Just started reading this today and I'm already caught up.
First off: Mario is creepy as poo poo.

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.

KillerQueen posted:

First off: Everyone is creepy as poo poo.

ftfy.

Is the current theory still that Yuzuki can't feel pain? I don't think there could be another reason for her creepiness.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

This fight has never gonna end. Has there been another fight that managed to last more than two chapters?

Still rooting for Pac Du-Na. Plus it feels thematically appopriate to have some completely new character crush Natsuo's weird dream to beat Eyebrows in a tournament.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

All while she is asleep, no less.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Punc posted:

ftfy.

Is the current theory still that Yuzuki can't feel pain? I don't think there could be another reason for her creepiness.

Maybe some kind of deep rooted masochism? It would have to be from when she first joined that gym though which would be when she was like 7 or something, which makes it really weird.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

BigLeafyTree posted:

Maybe some kind of deep rooted masochism? It would have to be from when she first joined that gym though which would be when she was like 7 or something, which makes it really weird.

Honestly not unheard of. I've heard of similar things stemming from a similarly young age (not masochism specifically, but stuff that people would think weird to develop at such an age). After all, masochism isn't necessarily sexual--it just means you like pain (though it's usually just specific forms of pain rather than all pain in general).

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Or maybe she just really enjoys the thrill of fighting? poo poo I enjoy grappling and rolling on the mat and its not because I am a masochist or a sadist for that matter.

No need to sexualize things.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

ElMaligno posted:

Or maybe she just really enjoys the thrill of fighting? poo poo I enjoy grappling and rolling on the mat and its not because I am a masochist or a sadist for that matter.

Masochism isn't always sexual as I said. But I don't have any real investment in this theory--I'm actually neutral on any and all theories about what's up with Yuzuki. And honestly there isn't any need for a real 'diagnosis' in this case; the whole point seems to be to poke at a common protagonist archetype and point out how weird it would seem to many people.

EDIT: If Yuzuki could be said to have anything, it's 'shounen sport protagonist syndrome'.

Kaja Rainbow fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Sep 3, 2014

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

ElMaligno posted:

The issue is not just that she's super-excited about being in a fight where she may be losing, tons of people love a challenge. The issue is what kind of excitement it is. This isn't really the 'aww yeah, let's get it on' kind of excitement, it's straight-up Mr. Rogers happiness.

That's what makes everyone say the girl ain't right.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

ElMaligno posted:

The main issue is that she doesn't have normal reactions to negative events. Even if you don't mind the pain, getting randomly beaten up by somebody you just met should prompt you to go "wtf". (Because IIRC Ringi tried to beat the poo poo outta her upon first impression)
Similarly, if your opponent turns out to be unexpectedly strong, some confusion and/or nervousness is warranted. Or at least shounen-style excitement, not just the same run of the mill :) face.
Also, normal people sometimes get frustrated at semi-constant failure and feel elated or relieved (or just plain tired) upon success, but during the flashback I got the impression she didn't feel any of that either.

Maybe things look more normal from her POV, but from the outside it's creepy.

Come to think of it, we've never seen her internal narration, have we. I bet that's on purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Yuzuko's thing is that she's Ippo (or any other sports protagonist, for the most part) and she's so consumed by THE LOVE OF THE GAME/FIGHT that she doesn't care about getting the poo poo kicked out of her. This is really creepy if you don't have her internal narration (or just a third-person narrator) talking about that!

(Ringi is Takamura by this reckoning I guess.)

• Locked thread