Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Industry
May 7, 2013

DownItGoes posted:

:eyepop:

Are you sure you want to be saying this with a rap sheet and post history like yours?

Anyway,

Just got a call from the recruiter, reserve positions have been announced for Riflemen and Light Cav, so booked in for my assessment day in the next few weeks. Woot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dog-Broccoli Gambit
Jan 19, 2004

You are going to be torn apart in both of those jobs

Captain Industry
May 7, 2013

The Dog-Broccoli Gambit posted:

You are going to be torn apart in both of those jobs

Thanks for your input!

Captain Industry fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Mar 19, 2014

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Captain Industry posted:

Thanks for your input!

I don't think that comment was meant for you. I think it was aimed at old mate with anxiety and computer game addictions.

Not sure how reserve funding is looking nowadays (I got out last year), but I had heard tales of army reserve guys in Victoria only doing the bare minimum amount of reserve days required (20) because they didn't have enough money for them to parade every week.

Captain Industry
May 7, 2013

Dude McAwesome posted:

I don't think that comment was meant for you. I think it was aimed at old mate with anxiety and computer game addictions.

Not sure how reserve funding is looking nowadays (I got out last year), but I had heard tales of army reserve guys in Victoria only doing the bare minimum amount of reserve days required (20) because they didn't have enough money for them to parade every week.

I'm not doing it for the money (thats actually something stopping me from going full time, I can't afford to go full time), I've been working towards this for the past 2 years, so would be happy to parade for free (but knowing our govt, thats not an option).

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Captain Industry posted:

I'm not doing it for the money (thats actually something stopping me from going full time, I can't afford to go full time), I've been working towards this for the past 2 years, so would be happy to parade for free (but knowing our govt, thats not an option).

Just curious, but how have you been "working towards this" for two years? It's literally two separate interviews and then a fitness test. It's not like you're preparing to go to the moon.

Captain Industry
May 7, 2013

Dude McAwesome posted:

Just curious, but how have you been "working towards this" for two years? It's literally two separate interviews and then a fitness test. It's not like you're preparing to go to the moon.

Yeah I understand that, I just wanted to get into resonably good shape so that Kapooka isn't so hard.

I've always wanted to serve, but worked at Dominos at Uni and put on a fair amount of weight. I started working with alot of serving members about 2 years ago, who inspired me to finally really get off my rear end and do something about getting into the reserves, and I finally called DFR last year, been on a waiting list since!

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Dude McAwesome posted:

It's not like you're preparing to go to the moon.
I don't think the moon has mats for sit ups either.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Captain Industry posted:

Yeah I understand that, I just wanted to get into resonably good shape so that Kapooka isn't so hard.

Good stuff, best of luck with it.

PancakeTransmission posted:

:lol:

Captain Industry
May 7, 2013

PancakeTransmission posted:

Don't need mats on the moon, Regolith is like soft as puppies.

sos
Dec 9, 2004
If you get pissy at the comments and advice in this thread and you are considering going to a combat corps you are going to have a loving horrible 4 years.

Captain Industry
May 7, 2013

sos posted:

If you get pissy at the comments and advice in this thread and you are considering going to a combat corps you are going to have a loving horrible 4 years.

I think you're confusing me with the other guy.

Captain Industry fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 20, 2014

RasputinVarez
Nov 12, 2012
I irrationally support inferior conflict CPU's and refute any benchmarks presented to me because of "reasons".

If I'm giving PC advice, you should probably just ignore me.
AHAH!

Got an interview, 2nd of May was their nearest opening at the recruitment center in Melbourne.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

sos posted:

If you enlist in the military you're going to have a loving horrible 4 years.

The Dog-Broccoli Gambit
Jan 19, 2004

RasputinVarez posted:

AHAH!

Got an interview, 2nd of May was their nearest opening at the recruitment center in Melbourne.

Now watch, as you're pushed through to fill quota.

Captain Industry
May 7, 2013
I have my assessment day on Tuesday and had a practise interview with my careers advisor on the phone on Monday, This really seems like serious business. Apparently I answered well with motivations and stuff, But I need to be more specific about what training will encompass, what I will bring to the role, the terms of service, and the units I will be serving with if I am successful.

The lady on the phone also said "Dress to impress" and wear a suit. Problem is, my suit is way massive on me, and I don't really want to buy a new one before Tuesday, All of my mates in the reserves laughed when I said this, and said "theres no need to wear a suit."

Did you guys all wear suits or just business attire to your assessment days?

The Stygian
Feb 7, 2007

Exeggutor?
It's worth having a suit that fits. Failing that, you certainly want good business attire. It is a job interview, and is noticed. May not be critical, but you certainly don't want to look like a bag of poo poo - almost everyone else there will be in suits.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Wear board-shorts, thongs and a singlet.

Wear a suit you idiot. A lovely suit is better than no suit. At least try and look like you made an effort.

Captain Industry
May 7, 2013

Dude McAwesome posted:

Wear board-shorts, thongs and a singlet.

Wear a suit you idiot. A lovely suit is better than no suit. At least try and look like you made an effort.

So I ended up going and getting a suit, and passed everything, thanks for the advice.

Now onto the PFA and getting my bloodwork sorted!

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

After way too many years of government callcentre debt collecting work I've decided to hand grenade that poo poo and do something different. I've got my YOU session come May 7. :toot:

Getting in shape is going to be interesting, given that I haven't done anything that might be considered exercise since I did nightfill some 8 years ago. I consider myself fortunate that I'm not overweight so at least I won't be in danger of my kneecaps exploding if I get running for the beep test and beyond. With any luck, I'll be getting called a worthless oval office and a disgrace to the uniform in the not to distant future for not ironing my uniform properly, or failing to try hard enough, or possibly just for existing. Weirdly enough, I'm kind of looking forward to it.

That probably doesn't bode well for my psych assessment does it? :confused:

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Oi mate, thats a big dingo (the dingo is Ozma)

The Stygian
Feb 7, 2007

Exeggutor?
get out gleep

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Wanted to ask some questions to current ADF members, especially anyone who's gone through an army apprenticeship.

I've just gotten back to Perth after a few years travel and I'm in a slump. While oversea's I'd met a guy who was running quad-rotor drones up and down oil pipelines in Alaska and it sounded like a sci-fi job. I'd never even considered working with robots and autonomous drones as a career option but this guy really inspired me. I'm a highschool drop-out despite being in advanced classes during my schooling, I left in year 11 due to a variety of reasons and have since drifted around a bunch travelling and generally trying to find a purpose.

After returning home I've applied for and am currently 2 months into a bridging course that will take me into Mechatronic Engineering at Uni for the next 5 years. I love electronics, I love problem solving but I'm really struggling with the school model of teaching. It all seems so general and useless and I'm struggling to focus and invest the time, I've always been a hands on learner and was thinking an apprenticeship might be the answer.

I come from a hugely military family, both parents served (that's where they met) and my grandfather can reel off the names of all the family members we lost in various conflicts. I was in army cadets for 4 years and have become slightly obsessed with the Arma mil-sim games when I haven't been travelling. I feel I could do well in the army but was warned against joining by my father (who went on to explain how he'd only signed up because he'd been stood up and was drinking a ton) and he's made me a bit hesitant to make the plunge.

I'm looking at the Avionics tech apprenticeship right now and believe it would be a great way to get practical experience on advanced miltary grade hardware and will make me very employable in the avionics field after my six years.

http://www.defencejobs.gov.au/army/jobs/AvionicsTechnician/JobDetails/?entryTypeId=11

Has anyone been through, or is currently serving in a army apprenticeship? I'm turning 25 this year, is that to old to start?

Abongination fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 26, 2014

threeseven
Jan 7, 2001
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Abongination posted:

Wanted to ask some questions to current ADF members, especially anyone who's gone through an army apprenticeship.

I've just gotten back to Perth after a few years travel and I'm in a slump. While oversea's I'd met a guy who was running quad-rotor drones up and down oil pipelines in Alaska and it sounded like a sci-fi job. I'd never even considered working with robots and autonomous drones as a career option but this guy really inspired me. I'm a highschool drop-out despite being in advanced classes during my schooling, I left in year 11 due to a variety of reasons and have since drifted around a bunch travelling and generally trying to find a purpose.

After returning home I've applied for and am currently 2 months into a bridging course that will take me into Mechatronic Engineering at Uni for the next 5 years. I love electronics, I love problem solving but I'm really struggling with the school model of teaching. It all seems so general and useless and I'm struggling to focus and invest the time, I've always been a hands on learner and was thinking an apprenticeship might be the answer.

I come from a hugely military family, both parents served (that's where they met) and my grandfather can reel off the names of all the family members we lost in various conflicts. I was in army cadets for 4 years and have become slightly obsessed with the Arma mil-sim games when I haven't been travelling. I feel I could do well in the army but was warned against joining by my father (who went on to explain how he'd only signed up because he'd been stood up and was drinking a ton) and he's made me a bit hesitant to make the plunge.

I'm looking at the Avionics tech apprenticeship right now and believe it would be a great way to get practical experience on advanced miltary grade hardware and will make me very employable in the avionics field after my six years.

http://www.defencejobs.gov.au/army/jobs/AvionicsTechnician/JobDetails/?entryTypeId=11

Has anyone been through, or is currently serving in a army apprenticeship? I'm turning 25 this year, is that to old to start?

I'm currently doing a Fitter apprenticeship in the Army and I just turned 29. It's the best-paid apprenticeship you'll ever do. If your ROSO is only 6 years, you'll be 31 with whatever the gently caress Certificate IV in Aeroskills (Avionics) is. Not finishing Year 12 may not work in your favour, that's something you'll want to determine before you approach DFR.

I've found being a bit older in the Army is an advantage in a lot of ways, especially if you've got a bit of employment experience and are already used to getting yelled at by someone who doesn't know what's going on. Day to day life in the Australian Army can be loving absurd at times and if you can't laugh at it you'll hate it.

Forget Army Cadets, it's nothing like the Army and I'd advise you never mention it to anyone ever again. Likewise forget ARMA or any other war sim, it's nothing like anything you'll ever do unless they've brought out some DLC where you play table tennis in the brew room.

wait a minute honey
May 12, 2006

threeseven posted:

I'm currently doing a Fitter apprenticeship in the Army and I just turned 29. It's the best-paid apprenticeship you'll ever do. If your ROSO is only 6 years, you'll be 31 with whatever the gently caress Certificate IV in Aeroskills (Avionics) is. Not finishing Year 12 may not work in your favour, that's something you'll want to determine before you approach DFR.

I've found being a bit older in the Army is an advantage in a lot of ways, especially if you've got a bit of employment experience and are already used to getting yelled at by someone who doesn't know what's going on. Day to day life in the Australian Army can be loving absurd at times and if you can't laugh at it you'll hate it.

Forget Army Cadets, it's nothing like the Army and I'd advise you never mention it to anyone ever again. Likewise forget ARMA or any other war sim, it's nothing like anything you'll ever do unless they've brought out some DLC where you play table tennis in the brew room.

I was always wondering about Trade apprenticeships in the ADF and how they translate into the 'real world' I've never been in the ADF and in my trade (sparky) I haven't met anyone that did their Apprenticeship in the ADF. Does the ADF allow their Apprentices do work that would be considered 'domestic' - like house or commercial wiring/plumbing, or is it strictly defence related, and when they get a civilian job are they hosed for not knowing the basics of the civilian side?

Mordialloc
Apr 15, 2003

Knight of the Iron Cross

ricepaddydaddy posted:

I was always wondering about Trade apprenticeships in the ADF and how they translate into the 'real world' I've never been in the ADF and in my trade (sparky) I haven't met anyone that did their Apprenticeship in the ADF. Does the ADF allow their Apprentices do work that would be considered 'domestic' - like house or commercial wiring/plumbing, or is it strictly defence related, and when they get a civilian job are they hosed for not knowing the basics of the civilian side?

Defence trade Qualifications are Recognised Australia wide and they do get qualified to get licenced*

*The Electrical Trade is a special one. The Army has 2 electrical streams, one in the Combat Engineers (RAE) that get the Full A-Grade licence and one in RAEME that could get you an Electrical Fitter licence in QLD (not sure if you still can get that one) as well as a Refrigeration Mechanic Licence.

For the trades, during apprenticeship, you have to do a period of "on the job" training which entails a mixture of military and civilian job placements. The RAE Electricians have OJT that goes for three years (after ~1 year on campus training) where RAEME have 1 year OJT and a 26 month on campus course.

When I went through as an Electrical Fitter, I did some domestic, commercial and a touch of industrial electrical work during my 12 month OJT (2010).

When it comes to civilian work, there is a bit of catch-up in learning new systems but I put it down to the catch-up you get when you change employers and you have to learn the gear they use i.e. you have a good understanding of how it all works but the layout and documentation is different etc.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I wonder if PTE Situp mats got in?

The Stygian
Feb 7, 2007

Exeggutor?

Jaguars! posted:

I wonder if PTE Situp mats got in?

OD'd on St John's Wort and died, flaccid dick in hand, his father yelling about old soup.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
I'm in Korea and thinking about going to Australia for my mid tour. I don't know where else to ask if this is a Good Idea.

The Stygian
Feb 7, 2007

Exeggutor?

smertrioslol posted:

I'm in Korea and thinking about going to Australia for my mid tour. I don't know where else to ask if this is a Good Idea.

.. If you want to go to Australia then sure, it's a good idea?

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

smertrioslol posted:

yes you dumb idiot

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

smertrioslol posted:

What time of year?

If you want the experience of meeting a shitload of Australians without paying retardedly high Australian prices for everything you should just go to Thailand. And your chances of getting your dick wet will be way higher because they're all on holiday. But I guess that all depends on whether or not there's political instability in Thailand at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Dude McAwesome posted:

What time of year?

If you want the experience of meeting a shitload of Australians without paying retardedly high Australian prices for everything you should just go to Thailand. And your chances of getting your dick wet will be way higher because they're all on holiday. But I guess that all depends on whether or not there's political instability in Thailand at the time.

Sometime that's summer in the southern hemisphere. Thailand is probably going to be on fire forever, though.

• Locked thread