Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Wanderer posted:

Ennis's version gets the poo poo beat out of him whenever he's up against somebody who's even close to his level. That's probably a more important detail than people realize.

yeah MAX Punisher very likely has some form of brain damage (probably more than one), which explains a lot really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
He's an old, big ox of a dude who's been shot, stabbed, burned, beat up, and generally hosed up over decades of fighting. You guys are really expecting him to take on judo masters without getting hurt?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

site posted:

He's an old, big ox of a dude who's been shot, stabbed, burned, beat up, and generally hosed up over decades of fighting. You guys are really expecting him to take on judo masters without getting hurt?

Well, there is that part in "Welcome Back, Frank."

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

TheJoker138 posted:

I read through all the early Punisher stuff in high school, and while I fully support you doing this, just beware that a lot of it is a slog of unmemorable or flat out bad stories. Like sure, every once in a while there's a highlight like Frank becoming black for two issues to team up with Luke Cage, but there's a ton of boring generic mobster stuff in between that stuff.

I read the complete 1980s Punisher run (+War Journal) a couple of years ago and this post is pretty accurate. The first 24-30 issues are good stuff, although sometimes it seems like the DEA may have been story consultants.

By which i mean the writing is some hilariously ham-fisted war on drugs propaganda.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
One of my favorite pre-Ennis Punisher stories (although I'm pretty sure it's not "objectively good" like the Ennis Max stuff) is the story where Frank goes to Baltimore (Balmer) and deals with two corrupt cops who are having trouble with rival gangs hopped up on designer PCP that makes you a superhero for a day. It features Honey Boo Boo's mom as a drug kingpin and a three-way smackdown between the Mummy, the Werewolf, and the Terminator with Frank as the Terminator. It's more "memorable" than "good", but one of the high spots in my opinion.

Relatively restrained as far as ham-fisted War on Drugs propaganda goes too.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Interesting. I'm wa watching the Dolph Lundgren opus Men-of-war and I believe that Garth Ennis got his portrayal of Barracuda from tiny lister's performance as an m60 wielding mercenary. I mean there is even a scene where he is burning down Hut's and threatening to massacre little children.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Armyman25 posted:

Interesting. I'm wa watching the Dolph Lundgren opus Men-of-war and I believe that Garth Ennis got his portrayal of Barracuda from tiny lister's performance as an m60 wielding mercenary. I mean there is even a scene where he is burning down Hut's and threatening to massacre little children.

Should've based it on his performance in the seminal classic No Holds Barred.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Sorry to necro, but this is the first new information I've heard about the "Frank" comic: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/03/15/garth-ennis-new-punisher-comic-wont-feature-the-punisher/

Evidently it'll just be called "The Platoon."

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Sorry to necro, but this is the first new information I've heard about the "Frank" comic: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/03/15/garth-ennis-new-punisher-comic-wont-feature-the-punisher/

Uggggh Goran Parlov again. Did Darrick Robertson gently caress his sister or something what the hell..

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Goran Parlov is fuckin great

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Uggggh Goran Parlov again.
lol look at this fool

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Goran Parlov is fuckin great

No

Dude has all the talent of an editorial cartoonist and a Loebian upper torso fetish

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

If you're trying to convince us he's bad maybe link stuff that's not dope

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

If you're trying to convince us he's bad maybe link stuff that's not dope

No accounting for poor taste

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

At a minimum, don't use a two-minute standalone sketch as one of your prime examples.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Only thing wrong with the second one is the coloring, which is presumably not Parlov's fault.

Dude can do scary, he can do funny, he can do sad, he can do awe-inspiring. He even proved on Starlight that he's one of the best heirs to Moebius that we've got right now. I've yet to see him do bad.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Yes let's all pretend those pictures are on the same level as this one.

All of Parlov's work looks like a 2 minute sketch. That's exactly the problem.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'd love it if editorial cartoonists were this good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

That article if over a year old. Doesn't really qualify as "new information" does it?

• Locked thread