Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

EightFlyingCars posted:

i had the weirdest compulsion to check out joining the forces today. does canada want a reasonably fit homemaker with a college degree or are they just gonna tell me to gently caress off?

They will definitely not tell you to gently caress off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

My Spirit Otter posted:

how willing to move is your family? depending on your trade, officers can get posted frequently

i don't think my partner would want to move. i was thinking of joining as a reservist anyway, and i was under the impression that they're more likely to stay posted locally because of the part-time nature of their work. is that correct? would that even be worthwhile? it sounds like i'd be a moron to not apply as an officer.

i've talked with friends about the possibility of seeing a recruiter and they were pretty cold on the idea. one of them has a brother who got his hearing hosed up during gun drills because of improper hearing protection and getting compensated for that was a nightmare. but the same thing happened to my mom while she was in the US army, so i kinda feel like the risk of injury kinda comes with the territory of joining up. though i'd much rather not go deaf or get otherwise crippled if i can help it! what's the safety culture like in the forces these days?

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

You're technically not "posted" anywhere as a reservist, especially after you're trade-qualified. Places have positions that are designated for reservists and you apply for those jobs. If they select you you're offered a contract for an amount of time.

A lot of reservists are "Class A" most of the time meaning they work only evenings and weekends and occasionally you might get weeks or months of employment elsewhere.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
i dont understand why theyre trying to hire more officers, theres like a 2:1 officer ncm ratio at my base and we're desperate for ncms.

i can basically do whatever i want because they cant risk losing ncms

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
I should throw an application in again for ROTP, just for the hell of it. Ain't got nothing to lose. Take my 40 year old broken rear end, my King.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

flakeloaf posted:

They will definitely not tell you to gently caress off
They might tell you to go home and apply on the website if you’re at a sufficiently lazy recruitment office (though that was ~10 years ago).

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

I'd make a good atis tech but I'm no more willing to do a plq now at 46 than they were to send me on one at... yeah it's been a long time. I like the job I have now.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Yeah same, I own my place in an awesome city and I am sure as poo poo not trading that for a barracks in St. Jean

Mantle
May 15, 2004

In Nov 23, I interviewed to VOT to a PRes officer position that I applied for in May 22. In the interview, I was told to expect a decision in 4-6 weeks.

I think I might hear back in 4-6 months.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

probably not until the new fiscal year at least

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

My certificate of service and service pin finally caught up with me, not quite six and a half years since I released. I gather the Departure with Dignity component of the release process was incomplete for thousands of people; I feel for the clerks who've had to reach out to folks years after the fact and try to conclude paperwork that is years past due and in all likelihood whose memories of their time in the CF are not as fond as mine. I'd imagine they catch no small amount of hell for something that is not their fault, but they get to be the face of an institutional failing and it is on them that the poo poo lands.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Unlike the Veteran Service Cards :smuggo:

Actually they might be sub-par now...

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

i still havent gotten my certificate of service from '12

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Unlike the Veteran Service Cards :smuggo:

Hell yeah, thanks again man :hfive:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

that vet service card gets me some OK discounts so it's worth it. 30% at Under Armor, 10% at lululemon/MEC

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

I just found out that MEC isn't a coop anymore and now I'm destroyed.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Hizawk posted:

I just found out that MEC isn't a coop anymore and now I'm destroyed.

Yeah they got bought out in 2021, I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
MEC broke in like 2011 when they changed the board election structure so that they had a board recommended slate and qualification requirements to run. It had already moved towards the big box outdoor retail store model but really started sprinting then. Regular members couldn't get on the board, so the democratic part of the structure broke because without that there really isn't a voice. There was no way to affect the ideology of the board, effectively, and that's the only power membership theoretically had in that type of coop structure if the board doesn't otherwise engage.

They moved into the mass biking and skiing market for some reason, even though those have both always been heavily serviced by locally owned stores. There was lots more leisure types of stuff. They started manufacturing or contracting branded products that already had alternate stuff available. The total number of products hugely increased, mostly in mainstream stuff, instead of having a few good products for otherwise available things and larger selection in specialty stuff.

They expanded in ways that maybe make sense if you're trying to maximize profit but not if you're just trying to be a sustainable organization. Even with a pandemic, it's insane that a co-op that old should have had so much debt on the books that it had apparently zero value when sold. They had heavily leveraged in the years coming up to COVID to 'grow the business'. The whole point of structures like co-ops is that you can putter along happily doing the poo poo that actually helps the membership without having to do everything.

It's also completely insane that a co-op didn't have member meetings in the lead up to bankruptcy that the board presumably must have known was coming. They announced that it was sold at the same time they announced bankruptcy, which is crazy. That whole year they were also fighting staff unionization, which was loving garbage. Not in a 'don't unionize, we are on the verge of bankruptcy' way (which would still be terrible). They were trying to invalidate votes.

It feels like because it was a co-op the board didn't get held to having a fiduciary duty to anyone during the collapse. They acted like their duty was to the ongoing operations of the retail organization rather than to the membership.

T.C. fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Apr 3, 2024