Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
Client: We need a stage for our upcoming shoot.

Me: Okay, what dates and how big?

Client: We're not sure yet.

Me: Okay...do you have any specifics?

Client: It needs to be big. And we might need two. Near each other on the lot.

Me: Great. Copy.

***I call around***

Stage: Sure, what dates and how big?

Me: That is an excellent question. I guess as big as you have, any time in the next month?

Stage: Lol...sure let's check the calendar

Gotta love making commercials :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juniperjones
Apr 27, 2012
So is that legit? I would assume that person doesn't have a clue and the project would never happen.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

EnsGDT posted:

Client: We need a stage for our upcoming shoot.

Me: Okay, what dates and how big?

Client: We're not sure yet.

Me: Okay...do you have any specifics?

Client: It needs to be big. And we might need two. Near each other on the lot.

Me: Great. Copy.

***I call around***

Stage: Sure, what dates and how big?

Me: That is an excellent question. I guess as big as you have, any time in the next month?

Stage: Lol...sure let's check the calendar

Gotta love making commercials :)

I feel that all the time; except Im the client. Its when I have an idea that Im trying to get the creative cleared, but its not cleared yet, but it has to shoot in two weeks no matter what.

Sorry dude! I know it sucks

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

bows1 posted:

I feel that all the time; except Im the client. Its when I have an idea that Im trying to get the creative cleared, but its not cleared yet, but it has to shoot in two weeks no matter what.

Sorry dude! I know it sucks

Haha no kidding? I'm actually looking to make the move to agency myself...

The bad part of what I said earlier is that it was network promos...so the agency and the client are the same thing. The tech scout was a 10 minute phone call where everyone was like "we don't really know yet so bring everything."

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
How does it work with regards to press junkets?

So you finish filming a movie, then you have 5-8 months of post and finishing before the movie releases. If you're a steady actor you are going to be working on other movies during that time. Do they already have a month of press mapped out for you that you have to communicate to your newest movie? Or do they have to postpone filming of your new movie doing that time? Is there a standard on how all that works?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

bows1 posted:

How does it work with regards to press junkets?

So you finish filming a movie, then you have 5-8 months of post and finishing before the movie releases. If you're a steady actor you are going to be working on other movies during that time. Do they already have a month of press mapped out for you that you have to communicate to your newest movie? Or do they have to postpone filming of your new movie doing that time? Is there a standard on how all that works?

it depends on how much you've been paid and the size of the film. If you are being paid a lot for a studio film, they will have blocked off time for you to do press, or any further commitments you make will have to be subject to their press/publicity requirements. Smaller films have to hope that the actors are free when the press work is required - the usual language is something like "actor agrees to render reasonable publicity services subject to professional commitments". If you can, you try and make it subject to prior professional commitments so that if you ask them to do publicity they can't then take on another job that precludes it.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

When do theaters get sneak previews and how is that determined? A while back my local theater had a free screening of Me, Earl, and the Dying Girl pre-release, organized by Fox Searchlight, which I thought was unusual.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
When they need to test it for audiences

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Vegetable posted:

When do theaters get sneak previews and how is that determined? A while back my local theater had a free screening of Me, Earl, and the Dying Girl pre-release, organized by Fox Searchlight, which I thought was unusual.

It's in or around markets that the movie will open, and it's about a week or two out to get local word of mouth going.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

NeuroticErotica posted:

It's in or around markets that the movie will open, and it's about a week or two out to get local word of mouth going.
I'd think that too, but we've had sneak previews of stuff that received very poorly (such as Hot Tub Time Machine 2). Are they just operating under the principle that "no publicity is bad publicity"? p

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Vegetable posted:

I'd think that too, but we've had sneak previews of stuff that received very poorly (such as Hot Tub Time Machine 2). Are they just operating under the principle that "no publicity is bad publicity"? p

I used to work in these screenings - these are also the screenings where critics get to see the movie, so that's what determines the reception (Of course, large markets often see it before small markets and twitter is making that irrelevant). There's also the principle that often audiences love a movie that critics hate... like Jurassic World.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jurassic World was pretty well received by critics, actually.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

Timby posted:

Jurassic World was pretty well received by critics, actually.

Yet, not (remaining) Star Wars fans ironically.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

therattle posted:

it depends on how much you've been paid and the size of the film. If you are being paid a lot for a studio film, they will have blocked off time for you to do press, or any further commitments you make will have to be subject to their press/publicity requirements. Smaller films have to hope that the actors are free when the press work is required - the usual language is something like "actor agrees to render reasonable publicity services subject to professional commitments". If you can, you try and make it subject to prior professional commitments so that if you ask them to do publicity they can't then take on another job that precludes it.

Thanks Rattle

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Unfortunately he invented it.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Unfortunately he invented it.

Not in this case (and I can provide example agreements to prove it)!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Tiger House was released in the UK by Koch Media. Unfortunately, just prior to release they basically shut up shop. This meant that I don't think they spent a penny on the release. They didn't manage to get it listed anywhere, or a single press review or mention. This is penny wise and pound foolish, as they paid a chunk of money for the film and had they spent a bit on marketing hey would have received far more back in return (or so I believe). Very disappointing.

In the US the film is being released by Magnet/Magnolia. They sent us their press summary: pages and pages of mentions of the film in DVD/VOD release listings, dozens of online reviews, some press reviews, and they managed to get DVD units into Walmart and a bunch of other retailers. They also had it on the front page of iTunes store in the US. The impressive thing about that isn't how well they did their job, but that this is a small, run-of-the-mill acquisition for them - and this is the standard. I'm pretty sure that this is their basic release, and from where I am sitting they are doing a really great job. Although I worked in film sales I hadn't seen it from this perspective, what makes a distributor really good.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
I just wrapped on a low budget movie - I forgot how you smoke if you are a smoker. Fun times, trying to cram a four week shoot into three weeks (100 of 114 scenes shot), having a location where I seem to have met a paedo, having the director flip out because I was going to report the paedo and, apparently, no-one got the release form signed for the location (Still haven't as far as I know and I've made a report), twelve-hour days, thirteen-hour days, fourteen-hour days, day off canceled as we were behind, avoided all the sugar as much as possible, got corralled to be an extra two minutes before shooting, the worst driver in the world who should have been fired, oh, all of life was played out micro and macro. Last day working despite almost dying to an allergic reaction the night before.

Why do I enjoy this poo poo so much?

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

rejutka posted:

Why do I enjoy this poo poo so much?

I ask myself this question every time I have to wake up at 04:00 for a call time.

It's because having a desk job sucks.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

therattle posted:

Tiger House was released in the UK by Koch Media. Unfortunately, just prior to release they basically shut up shop. This meant that I don't think they spent a penny on the release. They didn't manage to get it listed anywhere, or a single press review or mention. This is penny wise and pound foolish, as they paid a chunk of money for the film and had they spent a bit on marketing hey would have received far more back in return (or so I believe). Very disappointing.

In the US the film is being released by Magnet/Magnolia. They sent us their press summary: pages and pages of mentions of the film in DVD/VOD release listings, dozens of online reviews, some press reviews, and they managed to get DVD units into Walmart and a bunch of other retailers. They also had it on the front page of iTunes store in the US. The impressive thing about that isn't how well they did their job, but that this is a small, run-of-the-mill acquisition for them - and this is the standard. I'm pretty sure that this is their basic release, and from where I am sitting they are doing a really great job. Although I worked in film sales I hadn't seen it from this perspective, what makes a distributor really good.

Cool! I'll try to find it sometime. So since the UK distro died, can someone else buy the rights somehow? I'm guessing that's not too uncommon, but have no idea what would happen then. Or will it be forgotten and any UK fans will have to buy the dvd on usa amazon or something? If it does ok in the US maybe you can point to those numbers as to what it might do in the UK?

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...

EnsGDT posted:

I ask myself this question every time I have to wake up at 04:00 for a call time.

It's because having a desk job sucks.

I don't work in the industry (yet) but I've been trying to get involved in some projects. I spent 13 hours of my Saturday as a PA on a music video- hauling furniture/props/sandbags and folding dusty fabrics. And at the end of the day I was part of creating something that didn't exist before. That's cool and it's the kind of satisfaction you don't get at most jobs.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

effectual posted:

Cool! I'll try to find it sometime. So since the UK distro died, can someone else buy the rights somehow? I'm guessing that's not too uncommon, but have no idea what would happen then. Or will it be forgotten and any UK fans will have to buy the dvd on usa amazon or something? If it does ok in the US maybe you can point to those numbers as to what it might do in the UK?

Alas the UK distributor hasn't gone into proper liquidation; it's just massively contracted but still alive, barely: so it still owns the rights.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Blisster posted:

I don't work in the industry (yet) but I've been trying to get involved in some projects. I spent 13 hours of my Saturday as a PA on a music video- hauling furniture/props/sandbags and folding dusty fabrics. And at the end of the day I was part of creating something that didn't exist before. That's cool and it's the kind of satisfaction you don't get at most jobs.

Awesome.

To be fair, I make commercials, but I know what you're saying. The creating something thing really comes in to play when you're making your own projects. I make commercials cause the paycheck is good. I make stuff with my friends because it's fun and awesome to do :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoLV_IkcIQk

• Locked thread