Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

The talk in my area is that the new hotness it the just released Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R. It's supposed to make the RS-3 v2 & Dunlop Star Spec's seem slow, but I don't have any personal experience with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams

The Locator posted:

The talk in my area is that the new hotness it the just released Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R. It's supposed to make the RS-3 v2 & Dunlop Star Spec's seem slow, but I don't have any personal experience with them.

The guy who pointed 1000 was on the new Bridgestones, he said they were probably the tire to beat. Sharper than the Toyo and closer in grip to a slick.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm confused, didn't Bridgestone already have a tire called the RE71?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Human Grand Prix posted:

I'm confused, didn't Bridgestone already have a tire called the RE71?

They had an RE71, now they have an RE71r, because, as everyone knows, an 'r' makes everything better! Of course they are treadwear rating of 200, because magic!

Edit: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+RE-71R

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

The Locator posted:

They had an RE71, now they have an RE71r, because, as everyone knows, an 'r' makes everything better! Of course they are treadwear rating of 200, because magic!

When the change happened, didn't one of the tire companies say "hey just kidding guys, our 140 tire was really a 200, we just marked it down for marketing"?
Dunlop?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

nm posted:

When the change happened, didn't one of the tire companies say "hey just kidding guys, our 140 tire was really a 200, we just marked it down for marketing"?
Dunlop?

I think Hankook was the first to yield with their RS3 and the rest of the street tire manufacturers followed suit shortly thereafter.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

The Locator posted:

Interesting, though it doesn't look like it's going to matter to me as the RE71R doesn't seem to be available in 225/45/15.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

TrueChaos posted:

Interesting, though it doesn't look like it's going to matter to me as the RE71R doesn't seem to be available in 225/45/15.
Who is even doing 225/45/15 now? Toyo, Hankook, and BFG?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

nm posted:

Dunlop?

Pretty much, yeah. The whole thing is dumb anyway since there's no real standard for how treadwear ratings are calculated, and people on both ends want numbers as extreme as possible. Racers want sticky tires with artificially inflated ratings, cheap people want tires as hard as concrete with a huge treadwear rating.

It doesn't matter where SCCA sets the bar for is / is not a slick, the manufacturers will keep on relabeling as needed.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Sadi posted:

Who is even doing 225/45/15 now? Toyo, Hankook, and BFG?

For street tires that's about it. You can get most slicks without issue.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Is the RT615k any good? I've always been curious, and I've heard mixed things.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

TrueChaos posted:

Same boat tire rack doesn't list them in 195/50/15. But if you go to Bridgestone's Japanese site they've got that size listed, so I may inquire with my tire guy once my current ones are toast.

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

1500quidporsche posted:

Same boat tire rack doesn't list them in 195/50/15. But if you go to Bridgestone's Japanese site they've got that size listed, so I may inquire with my tire guy once my current ones are toast.

Get the 205/50/15?

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Chriskory posted:

Get the 205/50/15?

Won't fit on a scirocco without changing the offset a radical amount (already stuck at 0 camber right now to avoid rubbing on 195s) and really don't feel like buying another set of rims for the second year in a row.

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

1500quidporsche posted:

Won't fit on a scirocco without changing the offset a radical amount (already stuck at 0 camber right now to avoid rubbing on 195s) and really don't feel like buying another set of rims for the second year in a row.

Oh, I don't think you'd have much luck with those tires and 0 camber anyway.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Chriskory posted:

Oh, I don't think you'd have much luck with those tires and 0 camber anyway.

Yeah. I mean I think the camber thing is down to my lovely coilovers and this little band of rubber sticking out on RE11As getting caught on the threading of said coilovers. I've got new suspension on the way that I'm hoping I can get at least 2 degrees of camber back but there's no way in hell 205s are getting on there without doing something radical, and trying to sort through the handling setup of the car isn't high on my priority list right now.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

The Locator posted:

Edit: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+RE-71R

R stands for ~~race car~~

Beach Bum posted:

I think Hankook was the first to yield with their RS3 and the rest of the street tire manufacturers followed suit shortly thereafter.

Yea, RS3s went from 140 to 200.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

The funny thing about the change in the treadwear rating rules is that everyone knew that this would happen, because nobody was going to give all their sales to Dunlop Star Specs, which already had a 200 rating when the only cost involved for them was changing that meaningless number stamped into the side of the tires.

Yet, the SCCA went ahead with the change anyway, because... reasons.? All of the competitive tires were magically 200 treadwear in less than half a season after the rule was implemented.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

The Locator posted:

The funny thing about the change in the treadwear rating rules is that everyone knew that this would happen, because nobody was going to give all their sales to Dunlop Star Specs, which already had a 200 rating when the only cost involved for them was changing that meaningless number stamped into the side of the tires.

Yet, the SCCA went ahead with the change anyway, because... reasons.? All of the competitive tires were magically 200 treadwear in less than half a season after the rule was implemented.

It's good stuff, imo.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

The Locator posted:

It's made for some great forum flame wars at least!

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
The whole 200tw thing is hilarious because in canada Toyo is a series sponsor and just pushed through 140tw legality anyway.

I really want to drop back to an ST class though. A friend and I are thinking of getting a fully prepped ST in a year or two. STS CRX or Civic Si is our current plan. Hoosiers at the current exchange rate are comically expensive now and my supply of secondhand rcomps is going to run out sometime in 2016.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I switched to running an ST* class years ago, the CP car thoroughly destroyed my wallet for too many years by consuming 12" wide Hoosier slicks like they were some sort of sweet candy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I Kinda wish Direzzas were available in a wider variety of 14" sizes. They used to have a 195/60R14 (which coincidentally is my Integra's OE size) but it got shitcanned.

• Locked thread