Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

Huh, I asked when I was visiting Iceland and they said there was effectively limitless heat based on current technology, I guess I was wrong.

Iceland is sitting directly on geothermal activity of a magnitude I don’t think anywhere else in the world really does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Huh, I asked when I was visiting Iceland and they said there was effectively limitless heat based on current technology, I guess I was wrong.

In Iceland, the most volcanically active place on earth, that might be basically true

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
in conclusion, geothermal energy is a land of contrasts

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Actually reference 50 in the wiki page I linked (I'm phone posting and can't copy the URL for some reason? help computer) is a pretty good read and says that even some of the Icelandic wells may be depleted in a timescale of 100-300 years. It also points to the complexity of the situation of whether it's running out of extractable water or usable heat - one lower temperature well is expected to run out of usable heat, not pressure, whereas another high-temp well is expected to run low on pressure (i.e. extractable water) and can maybe be saved by reinjection of water (or maybe a closed loop system), albeit at slightly reduced output because the temperature will also drop.

Ref 20 is also a good summary of the issue.

I'm learning a lot here myself

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Are there any cheap entry level headsets for VR that are worth trying? The Gear VR looks like something I'd be willing to try, but it's been discontinued and unsupported for a few years now.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
When the Sun explodes, will it take out the solar system?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Leave posted:

don't worry about that, it'll probably be fine. just get back to work

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Leave posted:

Our best guess is that the sun will become a red giant in about five billion years. It'll swallow Mercury and Venus, and maybe reach Earth, but I don't see anything that suggests it'll reach the other planets.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Leave posted:

Before it explodes it will already have eaten the inner rocky planets in its red giant phase. The gas giants may continue orbiting the white dwarf after it sheds its outer layers.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Question about Google Translate handling Chinese and Japanese:

Google Translate often makes mistakes with pronouns when translating from Japanese to English, but doesn't make these mistakes with Chinese. For example, say there's a paragraph about a doctor and a patient interacting, and they're both men.

The Google Translate Chinese-to-English translation would probably get the pronouns right:

quote:

The doctor put his left hand on the patient's shoulder and put the stethoscope in his right hand on his chest. "Take a deep breath," he told him. He took a deep breath.

But the Japanese-to-English translation might look something like:

quote:

The doctor put his left hand on the patient's shoulder and put the stethoscope in her right hand on his chest. "Take a deep breath," I told her. I took a deep breath.
So, an English speaker can tell right away from context clues that something is loving up the translation, because this scene as written wouldn't make sense in any language.

Are the errors in the Japanese translation more likely caused by a problem with Google Translate itself, or is there something specific to the Japanese language and the way it handles pronouns that makes it difficult for Google Translate to determine which one to use?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Rabbit Hill posted:

Are the errors in the Japanese translation more likely caused by a problem with Google Translate itself, or is there something specific to the Japanese language and the way it handles pronouns that makes it difficult for Google Translate to determine which one to use?
For your specific example, when that type of interaction is being described in Japanese, often names or pronouns aren't specified in every place they would be in English but you can tell who's doing/saying what based on the grammar of the sentence in various ways, like using passive when saying that someone said something to you, so machine translation will have to attempt to fill in who's doing what and it's not always entirely successful.

Google translate kind of sucks for Japanese and DeepL is a lot better but it will still get confused and fill in the wrong subjects for verbs a fair amount in complicated sense that indicate all the people involved, and obviously it will just insert something random in sentences where they aren't specified at all.

mystes fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 17, 2024

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024

ultrafilter posted:

Our best guess is that the sun will become a red giant in about five billion years. It'll swallow Mercury and Venus, and maybe reach Earth, but I don't see anything that suggests it'll reach the other planets.

I think Earth might be swallowed and Mars probably won't, the outer planets should probably just keep orbiting the sun indefinitely unless something else comes along to disrupt the solar system. I think the chances are small that that ever happens before everything gets too spread apart by the expansion of the universe to ever interact with each other again.

e: actually I looked it up and the estimate is 30 trillion years for stars to interact with each other, so it could happen before interactivity in the universe ends but long after habitability of the universe expires

Flournival Dixon fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 17, 2024

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I thought I remembered reading that some quirk of the process would cause the planets to orbit at a wider radius. Not in a way that would make them remotely habitable, mind you, but one that might cause the Earth to persist as an alternately frozen and burnt ball of rock, up until the sun goes nova anyway.

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I thought I remembered reading that some quirk of the process would cause the planets to orbit at a wider radius. Not in a way that would make them remotely habitable, mind you, but one that might cause the Earth to persist as an alternately frozen and burnt ball of rock, up until the sun goes nova anyway.

Yeah they think the largest part of the red giant phase of the sun will definitely encompass earth's current orbit but they're not sure whether or not Earth would be far enough out to escape being swallowed or not. Our sun isn't big enough to go supernova, it'll just collapse into a white dwarf when the red giant phase ends, and just spend billions of years cooling down to become a black dwarf, which will just sit there for however long protons stay stable, possibly like 10^30 years or maybe 10^200 years.

Flournival Dixon fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 17, 2024

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

The Andromeda galaxy is heading this way and due to merge with the milky way in 4.5 billion years, so lots of exciting things could happen.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Leave posted:

It won't explode. It's not massive enough to do that. It'll just balloon up as the others said and slowly eject its outer mass over time.

If it were to explode I guess it might obliterate earth if it was spared during the red giant phase and strip some atmosphere from the outer gas giants, but I'm not an astrophysicist and am just going from what little I remember from the astrophysics electives I took like 15 years ago.

Edit: refresh the page before replying dummy :doh:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Flournival Dixon posted:

Yeah they think the largest part of the red giant phase of the sun will definitely encompass earth's current orbit but they're not sure whether or not Earth would be far enough out to escape being swallowed or not. Our sun isn't big enough to go supernova, it'll just collapse into a white dwarf when the red giant phase ends, and just spend billions of years cooling down to become a black dwarf, which will just sit there for however long protons stay stable, possibly like 10^30 years or maybe 10^200 years.

Oh, my mistake. For some reason I had it in my head that all suns went nova if they didn't go supernova.

Flipperwaldt posted:

The Andromeda galaxy is heading this way and due to merge with the milky way in 4.5 billion years, so lots of exciting things could happen.

IIRC the estimated number of solar collisions involved in this merge is going to be, like, 10. Galaxies are not dense.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

obi_ant posted:

Are there any cheap entry level headsets for VR that are worth trying? The Gear VR looks like something I'd be willing to try, but it's been discontinued and unsupported for a few years now.

I don't know what the current state of the art is, but they'll probably know over at the VR megathread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3901021

It used to be that Facebook Meta stuff was the best bang for your buck, since they're all in on the metaverse horseshit and sell their quite good headsets below cost. I don't know if that's still the case, though.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Can metal companies figure out how other metal manufacturers mix their composite and the ratio of the mix of their metal using chemicals and microscopes?

like can you chemically find out if someones sword is Nickel/Steel/Copper/bonding minerals and the ratio of the mix?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
A mass spectrometer can tell you the ratios of elements in something. Someone experienced with metallurgy can then give you a very good guess as to the manufacturing process.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Does anyone else notice that people of a certain age, say 65+, when you're talking to them they kind of move their lips while you're the one talking? Like an unconscious mirroring. And it's not universal but maybe 15% of people that age seem to do it. Maybe it's not noticeable to most, idk. But the small / stupid question is, what is the etiology of this? Doesn't seem to happen to younger cohorts so it most be an age-related condition.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Are you just noticing orofacial dyskinesia because you're talking to them? Older people sometimes have a condition related to the control of their mouths, my grandpa had it before he died and it can sorta look like they're almost talking, or chewing.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Are you just noticing orofacial dyskinesia because you're talking to them? Older people sometimes have a condition related to the control of their mouths, my grandpa had it before he died and it can sorta look like they're almost talking, or chewing.

I hear what you're saying but I've noticed that when I stop talking, they stop mirroring. I'll take a pause for a few seconds and they'll stop, then I'll resume what I was saying and they'll start the lip movement again. Might still be the same thing but it's a weird correlation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Al-Saqr posted:

Can metal companies figure out how other metal manufacturers mix their composite and the ratio of the mix of their metal using chemicals and microscopes?

like can you chemically find out if someones sword is Nickel/Steel/Copper/bonding minerals and the ratio of the mix?

Chemistry is one of two inputs to material properties, the other being processing. So, you could use any old spectrometer to determine the chemical composition of the metal, but without knowing how it was melted, alloyed, cooled, heat treated, processed, and ultimately used, you can’t really know anything specific (that would be uniquely identifying) about the properties of the material.

E: for example all steels will melt around the same temperature, but microstructure can vary widely even for two alloys with similar chemistries.