Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro
I plowed through the main story barely doing any "sidequest" stuff (dressup, acron, world times). I remember doing Miracle Mask, Last Specter and Unwound Future like that too.

SereneCrimson posted:

Not so keen on the dressup, I might just wait until I unlock all the clothes and then do them all in one swoop.

Its possible that the first dressup can only be completed last due to the way the game gives you the items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
Just beat Azran Legacy.

I figured Sycamore was Descole within the first hour, so nothing of that was a surprise.
I was honestly shocked at the Descole and Layton are brothers with Bronev being the dad bit.

From Sycamore talking about losing his daughter, and that one NPC saying "Are you guys..." in reference to Emmy/Sycamore, I thought the last bit of that sentence would be 'related', and that Emmy was actually Sycamore's daughter that had been taken by Targent.

Emmy being a (not really) traitor took me by surprise, but not too bad. Since she isn't mentioned at all in the original trilogy, I knew they'd try and do something to get her out of the picture.

I'm honestly a tad disappointed. After all the games tend to do the "Crazy events explained by logical solutions" storylines, having an actual crazy advanced race with death robots seemed so far off from the series norm. But it was insane in the best way.

All that's left to do right now is solve the extra puzzle sets. They're always a nice little difficulty boost.
I'm going to take a good decent break from the game and not do the dailies.

Overall, I loved the game. Really nice end for the series (If it is the end.)
Ending with the opening to Curious Village was drat brilliant, put a gigantic smile on my face.
Looking forward to Layton vs. Wright.
Then, whenever I have that Layton itch, I have lots of daily puzzles to catch up on.

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

Story question: Last night I got to the end of Miracle Mask. This means the only pre-Azran Legacy Layton thing I haven't seen all of is Unwound Future, which I only got halfway through a couple years ago before losing the cart. Is there anything about Azran Legacy's story that assumes you've finished Unwound Future?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Soylent Heliotrope posted:

Story question: Last night I got to the end of Miracle Mask. This means the only pre-Azran Legacy Layton thing I haven't seen all of is Unwound Future, which I only got halfway through a couple years ago before losing the cart. Is there anything about Azran Legacy's story that assumes you've finished Unwound Future?

Like the other games in this trilogy, Azran Legacy continues to be a prequel. So no, it doesn't reference anything in Unwound Future.

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

Right, duh. I thought I read somewhere that Azran Legacy ties the two trilogies together somehow and I wasn't sure whether I made that up in my head or not. :downs:

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
You should, however, go back and finish Unwound Future at some point.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Well it does, in the sense that it ends with the beginning of Curious Village. But it doesn't actually even spoil anything about that game, let alone Unwound Future.

But yeah Unwound Future is still my favorite one of the series and is well worth finishing someday.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

Well it does, in the sense that it ends with the beginning of Curious Village. But it doesn't actually even spoil anything about that game, let alone Unwound Future.

But yeah Unwound Future is still my favorite one of the series and is well worth finishing someday.

Unwound Future is the best, but Azran Legacy is, in my opinion, in second place.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Layton vs Wright is the best Layton game :colbert:

Azran Legacy really suffers because of the branching paths in the middle. All of those side quests were lovely. Oh, we're going to interrupt the series-ending plot so you can figure out why the chief of this village of racist caricatures is grumpy. Turns out it's because he wants to hear a joke! Hurpa durpa

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hedrigall posted:

Oh sure, lord it over us. :mad:

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Hedrigall posted:

Azran Legacy really suffers because of the branching paths in the middle. All of those side quests were lovely. Oh, we're going to interrupt the series-ending plot so you can figure out why the chief of this village of racist caricatures is grumpy. Turns out it's because he wants to hear a joke! Hurpa durpa

It's good but I got a little sick of witch stuff in like case 3 (although the ending was exciting). Basically it has the typical Phoenix Wright thing where the middle is kind of dull and you almost quit playing (or do quit playing for months before you pick it up again).

Anyway, I can take or leave the branching. I don't know what reason you'd have to change the order around. Maybe my reaction was colored by the fact that Miracle Mask was, IMO, the worst one.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Anyway, I can take or leave the branching. I don't know what reason you'd have to change the order around. Maybe my reaction was colored by the fact that Miracle Mask was, IMO, the worst one.

Miracle Mask wasn't helped by the fact that Randall, the character you're supposed to care about and feel sorry for is a dreadful, pushy little poo poo of a teenage boy. Halfway through that endless dungeon section in the flashback, where he just keeps on whining and bullying Layton to go further and solve more puzzles I was seriously rooting for the teenage Hershel to just brain him with that bloody shovel and scarper back up to the surface.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
I found the circus stuff tedious too. But I got the plus version for like 2500 yen or something in a promotion so it wasn't awful.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

It's finally here NA!!! Tomorrow the wait is finally over for Layton vs. Wright.
Depending on what the future holds, this could be the final Professor Layton release... (Well, aside from Layton 7, if that is even still coming, assuming it has ANYTHING to do with Layton himself)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

SereneCrimson posted:

It's finally here NA!!! Tomorrow the wait is finally over for Layton vs. Wright.
Depending on what the future holds, this could be the final Professor Layton release... (Well, aside from Layton 7, if that is even still coming, assuming it has ANYTHING to do with Layton himself)

Nintendo games release on Friday though. Unless they're releasing this early?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You're a few days off - it comes out on the 29th.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

Oh.. :negative:
I had heard the 26th tossed around a bunch of times and never bothered to double check to see if it was correct.
There goes my plans of going out tomorrow to pick it up.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Holy poo poo is this the bad voice actor for Luke that the UK apparently can't stand? I can see why. Anyway I am like an hour in and have done one puzzle, can't wait until I get to some actual gameplay instead of cutscene cutscene cutscene.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

EngineerSean posted:

Holy poo poo is this the bad voice actor for Luke that the UK apparently can't stand?

Assuming it's the same one from the EU release (Maria Darling), which is what I heard, that's the good Luke that actually sounds British and not like an American faking a British accent.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The American Luke is the good one. Sorry to lay down truth bombs like this but it had to be done.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Somebody post a goddamn comparison.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

There is only one acceptable luke and he sounds like he just fell out of a Dickensian novel

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Hedrigall posted:

Somebody post a goddamn comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veTZBlHraDw

The American voice sounds so bloody fake, it's amusing they think it's a real British accent.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

American Luke is Lani Minella's best role, but that's really not saying much because Lani Minella is a loving awful voice actor. I don't mind British Luke. I'm already used to him from Eternal Diva.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The US voice sounds like he's suffered from some kind of major neurological damage.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Both Lukes sound fine and who cares I've been wanting this game foreeeeeeever.

edit: gently caress that dungeon in Miracle Mask, holy poo poo

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Waffleman_ posted:

American Luke is Lani Minella's best role, but that's really not saying much because Lani Minella is a loving awful voice actor.

She also plays the female Krogan in Mass Effect 3. Weird.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I'm kind of late to the party, but I have to ask -- in the Layton vs. Wright game, did anyone notice that Maya appears unmasked in a cutscene that occurs after her "death" and before the flaming pit is shown not to be real? That (among several other things) bothered the hell out of me.

Excellent soundtrack though.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.

YeahTubaMike posted:

I'm kind of late to the party, but I have to ask -- in the Layton vs. Wright game, did anyone notice that Maya appears unmasked in a cutscene that occurs after her "death" and before the flaming pit is shown not to be real? That (among several other things) bothered the hell out of me.

Excellent soundtrack though.

Actually I think I did notice that, but it's been a little while since I played it so I can't remember a lot about Layton vs. Phoenix.

I must say, while it was a thrill to see Layton exclaim "Objection!" and do Phoenix's legendary finger-pointing pose, the game overall fell kind of flat to me. I was hoping for a little more crossover (e.g. the puzzles toward the end of the final trial were a nice mixture of the two games) - it mostly felt more like the two game formats condensed down to fit into the space of a single game. Eh, don't get me wrong: it was still really enjoyable. I think I just expecting a little more.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Something the game should have done is been more Ace Attorney at the end.

The whole gem smuggling thing from the first case, and all the crystals being used for magic should not have been a coincidence, and there should have been more of a criminal element that actually needed to be solved here. That's where Phoenix could have shined.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

bubblelubble posted:

Actually I think I did notice that, but it's been a little while since I played it so I can't remember a lot about Layton vs. Phoenix.

I must say, while it was a thrill to see Layton exclaim "Objection!" and do Phoenix's legendary finger-pointing pose, the game overall fell kind of flat to me. I was hoping for a little more crossover (e.g. the puzzles toward the end of the final trial were a nice mixture of the two games) - it mostly felt more like the two game formats condensed down to fit into the space of a single game. Eh, don't get me wrong: it was still really enjoyable. I think I just expecting a little more.

I played it quite some time ago now but I remember thinking it was good because it replaced the investigation, generally the least intersting part of AA games, with something better.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

bubblelubble posted:

Yeah, it doesn't help when the chapters are segmented in such a clear way too. You're in Layton mode now, then you're in Wright, now back to Layton.

The whole game feels like a giant slog so far though. I'm just on chapter 4 and it's taken me about 2 months of on/off playing just to get this far because the story is just so.... meh.

None of the characters outside of the main cast are compelling in any way, it also doesn't help that all of the Wright sections so far have progressed through insane leaps of unintuitive logic. This is exacerbated by the whole schtick being "it's magic" so every logical leap you make to progress the plot is met with the "nah, that's dumb cos it's magic, all the testimonies have now just changed 100%". That was maybe interesting for the first case, but it's now happening again and it's really loving grating. There's only so much "magical ignorance" that i can take as part of a story when every single action i do i denounced by it.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Kin posted:

Yeah, it doesn't help when the chapters are segmented in such a clear way too. You're in Layton mode now, then you're in Wright, now back to Layton.

The whole game feels like a giant slog so far though. I'm just on chapter 4 and it's taken me about 2 months of on/off playing just to get this far because the story is just so.... meh.

None of the characters outside of the main cast are compelling in any way, it also doesn't help that all of the Wright sections so far have progressed through insane leaps of unintuitive logic. This is exacerbated by the whole schtick being "it's magic" so every logical leap you make to progress the plot is met with the "nah, that's dumb cos it's magic, all the testimonies have now just changed 100%". That was maybe interesting for the first case, but it's now happening again and it's really loving grating. There's only so much "magical ignorance" that i can take as part of a story when every single action i do i denounced by it.

Like every AA game the middle is the weakest part... it's worth finishing.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.

Like every AA game the middle is the weakest part... it's worth finishing.

Yeah, I agree. The post-game extras are delightful - I love that they all meet up for tea and things after the case is over, so so adorable. Plus all of the meta heh

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

In spite of the baffling lovely ending to Ace Attorney Vs. Layton; the game's made me really like Professor Layton as a character. Can I watch the Eternal Diva without spoiling the previous games?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The games are all self-contained, this includes Eternal Diva. There is a thread connecting the prequel trilogy, but it's not enough to be lost.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Night Blade posted:

In spite of the baffling lovely ending to Ace Attorney Vs. Layton; the game's made me really like Professor Layton as a character. Can I watch the Eternal Diva without spoiling the previous games?

If you thought that was baffling and lovely you probably won't like Layton games... they mostly have those kind of Scooby Doo plots at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

If you thought that was baffling and lovely you probably won't like Layton games... they mostly have those kind of Scooby Doo plots at the end.

I'm a reformed Scooby Doo fanatic, and I can say that Scooby Doo plots were a LOT less convoluted than that. For one, they usually involved holograms and costumes rather than straight up invisibility and the Illuminati.

Also, I never played a Professor Layton game, so for nearly the entire game I operated under the assumption that magic was real, and they really had somehow been sucked into another dimension. I was so disappointed when it turned out that Cat-Eve wasn't Bezella. It really seemed like they were foreshadowing that by having Eve be all black and making a point of mentioning how Eve always followed Espella everywhere she went (and to a much lesser extent, including her in the list of profiles during the cases). That would have been an actual cool twist. Ah well.

• Locked thread