Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Fulchrum posted:

I've watched that cartoon, and I do not remember the forced pregnancy sequence.

But the state did have control over everything the woman was to do to make more aryans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

corn in the bible posted:

Haha that's some bullshit and you know it. Show me where the rapture is literally described in the Bible bro

http://biblehub.com/psalms/104-5.htm :shrug:

The rapture isn't actually described in the Bible but that one is.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Isnt' antichrist a generic term for any person who acts contrary to christian values, and not "Bizarro Jesus who will take over the world with his armies and then have a sword fight with Jesus and then all the heathens go to hell and we go to heaven, amen" ?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

corn in the bible posted:

Haha that's some bullshit and you know it. Show me where the rapture is literally described in the Bible bro

Nobody said they believe only in what's literally written in the Bible, or that they even take the right lessons from the stories. Just that they believe every word is an actual thing that actually happened with no metaphor or room for interpretation. Doesn't preclude them throwing in all sorts of other poo poo made up after the fact on top of what's really there.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Most "biblical literalists" have never read the Bible before, at best having read random slabs of verses from throughout the whole thing with none of the context of surrounding verses applied. But Pastor Rick says the Bible says that rock and roll is the devil and so are Mexicans so that's the literal word of God!!

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Isnt' antichrist a generic term for any person who acts contrary to christian values, and not "Bizarro Jesus who will take over the world with his armies and then have a sword fight with Jesus and then all the heathens go to hell and we go to heaven, amen" ?

Both Beasts, the Harlot and the Dragon all get different attributes taken and assembled in most peoples minds as one humanoid entity instead of, well, a sea beast, a land beast, a dragon and a whore. The human entity just gets called the antichrist.

I blame Roman Polanski.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

SocketWrench posted:

This is actually quite a popular myth partially fed by propaganda from the time like Disney's Education for Death

I think he's referring to that also being one of the most inextricable positions of the Republican party.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Fulchrum posted:

Both Beasts, the Harlot and the Dragon all get different attributes taken and assembled in most peoples minds as one humanoid entity instead of, well, a sea beast, a land beast, a dragon and a whore. The human entity just gets called the antichrist.

I blame Roman Polanski.

isn't most modern american conservative christianty based on movies and poo poo. like daemons and satanism wern't a thing until Rosemary's Baby and the exorcist and dime novels.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Fulchrum posted:

I blame Roman Polanski.

So they don't believe an Iraqi prostitute is going to be riding on the back of a giant 7-headed kaiju during the End Times?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

So they don't believe an Iraqi prostitute is going to be riding on the back of a giant 7-headed kaiju during the End Times?

wasnt revelations about nero and rome or some other emperor.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

wasnt revelations about nero and rome or some other emperor.

No you Catholic Jewish un-macho Atheist it was about literally exactly what the text says and nothing more.

But yes. "666" is Hebrew numerological code for "NRO* N** KSR"
*(the O is the letter for V which depending on context is sometimes O )
**(I don't know why there's an N in there. Without the N the letters would total up to "616." Maybe the accent of 1st century Jews made them mishear Latin names and erroneously put an N in there, making it "Neron Kaiser" instead of "Nero Kaiser"?)

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 28, 2018

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dapper_Swindler posted:

isn't most modern american conservative christianty based on movies and poo poo. like daemons and satanism wern't a thing until Rosemary's Baby and the exorcist and dime novels.

You've got it a bit reversed. Some evangelical preachers and doomsayers start being all about "Satan's coming for you!!!" in like the 60s, Rosemary's Baby and poo poo comes from people reading that and going "whoa that'd be a cool rear end idea for a book/movie/etc" and writing that. And then people see those and go oh no demons and start believing again.

There's a great book on the topic of how Satan repeatedly comes up in American culture/media over time: https://www.amazon.com/Satan-America-Devil-We-Know/dp/0742561720/ref=mt_paperback?_encoding=UTF8&me=

It's called Satan in America: The Devil We Know and it starts off with a quick overview of how the early English colonists viewed Satan before they moved, then follow it up through history, including especially when the figure of Satan is used for things like politics.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

No you Catholic Jewish un-macho Atheist it was about literally exactly what the text says and nothing more.

But yes. "666" is Hebrew numerological code for "NRO* N** KSR"
*(the O is the letter for V which depending on context is sometimes O )
**(I don't know why there's an N in there. Without the N the letters would total up to "616." Maybe the accent of 1st century Jews made them mishear Latin names and erroneously put an N in there, making it "Neron Kaiser" instead of "Nero Kaiser"?)

His name is Nero in Latin and Hebrew, but in Greek and in Egyptian texts it's Neron. And since most of the early Christians by that point spoke Greek, and a lot of Greek speakers with Jewish heritage and religion had been living in Ptolomaic Egypt for centuries and many went Christian, the Neron name was very commonly used among them.

Additionally we find a lot of old Bible manuscripts that have 616 for the number, presumably from people using the different spellings.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

SocketWrench posted:

Even Jesus cursed a tree for daring to not produce fruit out of season. Go read the gospel of Thomas, Jesus was a loving rear end in a top hat in his youth

Well, maybe. I've also heard that the story about the fig tree might have been a metaphor for the Jewish people.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Crazycryodude posted:

Nobody said they believe only in what's literally written in the Bible, or that they even take the right lessons from the stories. Just that they believe every word is an actual thing that actually happened with no metaphor or room for interpretation. Doesn't preclude them throwing in all sorts of other poo poo made up after the fact on top of what's really there.

Yup. Plus the core issue is that most Biblical literalists actually have no drat idea what's actually in the Bible in the first place. This is why you have people with tattoos claiming to be literaists so we have to kill all the gays because God said so even though...uh, well...

Leviticus 19:28 posted:

Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.

And while we're on the subject of things people do commonly among hardcore evangelical communities that Leviticus says isn't ok...

Leviticus 19:27 posted:

Ye shall not round the corners of your heads, neither shalt thou mar the corners of thy beard.

Leviticus 19:33-34 posted:

And if a stranger sojourn with thee in your land, ye shall not vex him.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.

So how many of these people hate Mexican immigrants and want them to go away? I'll give you a hint: a loving lot.

Leviticus also prohibits eating pigs or touching dead ones. Not directly mind but because of the dietary rules set out pigs are not OK to nom on. There goes America's obsession with bacon and these peoples' fascination with shooting bacon at Muslims.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yup. Plus the core issue is that most Biblical literalists actually have no drat idea what's actually in the Bible in the first place. This is why you have people with tattoos claiming to be literaists so we have to kill all the gays because God said so even though...uh, well...

And while we're on the subject of things people do commonly among hardcore evangelical communities that Leviticus says isn't ok...

So how many of these people hate Mexican immigrants and want them to go away? I'll give you a hint: a loving lot.

Leviticus also prohibits eating pigs or touching dead ones. Not directly mind but because of the dietary rules set out pigs are not OK to nom on. There goes America's obsession with bacon and these peoples' fascination with shooting bacon at Muslims.

The common excuse there is "Jesus changed the rules" except Jesus said he wasn't there to do that but to reinforce them

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

SocketWrench posted:

The common excuse there is "Jesus changed the rules" except Jesus said he wasn't there to do that but to reinforce them

The rules changed which is why no one cares about the ten commandments anymore...

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
The usual excuse that's given for that, even though it's not supported anywhere in the text, is that the Law is separated into two kinds of laws, "ritualistic" and "moral." And when Jesus died on the cross, the requirement to follow the ritualistic laws went away, but the requirement to follow the moral laws remained.

So see, things like not having tattoos or not eating pork or not shaving are ritualistic laws, and therefore Christians don't have to care about those. But the one about homosexuality being wrong is a moral law and we're still obligated to follow that one.

Now again, this is based on absolutely nothing in the Bible, and in fact the Bible itself explicitly disproves the notion that the Law has that distinction, with Jesus saying that not a single jot or stroke of the pen will disappear from the Law until heaven and earth pass away (Matthew 5:18). A lot of the letters to the early churches talk at length about Christ freeing everyone from the Law, and that the Law was useful to show us that humanity is sinful and nobody is perfect enough to follow the Law perfectly, and at least twice it says outright "The entirety of the Law is 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

But, yeah, the ones who eat bacon and have tattoos and all that will claim that the prohibitions against those aren't "moral laws" that still need to be followed.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

SocketWrench posted:

Jesus also taught to be forgiving because we're all sinners. Really, the core of what Jesus taught was best summed up as "holy poo poo guys quit being so terrible to each other." The fact that Jesus said "let he among you who is without sin cast the first stone" was a huge deal as so many of the laws in Leviticus are punishable by death. Jesus was like "yeah, uh...we're all sinners. You're a sinner, I'm a sinner, let's try being more forgiving, alright?" The laws he was fine with but the punishments he considered a bit much.

Twelve by Pies posted:

But, yeah, the ones who eat bacon and have tattoos and all that will claim that the prohibitions against those aren't "moral laws" that still need to be followed.

I can't help but laugh at how much of Biblical Literalism is basically "it's 100% true*."

* except the parts I don't like

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Why do you think that biblical literalists keep trying to claim that those who actually help the poor, care for others, and all of that, are "Cafeteria christians", and ignore the really important stuff? Its all just pure projection, all the way down.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Fulchrum posted:

Why do you think that biblical literalists keep trying to claim that those who actually help the poor, care for others, and all of that, are "Cafeteria christians", and ignore the really important stuff? Its all just pure projection, all the way down.

Calvinism and the prosperity doctrine. God decides who should and should not be wealthy so if you help the poor you're defying His will by making them be less poor.

...while simultaneously screaming that it's their own drat fault they're poor. These are not logical people.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I can't help but laugh at how much of Biblical Literalism is basically "it's 100% true*."

* except the parts my minister didn't read to me

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

I've had the occasional kid ask in class what about the creation story in Genesis. So I reply, "Which one?" They look stunned when I say there are two creation stories there, and that they don't agree with each other.

From my experience, very few evangelicals actually have read the bible, preferring it to be administered in part, pre-digested and pre-explained.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Here's how you can get into the Literalist Kingdom of Heaven: ask a woman to mix flour with leaven. Then cover yourself in the leavened flour. Congratulations, you now are in Literalist Heaven. (Luke 13:20–21)

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

MrUnderbridge posted:

I've had the occasional kid ask in class what about the creation story in Genesis. So I reply, "Which one?" They look stunned when I say there are two creation stories there, and that they don't agree with each other.

From my experience, very few evangelicals actually have read the bible, preferring it to be administered in part, pre-digested and pre-explained.

Which bible version and what interpretation of it? I mean it might seem facetious or obnoxious or whatever but Christianity encompasses so many different ideas that you can't meaningfully discuss it without narrowing it down. You should always start a discussion by defining terms anyway.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Jesus also taught to be forgiving because we're all sinners. Really, the core of what Jesus taught was best summed up as "holy poo poo guys quit being so terrible to each other." The fact that Jesus said "let he among you who is without sin cast the first stone" was a huge deal as so many of the laws in Leviticus are punishable by death. Jesus was like "yeah, uh...we're all sinners. You're a sinner, I'm a sinner, let's try being more forgiving, alright?" The laws he was fine with but the punishments he considered a bit much.]

The core of his teaching was more "gently caress Rome, gently caress Romans!" He* was executed for treason, after all. The peace and love stuff got written in later to temper him and make him more acceptable to Romans/Gentiles after the destruction of the Temple.**

* If he actually existed, which probably, although there's an interesting minority position that he didn't, and is more a composite character of Jewish radicals at the time.

** Try telling a literalist that nobody who wrote the Gospels actually met Jesus.

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

Gonna be tough to recover from this one, feminists.

quote:

Setback for feminists: broadcaster Mike Schmidt, the greatest third-baseman ever, cracks several jokes at their expense. [3]

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Tougher break for Alex Rodriguez, who has apparently been removed from history.

Biscats n Gravy
Jun 13, 2018

Smile.
[timg]https://imgur.com/a/bMTvF1X][/timg]
http://www.conservativenewsandviews.com/2018/06/13/education/chromebooks-humanitarian-hoax-27/

Comrade Google is indoctrinating our children. God drat Democrat Liberal Satanists and their Chairman Mao.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

quote:

Google’s “personalized” curricula covertly guides the high flyers toward leadership positions ... Customized content for average students guide them toward skilled labor career pathways of welding, plumbing, and agriculture. Low performers are steered into computer programs where ... they will become manual laborers.
That sounds exactly like the Tripartite System that Conservatives love and keep wanting to go back to.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Conservapedia can't decide what it thinks of Alex Jones.

(their list of conspiracy theories is interesting)

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Do they have anything on Q or pizzagate yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Fulchrum posted:

Do they have anything on Q or pizzagate yet?

Again, they can't decide if it's risible or deadly serious.

talk p*zzag*te posted:

Why is this article on the front page? It's the same nonsense Oprah used to spout about McMartin Preschool back in the 1980s -- recycled for 2016. PeterKa (talk) 19:37, 17 April 2017 (EDT)

Because it makes Democrats look bad.

• Locked thread