Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

VelociBacon posted:

If anyone posts the details of my seed unit online i'm going to loving freak out

Clocked about 30 hours in front of it and can say that my 40" seed unit met expectations. Blacks are better than I expected to see on a non-OLED and text is crisp. Colors are very...neutral. Seems really accurate but nothing jumps out. On my previous 34" I needed to use glasses if I was working on scripts or spreadsheets for long but it's not the case with this. The extra size and sharpness makes all the difference. Some review I read said the stand is too weak to hold it up but that wasn't the case with mine. The only flakey thing I have noticed is that the thunderbolt port is supposed to supply 140w and does most of the time but I have been testing a laptop which needs 130w and once in a while it complains the charger is not up to spec.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Picked up a 49" samsung oddessey G9 oled on sale, first oled and goddam it looks great.

:homebrew:

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Anyone know the current best settings for the AW3423DWF on the latest M3B106 firmware? I just reinstalled Windows so I mainly need to make sure I have the right settings there, HDR, etc.

I found a few reddit posts like these two:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/comments/1at753i/new_owner_of_alienware_aw3423dwf_whats_the_latest/
https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/comments/186capa/aw3423dwf_settings/

And this google doc https://docs.google.com/document/d/16Psds0gVIKHmSkFtyj5cOeSlXdmk73KwRx8GJ4F4SbE/edit

Or this HW Unboxed video after the first firmware that fixed the big HDR issue. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTvqGFBPIw4

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
What's a good replacement for a set of side-by-side 21" 1920x1080 monitors?

The above is my current work setup with mail/tasks/documentation on the left panel and code on the right. I figure I can replace them with a single (curved?) ultrawide display with split-screen windows, so I'm looking at 34" 3440x1440 monitors. This isn't specifically for gaming, and my current PC can probably only drive that at 60 Hz anyways.

The main motivation for updating is moving to a smaller desk where I have to squeeze into 36".

Edit: I've always used Dell monitors in the past, is Dell generally still high quality?

Edit edit: Are flat (non-curved) 34" ultrawides going away? Samsung has one but it's the only one I see. I'm not convinced that a curved monitor is good for coding. Also I'm trying to hide this in a recessed panel when not in use and so the smaller depth as possible (with a VESA mount) the better.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 12, 2024

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

KingKapalone posted:

Anyone know the current best settings for the AW3423DWF on the latest M3B106 firmware? I just reinstalled Windows so I mainly need to make sure I have the right settings there, HDR, etc.

I found a few reddit posts like these two:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/comments/1at753i/new_owner_of_alienware_aw3423dwf_whats_the_latest/
https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/comments/186capa/aw3423dwf_settings/
A

Ive been using the settings in the opening post of this Reddit thread. Creator mode is supposed the most color accurate. Although I used standard the most as its most vibrant. Creator still looks great. Pretty much keep much monitor on HDR1000 all the time now.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

ExcessBLarg! posted:

What's a good replacement for a set of side-by-side 21" 1920x1080 monitors?

The above is my current work setup with mail/tasks/documentation on the left panel and code on the right. I figure I can replace them with a single (curved?) ultrawide display with split-screen windows, so I'm looking at 34" 3440x1440 monitors. This isn't specifically for gaming, and my current PC can probably only drive that at 60 Hz anyways.

The main motivation for updating is moving to a smaller desk where I have to squeeze into 36".

Edit: I've always used Dell monitors in the past, is Dell generally still high quality?

Edit edit: Are flat (non-curved) 34" ultrawides going away? Samsung has one but it's the only one I see. I'm not convinced that a curved monitor is good for coding. Also I'm trying to hide this in a recessed panel when not in use and so the smaller depth as possible (with a VESA mount) the better.

Wouldn't completely write off any curved display. The amount of curve varies a lot. My previous monitor was a Dell P3424WEB. It's a 34" with a curve of 3800R which is practically flat.

It was great for work and I'd still use it if I didn't get a free upgrade. FWIW my desk is about that size as well.

https://3dinsider.com/monitor-curvature/

quote:

For example, the LG 34UC79G-B is just 1.6 inches in depth, according to the official specs. This puts it on the same level as regular flat monitors regarding thickness and translates to a relatively smaller footprint.

Since 3800R curved displays have a thinner chassis, they don’t stick out too much when mounted on the wall. This is great because curved ultrawide monitors have a large footprint overall, regardless of the curvature, so many people prefer a wall-mounted setup to save desk space.

Compared to monitors with a much sharper curve, 3800R curved ultrawide displays are more suitable for office work or productivity than gaming.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Ah cool, I'll look at the 3800R ones then.

Part of my concern was getting a unicorn now and building a new desk setup around it, being unable to replace it later if needed.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Green Gloves posted:

Ive been using the settings in the opening post of this Reddit thread. Creator mode is supposed the most color accurate. Although I used standard the most as its most vibrant. Creator still looks great. Pretty much keep much monitor on HDR1000 all the time now.

The preset mode option when I go into the OSD is disabled. I'll have to see how to make that interactive.

edit: Can't seem to figure it out. When I turn off HDR they're still unavailable.

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 13, 2024

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

RTINGS has just pushed a super interesting update to their monitor test suite: https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tests/changelogs/2-0

The main focus is on their improved response time/motion clarity testing. They have new response time measurement methodology, a new pursuit test pattern, and refresh rate compliance testing. Their deep dive into their new methodology and pursuit pattern is really interesting stuff. There's also some other improvements here, like a test for VRR gamma flicker.

Oshata Hyotesti
Sep 27, 2003
Ultros
What are the thoughts on the ASUS PG42UQ? It on sale right now. I'm wondering if it worth getting or waiting till something with newer tech comes along in this size. Since I would be using it for games and work I worry about longevity.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Oshata Hyotesti posted:

What are the thoughts on the ASUS PG42UQ? It on sale right now. I'm wondering if it worth getting or waiting till something with newer tech comes along in this size. Since I would be using it for games and work I worry about longevity.

For something of that size I would look at the LG 42 TVs. They are cheaper, but not by much at this point.

Oshata Hyotesti
Sep 27, 2003
Ultros

Anti-Hero posted:

For something of that size I would look at the LG 42 TVs. They are cheaper, but not by much at this point.

I would by but for my application I need something with display port. My GPU only has one HDMI out and it is going to my TV.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Oshata Hyotesti posted:

I would by but for my application I need something with display port. My GPU only has one HDMI out and it is going to my TV.

Ahh...fair enough. Are you married to OLED?

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

Anti-Hero posted:

That pretty much is a TV without all the smart crap. It even has a remote. Weird but fine refresh rate.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/Retroldtech/status/1781215915901591929

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

It's not a PVM if it isn't a CRT. loving nerds. :colbert:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

it would be okay if they pulled an analogue pocket and put a super dense LCD in there so they can simulate a CRT, but it's just some lame 640x480 panel.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA

Idk what this is, but it's colorful and I want one. :3:

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bEKOp1GLDs
RTINGS showing their new monitor refresh tests.

quote:

Our old monitor test bench doesn't paint the full picture of monitor response times. The tests missed important information such as inverse ghosting, red phosphor trailing, overshoot, and small pixel-level details that, in aggregate, become a much bigger nuisance. Our updated pursuit pattern validates user experiences we've long seen reported and confirms the data collected from our response time testing. Plus, while other patterns exist in the testing sphere, none are as detailed as ours.

Chapters:
0:00 Intro
1:17 Motion Blur Overview
3:16 The New Pursuit Pattern
4:47 Red Phosphor Trailing
5:39 The VA’s Worst Nightmare
7:15 Overshoot
11:11 Motion Clarity
11:54 Pursuit Photography
12:48 Conclusion

For more details about our testing process, check out our article:
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/learn/research/pursuit-photo

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I'm thinking about picking up either the msi meg or the Alienware dwf. Both are well rated in rtings. Anyone in here use them?

Tbh I think i've answered this myself in that the Dell accept paypal whilst Amazon don't...

Communist Bear fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Apr 22, 2024

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
tim joins in on the qd-oled vs w-oled discourse for 1440p monitors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVVmuxmPtG8

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I was about to turn in a broken 27" LG from work to the recycling depot and then I thought, I wonder how hard and expensive it would be to fix? Where could I even find a replacement panel? Would it be in any way economical time or money wise?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
The panel itself is damaged?. Forget it.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

codo27 posted:

I was about to turn in a broken 27" LG from work to the recycling depot and then I thought, I wonder how hard and expensive it would be to fix? Where could I even find a replacement panel? Would it be in any way economical time or money wise?

LRADIKAL is correct: if the panel itself is damaged, just trash it. A 27" work monitor is already such a commodity item already that you can get very nice ones for like $150-$200. Even if you can find a replacement (and you'd generally need a pretty exact one to ensure that everything matches up correctly), expect to pay $100+ for it. And finding them is often a PITA.

If you really wanted to as just a giggle project to see how stuff works, then ok, sure, go for it. But don't kid yourself that you're actually saving money once you consider the time you'd spend doing it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Replacement panels are sometimes found on ebay or ali express. You do need to find an exact replacement though. Sometimes displayspecifications.com has this information, or maybe you can find a panel model on the actual panel after opening up the monitor. Replacing the panel as a user is possible without compromising unit integrity in any way (as long as you don't gently caress up somehow), and it's usually doable with just a screwdriver. But you do have to be really careful because desktop monitor panels are large and very fragile. Though I agree that it's usually better to just replace the whole monitor. Despite how doable the process is, it can be very difficult to find the exact panel you need, and you don't stand to save much money since most of the cost of a monitor is in the panel anyway. Definitely look up some youtube tutorials before trying, at the very least.

Control board replacements are more worth it, if you're lucky enough to find replacement boards. They're usually much cheaper than the panels, so you stand to save a decent amount of money, and the process is generally less risky to do it yourself. It's still a hassle to source a replacement though.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 23, 2024

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

LRADIKAL posted:

The panel itself is damaged?. Forget it.

Yeah. A monitor or tv with a damaged panel has no value. If you by chance need parts from it to repair the same model with a good panel (psu, scaler board) then fair enough, but otherwise it's not worth your time and money

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Google is failing to give me an answer, but me and a friend got on a discussion about curved monitors and were left wondering why the curvature is measured the way it is - eg: "1000r" = a curve equal to a circle with a radius of 1000mm, as opposed to using a degree measurement. (I'll admit I'm a bit dumb when it comes to this sort of math/geometry, so I'm more assuming there's probably a reason they do that and my friend is missing something.)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Because what people generally want to know is the "tightness" of the curve, e.g. how much curve you expect to see in any given square inch of panel, since that's what affects the amount of image distortion you can expect to see. The degree of curve in isolation doesn't give you that information, but the radius does. On a 1000R monitor, the tightness of the curve will always be the same regardless of the monitor's dimensions, while a "45-degree curve" can vary in tightness (and thus image distortion) a lot depending on its size.

I guess you could do degrees per inch of circumference or whatever, but radius is is probably easier to grasp. It also has the bonus of telling people how far they should sit to be at the center of the circle.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 24, 2024

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Oxyclean posted:

Google is failing to give me an answer, but me and a friend got on a discussion about curved monitors and were left wondering why the curvature is measured the way it is - eg: "1000r" = a curve equal to a circle with a radius of 1000mm, as opposed to using a degree measurement. (I'll admit I'm a bit dumb when it comes to this sort of math/geometry, so I'm more assuming there's probably a reason they do that and my friend is missing something.)

If you had a ring/hoop of 2 metres in a diameter, that curve on the outside is the same as the screen's curve. (1000R).
If the ring is larger, the curve will be less severe.

Practical example: here's a random hula hoop on Amazon.

41" diameter. That's 1041 mm. Divide by 2 for the radius. If you had a "521R" curved monitor, it would have a curve that would match the outside of that hula hoop. You'd need a 79" hoop to match the "1000R" curve.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Apr 24, 2024

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Nolgthorn posted:

This works perfectly. Downloaded superdisplay and yea it operates without any lag whatsoever. Might have even been able to get away with a 12 inch tablet in the space as opposed to the 11 but this is essentially what I wanted.

Things are still going great with my Lenovo Tab P11 Plus, I mean it's working fine. Something I wish I researched more before buying my first tablet is that you can't flash this with anything, even today. It's just not popular enough a machine for people to spend time making one.

So I installed a ui skin and that seems to be better.

But more or less I'm disappointed that I can't really use this for anything other than as a monitor because the software running on it is so horrible as to render the tablet essentially unusable for anything else. Especially with the unavoidable giant bar that runs down the full left hand side of the screen that takes up at least 5% of the width where if you ever accidentally touch over there the whole thing locks up and lags for a minute while it loads all of the requisite lenovo adware in order to display a drawer full of awesome games I can buy.

Nolgthorn fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Apr 24, 2024

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

I have a $1,750 tech budget to spend and am looking to add more monitors to my desk. I currently have 2x 27" 1440p monitors plus my macbook pro (so three screens). I used to work for a trading firm as a developer/sysadmin and I miss the 4x 1920x1200 life.

I'm trying to decide between an obnoxiously large ultrawide or 2x 4x displays. Either way I plan to move my 2x 27" monitors above for 2x2 or 2 over 1 ultrawide. I'm a developer and still on the infrastructure side so the more real-estate and window-arranging options the better. However in my personal life I am also into photography (Lightroom), video editing (4k, Premiere Pro), and audio stuff (Ableton Live). Lastly, also gaming on a Windows machine. Total computers that will use the monitors at different times: work macbook pro m2 max, personal macbook pro m1 max, windows with (for now) a 2070 super.

I'm thinking the 4ks would allow me to edit and view 4k content at actual 4k resolution (though I guess my macbook pro display lets me do this) but I've never had an ultrawide and it seems like it would be great. Any advice? I do love the colors on the macbook pro displays if that helps - but as far as I am aware I'd get that with any HDR display?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

Erwin posted:

I have a $1,750 tech budget to spend and am looking to add more monitors to my desk. I currently have 2x 27" 1440p monitors plus my macbook pro (so three screens). I used to work for a trading firm as a developer/sysadmin and I miss the 4x 1920x1200 life.

I'm trying to decide between an obnoxiously large ultrawide or 2x 4x displays. Either way I plan to move my 2x 27" monitors above for 2x2 or 2 over 1 ultrawide. I'm a developer and still on the infrastructure side so the more real-estate and window-arranging options the better. However in my personal life I am also into photography (Lightroom), video editing (4k, Premiere Pro), and audio stuff (Ableton Live). Lastly, also gaming on a Windows machine. Total computers that will use the monitors at different times: work macbook pro m2 max, personal macbook pro m1 max, windows with (for now) a 2070 super.

I'm thinking the 4ks would allow me to edit and view 4k content at actual 4k resolution (though I guess my macbook pro display lets me do this) but I've never had an ultrawide and it seems like it would be great. Any advice? I do love the colors on the macbook pro displays if that helps - but as far as I am aware I'd get that with any HDR display?

I'm biased against multiple monitors just based on personal preference but for an ultrawide suggestion this is the best display I have ever used when it comes to actual work with some gaming on the side. Might need to stretch the budget a little or find a cash back deal from Amex or something.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-ultrasharp-40-curved-thunderbolt-hub-monitor-u4025qw/apd/210-bmdp/monitors-monitor-accessories