Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Arquinsiel posted:

I've been tempted by the Bauda Norse Irish for years, but I never get around to actually pulling the trigger on them. Plus I have no idea if anyone at HATE plays DBA anyways :shrug:

May see you at Salute. I will be the one who looks like a goon.

Hackney, eh? That's just over the road from Salute, I'm taking the long march from Sussex. I reckon despite their being less overt differences between Napoleonic forces there's the potential for interesting games because of the variety in army composition and """special rules""". The ROI on that appears a bit higher than investing in new armies for tactical variety.

About the largest game I can put on, on my little 3x3' table is ~8-10 units per side, each of 3-4 bases - any more than that and it gets swamped - so Absolute Emperor, OHW Horse & Musket and DBN seem like sensible games to pursue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'm not in Hackney, it's just where nerds play games regularly with a convenient train to get there from my house. Excel is a slightly longer, but still convenient, train trip. The main problem will be getting off my rear end early enough to try meet people flying over for it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Turner's AWI campaign is live! Unlike on Kickstarter, you immediately get everything when you pledge here. And we need more pledges to unlock the Hessian stuff! (The infantry is like $13 away)

There's early bird pricing until sometime on Sunday so if you want a ton of printable models for a great price, take a look.

https://www.myminifactory.com/frontier/colonies-asunder-the-american-revolution-2483

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
Anyone got any good recommendations for Magnets for Flames of War Minis? Got some el cheapo magnets off amazon and they are freaking awful. as far as I can tell the official magnets are probably the cheapest... but anyone got any good recs?

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I really like TotalElement.com for best price, but their stock is in imperial sizes so that's something to look out for.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
Sorry, should have clarified - I'm in the UK.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I got my 5x1mm magnets from some random Chinese seller on eBay and they're perfect, so the quality might just be a random crapshoot

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Yesterday at Salute I saw a guy who had made a lovely Vietnam table and I really liked the South East Asian style colonial scenery. I managed to find some of them searching online but there are some shop houses which I can't seem to source. They're the type which would have been all over the Straits settlements.

Anyone have any good sources for these, especially in 6mm? There was a MDF kit maker from Australia who did some shop houses in exactly that style but they've gone out of business recently.

Pic for example

tomdidiot posted:

Sorry, should have clarified - I'm in the UK.

Spider Magnetics on eBay.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Third Edition of Bolt Action coming September.

Sounds like they're going to change a lot of a lot of the fiddly rules and change the army lists. I have a whole pile of books I have yet to ever play with, but anyone who does play Bolt Action got any opinions on this?

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Annoyingly they're keeping the templates which was something I hated from second edition.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I've been looking at Rommel and looking at my largely-unused TY stuff and wondering if I couldn't use it for GWGH stuff. The open points architecture feels like it makes it plausible. I feel like strategic and operational concerns in WW3 scenarios are kind of inevitably subject to the judgement of the author, too, so that sorta excuses me from needing to justify why, for instance, everyone isn't using three Carpet Bombing operations every turn...

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Comstar posted:

Third Edition of Bolt Action coming September.

Sounds like they're going to change a lot of a lot of the fiddly rules and change the army lists. I have a whole pile of books I have yet to ever play with, but anyone who does play Bolt Action got any opinions on this?

I'm hopeful about it! I just hope they don't drip-feed us too much, when it comes to vehicles for the different countries. Since if it's a bit of a bland opening line-up for the more minor nations, I'll probably stick to second edition until they flesh them out a bit. But yeah, otherwise I'm keen to see the rule changes

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I just hope they finally ditch the purely punitive special rules for some of the nations.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Ilor posted:

I just hope they finally ditch the purely punitive special rules for some of the nations.

YES.

Some of those special rules are just bad.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Ilor posted:

100% agreed. The pre-Case Blue Italian ones are godawful, for example. I hate that kind of mindset some developers have, where they seem to want to make some options unfun/harder and make games more unbalanced than necessary, seemingly just because. Hopefully they keep the lessons learnt from Case Blue

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Ilor posted:

And the historically-inaccurate ones, stop perpetuating the Ronson myth, Warlord! :argh:

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Z the IVth posted:

Spider Magnetics on eBay.

Just got them and am extremely impressed

Anyone got any tips for removing old magnets from plastic models? :p

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Major Isoor posted:

100% agreed. The pre-Case Blue Italian ones are godawful, for example. I hate that kind of mindset some developers have, where they seem to want to make some options unfun/harder and make games more unbalanced than necessary, seemingly just because. Hopefully they keep the lessons learnt from Case Blue

Also, some of the "national rules" don't scale. A free squad of riflemen has a lot more impact on a 500 point game than a 1000 point game.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

tomdidiot posted:

Just got them and am extremely impressed

Anyone got any tips for removing old magnets from plastic models? :p

Freeze the model for an hour or two. Makes the super glue bond brittle and you can snap it off.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Major Isoor posted:

Do they get point discounts for this?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Panzeh posted:

See, this is my intrinsic problem with points-based systems, and that's that so many game designers take the laziest approach possible to "balancing" things (lower quality troops == cheaper == more of them). That's not how asymmetric conflict actually works. Having a lovely squad LMG did not lead to Italians fielding more men, for instance. Balance is done so much better across multiple games (in a campaign setting) than as one-off scenarios, but that's not "tournament friendly," so as a result you end up with lovely rules that skew the forces on the table.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Ilor posted:

See, this is my intrinsic problem with points-based systems, and that's that so many game designers take the laziest approach possible to "balancing" things (lower quality troops == cheaper == more of them). That's not how asymmetric conflict actually works. Having a lovely squad LMG did not lead to Italians fielding more men, for instance. Balance is done so much better across multiple games (in a campaign setting) than as one-off scenarios, but that's not "tournament friendly," so as a result you end up with lovely rules that skew the forces on the table.

Yeah, but you gotta work out ways to like, give a lower quality force a chance in an individual game- it's not always through numbers, but, without a scenario designer behind the hood, things start getting a lot more nebulous, like Chain of Command's support list or whatever. You can just throw up your hands and shrug about it all, but i mean, it is what it is, when somebody's platoon goes up against somebody else's platoon, this is what the game is.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Ilor posted:

I do like the TFL approach where your core list is set in stone and points values are just used to see how much higher level support you get. But yeah there is a problem that the only way quality is balanced is quantity- I've always kinda thought about a system where the superior army has pre game disadvantages- like a Roman army will often be superior to a Gallic one, but that means the Romans have to attack into unfamiliar terrain to win

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I wonder if the answer is to incorporate situational advantages instead of numerical ones.

Basically copping TFL's system but gamifying to let the Italians buy things like extra rerolls, the first activation, a larger deployment zone, or even forcing a smaller one on their opponents.

Maybe the lower quality army can use points to buy objectives that only they can claim.

It makes balancing harder, but beats "where did all these Italians come from?"

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Panzeh posted:

Yeah, but you gotta work out ways to like, give a lower quality force a chance in an individual game- it's not always through numbers, but, without a scenario designer behind the hood, things start getting a lot more nebulous, like Chain of Command's support list or whatever. You can just throw up your hands and shrug about it all, but i mean, it is what it is, when somebody's platoon goes up against somebody else's platoon, this is what the game is.
Yes, and that's my point - I'm not a big fan of that particular game as designed, because the "balance" method is so ahistorical.

Go back to my post, my contention is that individual "points" systems encourage game designers to be lazy. There are loads of ways to balance forces that don't involve "just have more dudes," and I feel like good games are going to use some of those methods, and further that those methods often work better across multiple games than just a single game.
I am not throwing up my hands and shrugging, I am being the change I want to see. That's why I wrote the "Totensonntag" Pint-Sized Campaign for CoC the way I did.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

StashAugustine posted:

I do like the TFL approach where your core list is set in stone and points values are just used to see how much higher level support you get. But yeah there is a problem that the only way quality is balanced is quantity- I've always kinda thought about a system where the superior army has pre game disadvantages- like a Roman army will often be superior to a Gallic one, but that means the Romans have to attack into unfamiliar terrain to win

The game Deus Vult, about the Crusades, does something like this. You use your points to buy units or abstract "scouts." The scouts can be used to control terrain or do subterfuge. At the start of the game you deploy the "terrain-controlling" scouts to the board; in every section of the board where you have more scouts you get to put down terrain as you like. The "subterfuge" scouts draw cards that let you do things like set up an ambush, deploy last or attack first, etc. So you could, for example, have a small army with a lot of "scouts" that completely controls the tactical situation and terrain, or you could just blunder in with a big army and hope you can win through force.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I can see how there's a degree to which balance is ever at odds with history in this respect - usually, the side with fewer advantages just lost, and being doomed isn't that interesting unless you're actively playing the "we both play both sides and see who does better" type game. "Why do the italians always get the drop on the british" is just as ahistorical as "why do the italians get more dudes", after all, and historically, they couldn't really throw in more dudes or use them better, and had to be bailed out by the DAK.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Springfield Fatts posted:

Freeze the model for an hour or two. Makes the super glue bond brittle and you can snap it off.

They're sunk into a recess and I can't get under the magnet to snap hem off.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

spectralent posted:

I can see how there's a degree to which balance is ever at odds with history in this respect - usually, the side with fewer advantages just lost, and being doomed isn't that interesting unless you're actively playing the "we both play both sides and see who does better" type game. "Why do the italians always get the drop on the british" is just as ahistorical as "why do the italians get more dudes", after all, and historically, they couldn't really throw in more dudes or use them better, and had to be bailed out by the DAK.

Well if you go all in on it, lots of board wargames have victory conditions of "lose less badly than historically." If you're taking an understrength Italian unit into veteran British on defense, why not just say the Italian player "wins" as long as they don't actually lose ground

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

tomdidiot posted:

They're sunk into a recess and I can't get under the magnet to snap hem off.
Try using your new stronger magnets to pull them free.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Some sort of solution has to be found for individual, non-linked games, because that’s how the overwhelming majority of players interact with most games. Campaign play requires a commitment of multiple sessions that is beyond most people.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Cessna posted:

Also, some of the "national rules" don't scale. A free squad of riflemen has a lot more impact on a 500 point game than a 1000 point game.

Oh yeah, absolutely! IIRC one or two worked around this by essentially letting you take a free copy of your cheapest infantry squad, however many others are rather set in stone, unfortunately.

Panzeh posted:

Nah, it's all treated the same. So for example, Italy didn't get any kind of bonus or freebie, they simply received penalties that amounted to the game getting harder if they started losing more men than the opponents - which would allow opposing players to snowball into victory more easily... (I've been pretty lucky though, in my games as Italy - so I can't complain too much!) Case Blue finally gives alternatives that are actually positive though, which is nice.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

StashAugustine posted:

Well if you go all in on it, lots of board wargames have victory conditions of "lose less badly than historically." If you're taking an understrength Italian unit into veteran British on defense, why not just say the Italian player "wins" as long as they don't actually lose ground

I wonder how easy it would be to use asymmetrical objectives and/or support to provide balance. For example: say Player A brings a company of Shermans and Player B brings a company of King Tigers to a game. On paper, sure, the King Tigers are going to win every time, but if Player B has to completely wipe the board in order to win, and/or needs to accomplish their objectives within an extremely tight time limit (Fluffed as needing to justify the massive investment of resources into the attack), and Player A gets access to off-map artillery and air support to try and stay alive... that could make for a balanced and fun scenario.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

This is kind of how the space battleship wargame Billion Suns works - you bid for a "contract", a pool of VPs, and you spend VPs on your ships. You're aiming to accomplish your objective at a profit, and ideally a bigger one than your enemy.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah how is that from a game point of view? I hear the contract system and multi table aspect discussed a lot but no one says if the game itself is very engaging or fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I wonder how easy it would be to use asymmetrical objectives and/or support to provide balance. For example: say Player A brings a company of Shermans and Player B brings a company of King Tigers to a game. On paper, sure, the King Tigers are going to win every time, but if Player B has to completely wipe the board in order to win, and/or needs to accomplish their objectives within an extremely tight time limit (Fluffed as needing to justify the massive investment of resources into the attack), and Player A gets access to off-map artillery and air support to try and stay alive... that could make for a balanced and fun scenario.

LaSalle - a Napoleonics game - works like this. For example, if you have a French Imperial Guard army, you must win a "decisive victory." If you win by less of a margin - a "marginal victory" - you lose.