Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
I don't know anything about them other than what's on BMW's site, but their new BEV scoots look rad as hell:

CE 04:

$12,500, 2.6 seconds 0-60, 80 mi range, 75 mph

CE 02:

$7,600, with up to 59 mph (I think - there are two versions, at 15hp and 5hp, and though the US site doesn't specify in those terms, it says max torque is up to 40 lb-ft, which I'm guessing is the more powerful verison

There's also the Piaggio 1, which I think is only a 30 mph bike, but is probably mechanically similar to the 30 mph Vespa Elettrica in a cheaper body - just like the relationship between gas Vespas and Piaggios.

Richard Bong posted:

Well that’s unfortunate.

It seems like the electric scooters aren’t really there yet in the cost/performance category yet.

I’d like an electric, but my options seem to be NIU which apparently has the classic Chinese QC issues. Basically it might be bulletproof or it might be permanently broken, but you don’t know which one you’re getting.

Or

Vespa which is $8k for a 125cc equivalent.

I would not consider the Elettrica 70 equivalent to a 125cc, considering it's 45 mph top speed and 5 hp rating. Any decent unrestricted 2-stroke 50cc will match or best those numbers.

In any vehicle market, BEVs are behind ICE vehicles in performance value - that's just the state of the tech. Scooters, being one of the cheapest forms of motor vehicle, will be the last category to have ICE-competitive EVs. Consider the gas scooter market: there's almost no development. Genuine (and by extension, PGO) have been selling the Buddy largely unchanged for probably more than 15 years now - I think it's still got a carburetor! Honda all-but abandoned scooters in the US for years. They were down to selling only the Ruckus and the Metropolitan for a while, which have remained largely unchanged since the mid-00s - they still have drum brakes! There's just no profit margin in this category, and ebikes and stand-up scooters are eating away the bottom of the market, too, reducing it even further. It's gonna be a while before we get good EV scooters here, and when we do, it'll be because China, Taiwan, or Korea mandated it and we get the seconds.

Invalido posted:

I once saw a clip somewhere from Hong Kong maybe where they had a system for swappable scooter batteries, it looked neat

https://www.gogoro.com/ is one. Battery swapping is a neat idea, but probably requires a level of urban density we don't have a ton of in the US and a lot of those places would be served just as well by ebike/stand-up scooter share.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

2.6 seconds 0-60
That's nuts.

Gogoro is probably the one, I remember the green plugs in the many holes in the wall. I just think swappable E.V. batteries is neat since it negates the drawback of slow re-energizing compared to gas vehicles. I get why it's hard to do with cars but smaller E.V. packs can just be manhandled.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
I have been having non stop problems with my Elettrica so I can’t say I recommend them. Doesn’t help that it doesn’t seem like the Vespa Techs in my city have any idea how to work on them either.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

The BMW scoots look so awesome. The big one looks like the Dredd bike and the little one looks like a cyberpunk-y city enduro.

I guess I should have been a bit more specific.
I don’t mind paying a bit more for electric, but it’s like more than double the price for far worse performance. Like I’d pay $5-6k MSRP for 125-150cc performance and feel ok-ish.

I just didn’t expect the price to performance to be THAT bad.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
If someone gave me one of those massive BMW scooters, I’d ride it forever. I ain’t paying those prices unless I win the lottery, though.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Geekboy posted:

If someone gave me one of those massive BMW scooters, I’d ride it forever.

not if BMW has anything to say about it

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
I have some hope for the Yamaha E01 but it's still in pre-production phase so who knows

https://www.yamaha-motor.co.jp/mc/lineup/e01/

The whole South-East Asia already runs on Honda/Yamaha scooters and semi-automatics and people are used them being extremely reliable at rock-bottom prices. Something like this that doesn't look like some high concept early adopter bike could really push the margins down while keeping quality and a vast maintenance network.

Vesi fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Sep 14, 2023

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

The new Yamaha Neos is an electric scooter as well. They also seem to have started to make electric assist pedal bikes, including one with styling vaguely inspired by the BWS/Zuma.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yamaha have made their electric assist bicycle motors look like motorcycle engines, which is just :kiss:

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Would it be crazy for me to grab a 50cc Kymco Agility or something to make 4 mile trips from the suburbs into the city here and there? I'm looking for a used car but I'm waiting a few months until prices come down. Was wondering if a 50cc could help fill the gap and might be a fun ride in summer.

I've heard 125-150cc is just better in every way but by the time I finish motorcycle classes, complete the waiting requirements, and get geared out it'll be the dead of winter and I'd be spending halfway to a car anyway.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Depends on the roads you’ll be traveling.

A 50cc (that isn’t a two stroke) is going to max out at around 30 mph. That “around 30 mph” is going to vary depending on your weight, the way the wind is blowing, if there’s anything remotely uphill, etc.

If going 25 or so is viable for this trip, then by all means it can make sense. If the speed limit is 55 and it’s full of semis? Less of a good idea.

A 50cc is what I used as a gateway drug to bigger bikes and I absolutely loved it. That was living inside of Portland and sticking to streets that I knew I wouldn’t hold up too much, though. I mainly rode on bicycle boulevards where they try to discourage too many cars from driving on. Especially when I knew I had to climb a hill.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

50cc isn't ideal for suburbs unless it's to your corner store. 125 is the sweet spot for anything except for the highway but even those maxi scoots seem sketchy at that speed.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
Yeahhh 10” wheels at 50+mph are sketchy.

Seconding the 50cc will leave you feeling nervous on some roads. Especially when it’s a 35mph road.

You can theoretically be very near that speed, but the actual flow of traffic will be near 40mph and you’ll be struggling to hit 35 on a downhill with a tail wind.

Combine that with everything around you being a giant vehicle driven by suburbanites who aren’t paying attention and it gets dangerous.

Just get a 100+cc scooter. It’s not that much more expensive and you’ll get a lot more use out of it. You won’t have to route plan around its limits as much and you won’t be as stressed by the vehicles around you.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Thanks for the sanity check, I'll pass for now. I'll keep the 100-125 rec in mind when we move to the city.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Yea see if you can find a Honda metropolitan or the like just to have more flexibility.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

How good of a deal is this, if a deal at all?
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/d/shaw-island-genuine-brio-50i-fuel/7675060473.html

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

2Fast2Nutricious posted:

Peugeot kisbee is also an option. I've got one for commuting to work. It's slow as balls but so it every other 45kph scooter.

Just bought one a couple of weeks ago, incredible mileage. It's a great option for the Euro market, very nicely built.

I'm planning on testing https://www.motul.com/en/en/products/engine-clean-moto, does anyone have any prior experience with this sort of additives?

Helluva fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 21, 2023

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
Tried searching the thread for kid stuff, failed.

My kid is 12 and getting an electric scooter for Christmas. I expect they'll be traveling almost exclusively on 30mph residential roads (though people do blow through faster). Not sure of the scooter specs, haven't picked one out yet.

I am neurotic.

Someone else is handling the scooter (though I would love Goon recs on what's best for a kid taking short trips around town) but I'm choosing the helmet and jacket.

For the helmet, I don't want to say that money is no object, but when a friend got his motorcycle a while back I bought him the top of the line Shoei helmet with no regrets. That said, kids grow, so if I can keep it under about $800 that would be great, but I will obviously drop whatever bank is required for the best safety.

For jacket, I also have to look at what the kid will actually want to wear. Three-season weight, and not too hulking, would be good. Same pricing applies. My friend swears by Alpine Star for his jackets. I'd like to avoid road rash, I'm not as concerned with broken bones (they'll mend) but if there's a way to protect against spinal injuries, I'm here for it.

What should I consider when shopping, and are there any specific models that are recommended? Do I need to just calm the hell down?

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

an arai or shoei are definitely the top of the line, part of that is due to more shell sizes that give the rider an exact fit. it's a bit safer, comfortable, and it looks better to boot, but an ECE helmet is pretty drat safe no matter what, especially anything with the new 22.06 standard

if your kid's head is going to get bigger, you might be able solve a number of problems by buying a cheaper helmet line, like an icon, with fewer shell sizes and interchangeable liners. this only works if your kid is on the smaller end of a shell size. for example, if you get a medium, you're usually getting a large helmet shell with extra padding in the liner and cheeks. if the head grows larger, you can swap out the medium liner for a large and keep rockin and rollin.

that said, i have no idea how big a 12 year old's head is, so this may all be pointless if you have to buy a specialty size

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

and no, you're not being neurotic really. not sure if you're looking at one of those stand up electric scooters (which this thread isn't really for but who cares) or a conventional step through sit down type -- it doesn't matter. as the OP says, crashing at even below 30mph can gently caress you up.

i'd recommend a pair of gloves for your little one -- it's probably more important than a jacket. if they fall, they are going to reflexively brace for the fall with their hands. i have an alpinestars pair i picked up cheap from https://www.motorcyclegear.com/

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Hungry Squirrel posted:

Tried searching the thread for kid stuff, failed.

My kid is 12 and getting an electric scooter for Christmas. I expect they'll be traveling almost exclusively on 30mph residential roads (though people do blow through faster). Not sure of the scooter specs, haven't picked one out yet.

I am neurotic.

Someone else is handling the scooter (though I would love Goon recs on what's best for a kid taking short trips around town) but I'm choosing the helmet and jacket.

For the helmet, I don't want to say that money is no object, but when a friend got his motorcycle a while back I bought him the top of the line Shoei helmet with no regrets. That said, kids grow, so if I can keep it under about $800 that would be great, but I will obviously drop whatever bank is required for the best safety.

For jacket, I also have to look at what the kid will actually want to wear. Three-season weight, and not too hulking, would be good. Same pricing applies. My friend swears by Alpine Star for his jackets. I'd like to avoid road rash, I'm not as concerned with broken bones (they'll mend) but if there's a way to protect against spinal injuries, I'm here for it.

What should I consider when shopping, and are there any specific models that are recommended? Do I need to just calm the hell down?

Definitely add gloves with a scaphoid slider to the list: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-carbon-4-short-gloves-1

For those speeds an adventure jacket is probably going to be a good bet. Something like a revit tornado: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-tornado-3-jacket

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Get a back protector insert for the jacket too, if you get the Revit one linked above one of these or the non air version are your options: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-seesoft-air-back-protector-insert

I think they are all brand specific so if you get another brand look for the one that's designed for it. Good investment and the first thing I always get when I get a new jacket, I don't believe any of them come with it.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Icon is the only big name brand I know of that includes back protection in their jackets.

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
I am looking at the little step-on scooters, so I really appreciate that you're all helping out even with me being in the wrong thread. Thank you! Just knowing what general style to be looking at is a huge help. Now, to find a shop with an assortment in stock!

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

If you have trouble finding gear you/your kid like, Revzilla is pretty great about returns as you’re narrowing down sizes.

Helmets are definitely better bought in person, though. Other things you can guess based on sizing guides more easily.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Ohhhh ok, then I’d just do a helmet (maybe motocross variety?) or an adventure style like this Bell https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/bell-mx-9-adventure-mips-helmet

And gloves with scaphoid sliders.

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

Russian Bear posted:

Definitely add gloves with a scaphoid slider to the list: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-carbon-4-short-gloves-1

For those speeds an adventure jacket is probably going to be a good bet. Something like a revit tornado: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-tornado-3-jacket

The scaphoid slider is to prevent your wrist from being bent out of shape in case you land on your hands right? I need something like this because I'm just a little tall for my bike and I consider myself a little clumsy at times. I either land on my shoulders or my hands when I fall from my racing bicycle.

I honestly bought this one for daily shopping but then I saw this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE9gVbOeAos

I'm definitely getting a glove like that + knee pads and go try these at the local bike park. We have this big round asphalt place where amateur bikers meet and try to learn new moves.

Helluva fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 6, 2023

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Taking a Yamaha T-Max 500 racing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnG_yu9ya7k

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

The tilt sensor drama is maybe my favorite part of the whole video.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Helluva posted:

The scaphoid slider is to prevent your wrist from being bent out of shape in case you land on your hands right? I need something like this because I'm just a little tall for my bike and I consider myself a little clumsy at times. I either land on my shoulders or my hands when I fall from my racing bicycle.

I honestly bought this one for daily shopping but then I saw this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE9gVbOeAos

I'm definitely getting a glove like that + knee pads and go try these at the local bike park. We have this big round asphalt place where amateur bikers meet and try to learn new moves.

The slider is so that you hand keeps sliding on the ground rather than “catching” and then the momentum snapping it as you fly forward destroying the little bones between you radius and carpals.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Feb 21, 2024

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

if you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'

for me, the most impressive part of this whole thing was installing a big bore kit in 3 hours in someone's kitchen and having everything start up and run w/ no issues the next day on the track

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Jazzzzz posted:

if you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'

for me, the most impressive part of this whole thing was installing a big bore kit in 3 hours in someone's kitchen and having everything start up and run w/ no issues the next day on the track

Ah yes, the magic of cinema.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I just de-winterized the honda nsc50. It's been sitting outside (under a roof though) all winter with no further attention paid at all, though the gas tank was nearly full which is a plus in my limited experience. With the battery being neglected it wouldn't crank of course (about 11V at rest) but the PO had installed a conveniently located ctek connector so I just hooked up to that, charged it and aired up the tires to spec. Then it started right up and ran like I remember it - 55km/h top speed on flat ground by GPS, closer to 40 going up any real hill. The only thing that didn't work perfectly was the switch for high/low beam but a bit of WD40 equivalent seems to have sorted that out. I should probably do an oil change before spring proper but other than that I think this machine is ready for scooting season.

bobbert
Dec 8, 2002
Fish N Scooters
Fun Shoe
I dragged this thing around the bay area for 8 years? with it not running. I have had the engine for a long time and put a malossi cylinder and carb kit on it 20 years ago. But everything needed love, I had a bunch of issues I never fixed way back when. I got through all of them some highlights in the pics. Some highlights in the pics, I did the front end of this frame last year. Just got 50 miles on the new crank/seals/bearings should be ready for the SF Bay rally season. Spring time is almost here! The frame and engine have been off the road since ~2006.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

bobbert posted:

I dragged this thing around the bay area for 8 years? with it not running. I have had the engine for a long time and put a malossi cylinder and carb kit on it 20 years ago. But everything needed love, I had a bunch of issues I never fixed way back when. I got through all of them some highlights in the pics. Some highlights in the pics, I did the front end of this frame last year. Just got 50 miles on the new crank/seals/bearings should be ready for the SF Bay rally season. Spring time is almost here! The frame and engine have been off the road since ~2006.

Good poo poo op