Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
I tried to start my 850 today and it quickly sputtered out and died, and my next couple attempts didn't get anywhere. It cranks but it seems like there's a fueling or air issue:
  • The exhaust during that start smelled like it was burning oil.
  • The last time I fired it up was to make space for a second car in my garage, one week ago. It seemed fine.
  • I crunched up the plastic under-body air guide a little on the parking wheel stop, though. I doubt that's the cause, but I did notice it left an oily spot on the wood so something's been dripping onto that, but not while parked.
  • One week prior was a 600 mile road trip, no notes but I vaguely recall suspecting I was burning oil when I really mashed on the throttle.
  • My fuel pump was replaced 5 years ago, due to a combination of old age and bad pump gas since I was out in the middle of nowhere. The mechanic seemed to know his stuff but also wanted to drill through my frame in order to zip tie something that has its own fasteners and I guess he couldn't figure those out. The pump is "probably" fine in my estimation but the guy did not inspire much confidence.
  • In the 12 years I've owned it, the PCV system seemingly hasn't needed maintenance. Maybe it's time to get that done? Could that actually keep me from starting the engine?

There's a lot of potential causes if google is to be believed, so I'm wondering if you've got any suggestions for quick things to check for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Sounds like the under-body air guide is actually the bottom tank of your intercooler. My dad did that on his 850 once.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
2001 v70 na auto fwd

Im 2 years and 20k(125k total) miles into my volvo journey and i really have to say this car is wonderful. Ive only HAD to replace vvt solenoid, brake light relay and a fuel pump relay.

Ive got a CEL for probably a cracked tube in the evap system, abs and traction control lights as well. The later two came on last winter when i was loving around and sliding in snow and ice, so might not even be that bad.

Zero rust on the car, im thinking of buying one of those VIDA LAPTOPS from the Facebook guy David Leach. My kids are about to turn 6 and 3, i think i can actually start wrenching again.

The only downside to this car i can see going forward is the plastic parts! In dash cupholder is now stuck open, the latch for my gas door broke, and the sunroof is starting to rattle a bit:mrwhite:

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

LloydDobler posted:

Sounds like the under-body air guide is actually the bottom tank of your intercooler. My dad did that on his 850 once.

Thankfully not, that part is flimsy black plastic and IIRC the intercooler is mounted both higher and more forward than that. I had it towed to the local volvo shop and they were able to start it immediately off the truck with no issues, because of course they could.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

always be closing posted:

2001 v70 na auto fwd

Im 2 years and 20k(125k total) miles into my volvo journey and i really have to say this car is wonderful. Ive only HAD to replace vvt solenoid, brake light relay and a fuel pump relay.

Ive got a CEL for probably a cracked tube in the evap system, abs and traction control lights as well. The later two came on last winter when i was loving around and sliding in snow and ice, so might not even be that bad.

Zero rust on the car, im thinking of buying one of those VIDA LAPTOPS from the Facebook guy David Leach. My kids are about to turn 6 and 3, i think i can actually start wrenching again.

The only downside to this car i can see going forward is the plastic parts! In dash cupholder is now stuck open, the latch for my gas door broke, and the sunroof is starting to rattle a bit:mrwhite:

Dave is a good dude, I know him personally. He was active in the Denver volvo club and has an extremely nice R.

There's no latch on the gas door, the hinge has a spring and the hooks that hold it snap off. $8 fix and 5 minutes of time. And there are ways of reinforcing it so it doesn't break again. Also you can just do this if you want a super cheap repair:

I fixed mine with a piece of wire, a little more complex but a little more elegant.

If the sunroof rattle is not the sunroof but the shade, you can fix it with new retainer/slider clips. You have to take the glass out and remove the clips from above but it makes it like new. Otherwise it's the plastic linkages for the glass mechanism itself that snap, and they're all riveted together and there's no fix other than to replace the entire mechanism, or just get the glass closed and tape or foam pad the rattling parts.

For dashboard parts, just hit junkyards or watch the volvo message board classifieds for partouts.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Thanks for the reply lloyd! What volvo message board? And where do i buy that little spring?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

There are several but I like swedespeed. Join up and cruise the classifieds. Also make a few posts in the correct subforum, ideally with pictures of your car because people with no/low post count are treated as scammers in the classifieds.

Which spring? The double sided one should still be attached to your car. If not, you can buy a new hinge that comes with it. The little wire hooks I made from stainless wire I got at ace hardware. Someone else suggests guitar string as it's super corrosion resistant to deal with sweaty guitarists. The screw with a flat piece of plastic or metal folded like that other guy did is a good quick and dirty solution on the car.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Any of you fools wanna buy an S60R?

My kid would probably kill me if I sold it but I really don’t drive it much anymore.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Lloyd, theres an 04 xc70 2.5t auto 193k on marketplace near me, apart from any obvious noises coming from the transfer case or rear, what should i look out for on a test drive? I usually do a slow figure8 and listen.

E-no codes supposedly.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Also find gravel and stop with 1 front wheel on it, then floor it. If the wheel spins furiously the AWD isn't working. If it slips but the car takes off, the AWD is working.

Other than that, can they document when the timing belt and PCV were last changed? If not, run away. Or just haggle knowing you'll have to do them yourself. And of course if the clock isn't set that means they disconnected the battery to try and get a CEL to go away. Drive the car for at least 30 minutes to try and get a CEL to appear.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Going to see a high mileage 2012 Volvo V50 D2 manual this Monday. 1 owner car that seems to have been well taken care of. Leather interior, bi-xenon and everything we care about. No rust or damage and full service history. D2 is a deliberate choice as the car will be a commuter car. My wife loves the look of the V50 so she's sold on it.

Hopefully it's as nice IRL as on the pictures and description. Only thing that is coming up should be the cam belt, but looking on YouTube it seems a breeze.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Nov 3, 2023

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
EGR valve, injectors, and turbo, in that order, seems to be what fails on high mileage D4162/D4162 engines, from what I've seen. The injectors can be stupidly hard to get out, I've read about people who had to replace the whole head because the injectors were fused in there by galvanic corrosion, soot and sadness.

Also, the "self-regenerating" particulate filter will need replacing sooner or later if its still original, no matter how much they tell you that it "self cleans" or whatever.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Nidhg00670000 posted:

EGR valve, injectors, and turbo, in that order, seems to be what fails on high mileage D4162/D4162 engines, from what I've seen. The injectors can be stupidly hard to get out, I've read about people who had to replace the whole head because the injectors were fused in there by galvanic corrosion, soot and sadness.

Also, the "self-regenerating" particulate filter will need replacing sooner or later if its still original, no matter how much they tell you that it "self cleans" or whatever.

I'll be sure to do my best to check those things. Are there are any good ways to check for injector-problems beside something super obvious like it running rough etc? Parts are generally pretty cheap but those are disgustingly expensive.

Edit:
Bought the car! Very well cared for and had to tell that it's done high mileage. Well maintained and front suspension parts done a year or so ago with the CV joints. I think it needs at least new motor mounts though, but that's no biggie not does it need doing now. Got winter tyres and summer tyres that are almost new (Goodyear and Michelin). With todays tyre prices that's almost $2k with fitting and everything. Only reason they were selling it was because they bought a caravan and it didn't have the power to tow it comfortably. They had planned to keep it for another 100k km otherwise. Surprisingly similar to the V70 we drove there in despite basically being a Ford Focus (IIRC). So far so good!

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 6, 2023

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

08 S80 3.2l w/ card key and push start:

Someone stole the key and the car. We got the car back after a short police chase, but the guy took off and presumably still has the key. The car is currently blocked between the garage and an RV. I want to further disable the vehicle until we can get the key reprogrammed. Can I yank something out of the fuze box so the car won't start?

Also, does anyone know where I should go and what I should be paying to reprogram the key I have and add a new key. Is it even possible to reprogram the car and keys so the stolen key won't work anymore?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Probably going to have to ask a dealer, not sure if each key is individually matched but I think they are, I would think it has to be possible to turn one key off. Even if they have to delete all of them and reprogram the ones you have left individually. Also I would try to get insurance to pay for it, factory keys here are around $150-$200 each, just because they charge for the software and interface hookup.

Any number of fuses or relays will keep the car from starting, Looks like the starter relay is in the engine bay fuse box. I'd pull that, the starter motor won't run without it unless they crawl under the hood and jumper it directly. There's also ECM (engine control module), Ignition coils, and injection system fuses up there, just take a photo so you know where they go and start pulling.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

WTFBEES posted:

Hey can me and my long roof join this club?

These look so naked without the roof rack.

Speaking of old wagons, does anyone want the PRV and four speed with electronic overdrive out of the '79 265 in my project thread? The PRV isn't exactly in running condition, but the transmission seems fine.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

2017 V60, but the same happened with my 2015 S60 (RIP). Alternator and battery test good but I still get the low battery warning on the console every time I open the car and Sensus boots or I turn the engine off. Is this a dealer fix or can I do something about it?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Anyone know a way to make the auto braking not detonate at random going over small crests in my neighborhood?

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Other than clean the LiDAR mechanism behind the rear view mirror? I’ve only had it trigger at parking lot gates and dumbbells who come to a complete stop in the middle of a right turn into a driveway .

Regarding the battery poster from earlier , if there’s an answer let me know . I’ve done the 24H lock, battery pulls , etc and it still goes to low battery a minute after stopping the engine

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The auto braking on reverse in my v60 is just brutal, the first couple times I thought I had somehow hit a concrete post that just materialized.

I have to shut it off when backing out of an angled spots that has a road behind it because it thinks I am going to reverse into the path of oncoming traffic

Still probably a good thing to prevent backing over kids in the grand scheme of things!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EE-04qMO-L4

Guess the underlying issue. Go on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Rings. That era 4 cyl is known for ring problems.

e. It was rings.