Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Looks like snipping off the stem would wreck the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

They want the antenna/stem poking slightly out so it can get good signal. Not my idea of comfortable.

I like having a lot of data but I will have to draw the line at a hooch antenna for now.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

That's kind of silly. It says the battery only lasts 6 months, which pretty much defeats my purpose of getting a cup in the first place.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Part of the point of having a cup in the first place is so that you don't have to keep replacing stuff. I also like how their table comparing the advantages of their product vs tampons and pads is literally just the advantages of any cup over those.

That said, if this gets the word out about cups as a general thing to more people then I'm all for it.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
yeah, I backed it because I don't mind a long stem and I am so irregular that anything to help track would be great, but if the battery life isn't fixed by the end, I'm out.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Does chocolate actually make you feel better or are you just trying to eat my chocolate

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009
Does anyone know if there's a link between using a cup and getting UTIs? I had one a couple of months ago and I think I have one now (haven't had a chance to go to the doc yet). I seem to be getting them more frequently during this past year and I can't think of anything else that has changed.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ZoeDomingo posted:

Does anyone know if there's a link between using a cup and getting UTIs? I had one a couple of months ago and I think I have one now (haven't had a chance to go to the doc yet). I seem to be getting them more frequently during this past year and I can't think of anything else that has changed.

I haven't heard anything like that. I don't see how it could, the cup shouldn't touch your urethra at all. :confused: The cup shouldn't even rub against the outside opening of the urethra or anything as you put it in.

possibly NSFW diagram of the situation http://i.imgur.com/gnNPD.jpg The vagina hole is a fair distance from the urethra hole.

I suppose you might brush the opening with your fingers, maybe even a bit more than when using tampons since you have to root around a bit. But I assume you wash your hands before and after putting in a cup so that shouldn't matter. Unless, you somehow accidentally rub your butt hole and then rub your urethra hole with the same finger while trying to situate the cup, but that sounds really unlikely and would require a bad case of crazy fingers.

A cup that is a bit big can make you feel like you have to pee or make it a bit harder to pee as it presses against the side of the urethra or bladder internally, but even if it was badly squashing the side of your plumbing that wouldn't make it any easier for bacteria to get inside.

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Cake, is it a drug, or is it simply a delicious chocolatey piece of heaven?
Ugh. Can't get the cup open. Need to poop. Can't poop. Unless poop happens, no cup. Hate sanitary towels. Refuse to use tampons as have to change them every hour.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

*eats chocolate*

Sorry.

How do people deal with things when their cup won't open due to needing to poop and there basically not being enough room? A stiffer cup? (the one I normally use is quite squishy and comfortable, the stiffer one I can only manage a few hours in before I need time away from it...)

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

If you gotta poop, then poop. It's not good for you to hold that stuff in too long.

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009

Angela Christine posted:

A cup that is a bit big can make you feel like you have to pee or make it a bit harder to pee as it presses against the side of the urethra or bladder internally, but even if it was badly squashing the side of your plumbing that wouldn't make it any easier for bacteria to get inside.

After I asked the question, I did a little research into risk factors for recurring UTIs, and found a reference to the use of diaphragms, because they "push up against the urethra, making it harder to fully empty your bladder. The urine that is not fully emptied is more likely to grow bacteria." I'm wondering now if that has something to do with it. Maybe I should try to get a smaller cup?

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Julet Esqu posted:

If you gotta poop, then poop. It's not good for you to hold that stuff in too long.

can't, would if I could! just making the cup extra awkward to seat

spatula
Nov 6, 2004
Wow is that why I sometimes can't get my cup open? Never thought about it.

If you're backed up I heard you can uh... massage the poop out through the wall.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Kluliss posted:

How do people deal with things when their cup won't open due to needing to poop and there basically not being enough room? A stiffer cup? (the one I normally use is quite squishy and comfortable, the stiffer one I can only manage a few hours in before I need time away from it...)

one thing I do is start drinking looooots of extra water in the days leading up to my period because it kinda thins everything out so my flow is faster but the period is shorter; it also helps to soften stools a bit so constipation is a bit less likely. but yeah, it may sound weird, but massaging your lower abdomen through your belly or even using a finger and pressing up against the membrane separating your vagina and colon to mush things up a bit is hella helpful.

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Extra water sounds like a sensible thing to me! I'll see how that goes. (massaging the poop out sounds a bit odd. Hopefully it'll sort itself out soon >.<)

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Kluliss posted:

Extra water sounds like a sensible thing to me! I'll see how that goes. (massaging the poop out sounds a bit odd. Hopefully it'll sort itself out soon >.<)

not to be toooooo too crass, but if you happen to have a partner (or yourself, frankly) who can give you some lovin' that'll certainly loosen things up as well?
or I'm just shameless. which is likely.

anyone else here have long nails and occasionally stab the hell out of themselves? I've recently started growing out some gorgeous bitch claws but there have been some... complications? any tips?

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

the escape goat posted:

not to be toooooo too crass, but if you happen to have a partner (or yourself, frankly) who can give you some lovin' that'll certainly loosen things up as well?
or I'm just shameless. which is likely.

anyone else here have long nails and occasionally stab the hell out of themselves? I've recently started growing out some gorgeous bitch claws but there have been some... complications? any tips?

I am less enamoured of the idea than he is! (I am bleeding like the proverbial stuck pig, our bath is neither big nor sturdy enough for anything that would help. Need to get a new bath, clearly.)

Re: nails - gel nail varnish = for me I've found it makes them a whole lot blunter and suddenly I'm no longer Edwina Scissor Hands when inserting the cup.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Kluliss posted:

Are you a coffee drinker? If not, try having some coffee. For a lot of people, it stimulates them. Some studies suggest it's just a warm beverage in general, but almost everyone I know who has a cup of coffee mysteriously disappears for a few minutes before they are done. :)

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

the escape goat posted:

I'd always trim my middle + thumb nail down during that week for this reason, there's no way around it that I've ever found.

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Sarah posted:

Are you a coffee drinker? If not, try having some coffee. For a lot of people, it stimulates them. Some studies suggest it's just a warm beverage in general, but almost everyone I know who has a cup of coffee mysteriously disappears for a few minutes before they are done. :)

I've read about that, sadly it does not seem to be a reliable option for me. Telling myself I'm going to go for a run in 30 minutes actually has more of an effect (As long as I know I'm going to follow through on that one (please pardon the inadvertent pun))...

However, water seems to have helped a little, and cup is now seated comfortably, just in time for bed..

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Kluliss posted:

can't, would if I could! just making the cup extra awkward to seat

Oh, ok. I spent the weekend with a friend who refuses to poop anywhere but home base. It made our trip to the mall after a sort of iffy lunch somewhat... tense (but fortunately not eventful). I might have been projecting.

Neila Nuruodo
Jul 17, 2015
I have a question about cups... specifically, the reason I use tampons is because they reduce the severity of my cramps. As in, unmedicated and untreated, I barf. Not fun, very serious. My doc is sympathetic (perhaps because she's female) and I take birth control to prevent periods, but I'm forgetful as gently caress and end up with a period every now and then (and a bad one, typically) due to forgetting my pill. Can anyone with similar issues speak to relief of severe symptoms with the cup, or am I better with a tampon?

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Neila Nuruodo posted:

I have a question about cups... specifically, the reason I use tampons is because they reduce the severity of my cramps. As in, unmedicated and untreated, I barf. Not fun, very serious. My doc is sympathetic (perhaps because she's female) and I take birth control to prevent periods, but I'm forgetful as gently caress and end up with a period every now and then (and a bad one, typically) due to forgetting my pill. Can anyone with similar issues speak to relief of severe symptoms with the cup, or am I better with a tampon?

(I've also stopped my period with birth control now, but prior to that:) I had severe crazy pass-out cramps too and the cup did nothing to change that. I've heard of it helping others but it did nothing for me in that department.
But you should STILL get a cup because they're better than tampons in every way :dance:

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

If I had a Pikachu, it'd probably eat my stuff.
I got myself a moon cup yesterday and am going to give it a try tomorrow.

I don't have any problems with rummaging around down there in terms of being a prude but I am super squeamish. It's a pretty big psychological thing especially when concerning my vagina for some reason. Last time I had a smear test I threw up and passed out halfway through! And you only have to mention TSS for me to get light headed, haha.

What I am hoping is that by using the moon cup I'll be able to start breaking through that psychological faff and start becoming more comfortable with my own body and health. Also I don't want to be know as that person who passes out at my doctors! Also making an impact on bathroom waste and generally being more environmentally friendly really appeals to me.

Wish me luck!

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Serenity Dove posted:

Wish me luck!

Good luck! You do definitely get used to faffing around down there eventually, just take it slowly. At least there's no risk of TSS with these things for you to worry about.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Serenity Dove posted:

I got myself a moon cup yesterday and am going to give it a try tomorrow.

I don't have any problems with rummaging around down there in terms of being a prude but I am super squeamish. It's a pretty big psychological thing especially when concerning my vagina for some reason. Last time I had a smear test I threw up and passed out halfway through! And you only have to mention TSS for me to get light headed, haha.

What I am hoping is that by using the moon cup I'll be able to start breaking through that psychological faff and start becoming more comfortable with my own body and health. Also I don't want to be know as that person who passes out at my doctors! Also making an impact on bathroom waste and generally being more environmentally friendly really appeals to me.

Wish me luck!

Good luck!

Honestly I find it less gross than flossing now that I'm used to it. What's a bit of blood compared to a gross piece of my lunch I had to dig out 3 hours later? Nothing, that's what.

Kase moch
Jun 5, 2012

Gentlemen prefer blondes

Neila Nuruodo posted:

Oh man. The whole reason this thread convinced me to try cups was the constant talk about reduction of severity of cramps, and by god, it did not disappoint. I've had only so-so luck with taming the leaks, but the cramps have been conquered. As in, I used to need 4 to 5 extra-strength Tylenol to make the cramps bearable, and now I only need 1 to eliminate them entirely. Since I've had writhing, weeping cramps since age 14 or so (the last 19 years), I consider the cup a gift from god.

YMMV, and there is a severe learning curve with the cup and leaking, but it's worth a shot for the cramp reduction chances alone, if you have bad ones.

Edit: I've used tampons for 15 of those 19 years. For me, the cup's cramp reduction is miles ahead of tampons.

Kase moch fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Dec 10, 2015

Kase moch
Jun 5, 2012

Gentlemen prefer blondes
Does anyone know of a way to sell/donate a briefly used cup? I remember seeing that question asked in this thread, but I don't remember if it was answered. The first cup I bought ended up being too large for me, and I'd like it to go to a better home if possible. I only used it 3 cycles, and I've boiled it since then. It's a Meluna medium sport.

Avalinka
Nov 4, 2009

Kase moch posted:

Does anyone know of a way to sell/donate a briefly used cup? I remember seeing that question asked in this thread, but I don't remember if it was answered. The first cup I bought ended up being too large for me, and I'd like it to go to a better home if possible. I only used it 3 cycles, and I've boiled it since then. It's a Meluna medium sport.

I've seen people give them away on facebook groups for reusable menstrual products.

Bloody Mayhem
Jan 25, 2007

Victimology is all over the place!
I was going to restock on my reusable Softcups this afternoon, but apparently they've been discontinued. I usually order them on bepreparedperiod.com, but they no longer stock them. This makes me genuinely sad :(. I read a Facebook post from Instead Softcup saying that they no longer offer the reusable softcup on their online store, but that people can still get them at other retailers like CVS and Whole Foods. However, I'm Canadian, so no luck there.

I can still get the disposable ones, but it would cost significantly more. So I'm willing to try another brand. I tried the DivaCup before and hated it: too narrow, too stiff, leaking. I want something that looks like the softcup...

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Does Shopper's not have them? Or just the nonreusable kind?

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Bloody Mayhem posted:

I can still get the disposable ones, but it would cost significantly more. So I'm willing to try another brand. I tried the DivaCup before and hated it: too narrow, too stiff, leaking. I want something that looks like the softcup...

The only option for things the same shape as the softcup is a diaphragm, as in the oldschool birth control device. Ladies have used diaphragms in this way since their invention.

Pros- will last you for years, same shape that you like
Cons- hold less than a softcup, you have to get fitted for one and you'll have to call your doctor and find out if they even do that anymore

If you want to try a regular style menstrual cup again I believe Meluna has the softest least stiff material but there's several brands that are super soft as well, review sites for cups have charts about that kind of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Scudworth posted:

The only option for things the same shape as the softcup is a diaphragm, as in the oldschool birth control device. Ladies have used diaphragms in this way since their invention.

Pros- will last you for years, same shape that you like
Cons- hold less than a softcup, you have to get fitted for one and you'll have to call your doctor and find out if they even do that anymore

...you can use your diaphragm as a cup? that's a genius idea! the cup's great for certain days of my period but the diaphragm is so much easier to seat...

getting fitted for a diaphragm is a little annoying though - they go in and measure your foof (using fingers) and give you an estimate...unless diaphragms are something which is commonly used in your area, they might be a bit hit-and-miss with it so ask for sample ones in different sizes so you can test them out, here in the uk you have to go back a couple of weeks later to make sure you're putting it in right and that it's working out for you. I guess there's a major bonus with this and that's that you can have sex with the diaphragm a bit more cleanly on your period!

So I'm not double-posting I thought I'd just add to this one.

I just got the mirena coil fitted ('no worse than having a smear my arse'.) and have been told no cup until the 6 weeks checkup. I am sad, I've gone through 14 super plus pads (and two pairs of undies and a pair of sleeping shorts) because I'd forgotten how bad it was without a giant cup in my foof to catch everything.

Goon anecdotes of how good the mirena is for reducing extremely heavy periods and helping people get better from anaemia (caused at least partially by the super heavy periods) so I know that it was worth the pain this morning!

Kluliss fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jun 23, 2016

• Locked thread