Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Velvet Sparrow posted:

EDIT: OMG GOONS ROCK! You know what you did...I'm funded, I'm funded!!! Huge love to you all, including the mods--but especially Tiny Myers for placing the banner ad for me! :lovebird:

Hooray!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Once on a muddy winter day I put on my nasty, ratty old yard sneakers to go out back and let the chickens out.
Later when I got to the office, I realized I'd forgotten to change my shoes.
I was wearing a dress.
Had to keep my feet hidden under my desk until I could go out at lunchtime and buy a pair of heels to wear. :bravo:

EDIT: OMG GOONS ROCK! You know what you did...I'm funded, I'm funded!!! Huge love to you all, including the mods--but especially Tiny Myers for placing the banner ad for me! :lovebird:

Also, here is this week's Brahma 'Dogpile On The Kid' (Bobbie the Head Roo, Chonk the light Brahma hen, and Arson the dark Brahma mix):

Charlotte was late to the party.

congratulations! those are some beautiful birds

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Congratulations! 🎉👏

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Anyone have a coop they would recommend for 4 chickens? Amazon reviews of every single coop seem... bleak. And every one that's listed as being appropriate for 4 chickens has review after review saying it's too small for 4. The chickens will have access to a 16x8 covered/screened in area, and my plan is to attach the coop to that area.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Slugworth posted:

Anyone have a coop they would recommend for 4 chickens?

I have this one:

https://www.chickencoopsdirect.com/sussex-chicken-house-with-run

And we have four chickens. So far, we haven’t had any predators getting into it, and it’s quite easy to keep clean.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Has anyone tried these?

https://nestera.us/pages/chicken-coops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

I haven’t but there’s a YouTube channel that I like that has. https://youtu.be/1rcbHhCIO40?si=CGaocuQma64Q-Auc

They breed orpingtons, so you can get an idea about how big chickens fit in there. They have mild weather though so their chickens hardly ever have to spend the day in the coop due to storms. Just looking at the coops they don’t have nearly enough ventilation for my liking, but they might be ok with a battery powered fan.

Slugworth posted:

Anyone have a coop they would recommend for 4 chickens? Amazon reviews of every single coop seem... bleak. And every one that's listed as being appropriate for 4 chickens has review after review saying it's too small for 4. The chickens will have access to a 16x8 covered/screened in area, and my plan is to attach the coop to that area.

I have a couple of those tiny store-bought coops and my chickens don’t use them except to lay eggs in. They much prefer the converted sheds.

If you can find a used shed or cheap new plastic shed that would be better than most of the coops available and you can cut in as much ventilation as you want.

The rule of thumb is no less than 4sqft per chicken in the coop and no less than 10sqft per chicken in the run. I think the coop manufactures spent too much time looking at battery cages and decided their coops were way better than those so that was good enough. Coop size really depends on your climate, your breed/s, and how often you clean them so you can get by with smaller but bigger is better.

Also those store bought coops don’t have enough ventilation windows. 1sqft per chicken is the gold standard. Obv if it is always windy or you add fans you can get by with less.