Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

Gaspy Conana posted:

Gong's Camembert Electrique is an album I feel shares some DNA with that era of Genesis. Namely the often-unpredictable song structures (while still being songs) + hyper-britishness. Some of Flying Teapot as well, though I'm not as into their jammier side which this trilogy of albums has lots of. "Radio Gnome Invisible" is a good litmus track for them I think.

You might also try Brian Eno's Here Come the Warm Jets or Taking Tiger Mountain by Strategy which also have silliness and adventurous composition. I think those two records are massively overlooked by Genesis fans. Phil even contributes drums. (Also Eno did a few sound treatments on Lamb.)

Not really Lamb-esque but:
Eno's Another Green World has one foot in ambient music but the track St. Elmo's Fire features killer guitar by Robert Fripp and if you're a prog nerd you owe it to yourself to listen to it. Probably my fave Fripp solo anywhere.

Not sure if Gong was what I was looking for but they are definitely fun! I listened to some Caembert Electrique and also the song Flying Teapot. The Brian Eno stuff is a good recommendation. I'm already familiar with those albums but I should listen again. St. Elmo's Fire is probably my favorite Fripper Ripper next to The Nightwatch.

Nightmare Cinema posted:

I'll assume you're well versed in both U.K. albums then.

Spock's Beard's Snow /// Marillion's Brave /// Saga's In Transit /// Twelfth Night's Live & Let Live hits a similar spot.

Also Zappa's late-70's period.
I'll check all these out. Only band I've listened to out of these are Marillion and I think only the album Fugazi. Which Zappa's should I listen to? I've heard a good bunch of his stuff growing up but its been a while since i've listened to him except for "We're Only In It For The Money" and "Freak Out"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

hexwren posted:

yeah, it's sold out here as well. rip

DC practically is already but there's an entire row already up for resale

I'm so loving tired of scalpers and everyone in the chain makes so much money there's just never a reason for anyone to fix the system

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

DC practically is already but there's an entire row already up for resale

I'm so loving tired of scalpers and everyone in the chain makes so much money there's just never a reason for anyone to fix the system

Yeah, the show near me was entirely sold out other than some super deluxe package stuff that started at like $250 (So figure probably $300+ with fees and taxes), and weren’t even in areas I’d want to sit which, nah, and some resale row that was in an okay section, but you don’t know exactly which seats you’re getting, just that if you get multiple they’ll be together, and those would still be like $200 each after Ticketmaster throws in their bullshit…

…So anyway, I’m going with my dad in September :v:. At least we know the venue has good sound and seats, we saw Al Di Meola there a few years back, so we said gently caress it.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I got 2 tickets for the Beat tour in Montreal, I've seen KC twice but the focus on the 80s albums will be nice. All the songs on Three Of A Perfect Pair are bangers (although Dig Me is pretty weird and annoying)

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I was able to get one of the last cheap tickets --- $100 after Ticketmaster's fees. The next best option was $450 for VIP seats.

I love Tony Levin but not that much.

It kind of feels like Ticketmaster did nothing to stop scalpers and resellers this time around. I've never seen a show at this venue sell out so quickly.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Fighting Elegy posted:

Which Zappa's should I listen to?

His 1973 - 79 run (Over-Nite Sensation thru Joe's Garage) should hit that spot.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Nightmare Cinema posted:

His 1973 - 79 run (Over-Nite Sensation thru Joe's Garage) should hit that spot.

I would heartiful recommend this run of albums, but just to mention to you Fighting Elegy that if you like jazz fusion you could also do a lot worse than check out the slightly earlier Hot Rats album.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Fighting Elegy posted:

I've been absolutely obsessed with The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway. It's my favorite Genesis album and its not even close. Are there other bands I should check out for that mid-70's Genesis kind of vibe?

I like how there is a slickness and touch of Jazz fusion in those albums. Folky/classical inspired stuff doesn't turn me off but I'm just way more into the sounds on TLLDoB, Trick of The Tale and Duke. I listen to Camel too and I guess they have some stuff like that in the late 70's.

This is maybe one taste removed (I haven't fully opened up to Lamb, though I'm nuts about stuff before it) but Manning's Margaret's Children and The Ragged Curtain (among others) have some great compositions that sometimes slide into smooth jazz and whenever the Sax comes in I absolutely lose it.

Also don't sleep on Camel's Rajaz.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I'd vouch for Hackett's "Voyage of the Acolyte" as basically being as close to a Genesis album as non-Genesis albums get, mostly because everyone but Gabriel played on the drat thing anyhow.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
if you're looking for neo prog that sounds like Genesis I'd skip Marillion for now and go with IQ

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

JAMOOOL posted:

if you're looking for neo prog that sounds like Genesis I'd skip Marillion for now and go with IQ

I don't think IQ sound like Genesis at all.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Would you consider post-Aqualung Jethro Tull to fit in there? Like... Thick as a Brick through maybe Minstrel at the very least I would say have very similar qualities.

God knows it's some of my favorite music ever written and Jethro Tull too often gets crunched in as just the Aqualung band and that may be one of Anderson's least interesting albums when you put them all together

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Would you consider post-Aqualung Jethro Tull to fit in there? Like... Thick as a Brick through maybe Minstrel at the very least I would say have very similar qualities.

God knows it's some of my favorite music ever written and Jethro Tull too often gets crunched in as just the Aqualung band and that may be one of Anderson's least interesting albums when you put them all together

Songs from the wood and heavy horses are the two I listen to the most, but I don’t think either sound like Genesis. Minstrel in the gallery I can see a little more

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Roine Stolt and Nad Sylvan have a project called Agents of Mercy that's usually my go-to recommendation for people looking for 21st century stuff inspired by old Genesis

The first one is well-written but by-the-numbers stuff like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hriN9T0KGwY

Their last album (2011) got a little bit more adventurous
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obQZf0kD6WA

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Apr 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

Nightmare Cinema posted:

I'll assume you're well versed in both U.K. albums then.

Spock's Beard's Snow /// Marillion's Brave /// Saga's In Transit /// Twelfth Night's Live & Let Live hits a similar spot.

Also Zappa's late-70's period.

I checked out Saga last night but I couldn't remember what album was recommended so I went with Silent Knight. That was really fun. It reminded me a lot of Sparks when all the synth arpeggios and high vocals, but it also had that dramatic yet funky AOR sound like Toto or Foreigner. I'm going to be checking out their other albums.