Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
I assume they were reluctant to change something that's been in the game since beta. I agree that wolf AI updates would be a bigger deal, especially if they want players to bother with getting armor for them.

Edit:

ellie the beep posted:

people seem really heated up about this addition! it would be cool if someone were to take their outrage and channel it into some sort of technical mod full of what you wish was in the update instead, maybe call it 'superior to canids'...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

FPzero posted:

I believe in recent snapshots the dogs now have double health and the armor completely negates all damage the dog takes until the armor's durability depletes.

Yeah, PhoenixSC posted a video about the snapshot with a pack of armored dogs taking down a Warden.

Kind of looking forward to resurrecting Dogfleet and having it be actually useful instead of just amusing.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I don't want to develop for Minecraft, I want MOJANG to develop for Minecraft.

mutata fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Mar 9, 2024

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Look they've got several new palettes for wolves and a new slight variation on Drowned for swamps, in only like 6 months. What the hell miracles do you want? Gamers :rolleyes:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

mutata posted:

I don't want to develop for Minecraft, I want MOJANG to develop for Minecraft.

They also have bedrock add-ons that do really cool stuff, things I haven't even seen in modded Minecraft... And then they lock it forever to one specific map and world to be played only that one way. No way to ever add the cool stuff to your world to toy with. Even with the cool rtx mod packs were locked to the Nvidia worlds.

Mykroft
Aug 25, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Khanstant posted:

They also have bedrock add-ons that do really cool stuff, things I haven't even seen in modded Minecraft... And then they lock it forever to one specific map and world to be played only that one way. No way to ever add the cool stuff to your world to toy with. Even with the cool rtx mod packs were locked to the Nvidia worlds.

In theory folks can start putting the add-ons themselves in the marketplace instead of it being a part of the map now: https://www.minecraft.net/en-us/article/introducing-add-ons

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I recently started a fresh world so that I could start making use of the new crafters. Must say that I'm overall impressed by them and currently have a pair attached to my bamboo farm to form logs and then into planks which are then fed into my smelters. I left my game afk so that I could fill the system but a spider got into the farm, died and then blocked the crafter leading to a massive back up of the system. Next I will add one onto my iron farm so I can just go and collect iron blocks

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

ellie the beep posted:

people seem really heated up about this addition! it would be cool if someone were to take their outrage and channel it into some sort of technical mod full of what you wish was in the update instead, maybe call it 'superior to canids'...

That's a name I haven't heard in ages...

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Hooray for microtransactions.
Minecraft Pass only $3.99/month.

https://www.minecraft.net/sv-se/article/say-hello-marketplace-pass
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpVHMcLHZoA

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Mykroft posted:

In theory folks can start putting the add-ons themselves in the marketplace instead of it being a part of the map now: https://www.minecraft.net/en-us/article/introducing-add-ons

Whoa! Is this a new thing, have I been missing it all this time and cursing Microsoft?

Mykroft
Aug 25, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Khanstant posted:

Whoa! Is this a new thing, have I been missing it all this time and cursing Microsoft?

The article is dated 2/20 from this year, so it’s very new

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I know it gets said a lot but every day I'm more and more an old man bitter about Minecraft's track record. 14 years on and still making money hand over fist, I guess they haven't felt the need to go far on updates if it's printing money either way.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Happy 11th birthday to my minecraft world. :toot:

outside:

inside:

anyway, enjoy some farms:
froglamp:

enderman:

iron golem:

bamboo and string:

cactus:

i've started at least five other worlds in the years between, but always end up coming back to this one.

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

wyoming posted:

Happy 11th birthday to my minecraft world. :toot:

That is amazing you've kept it up for so long! I like your cactus boat :)

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I think this may be the biggest content update in the history of Minecraft, all for an April Fools joke, none of which will get put into the game.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

pseudorandom name posted:

I think this may be the biggest content update in the history of Minecraft, all for an April Fools joke, none of which will get put into the game.

Jesus Christ, you aren't kidding
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_VWNUJ3bEs

It just kinda reinforces the feelings so many of us have about the game. Mojang could very easily add so much new content that would actually be fun to explore, harvest, craft, build with, etc. It's so easy, they can throw a metric shitton of it into a joke (much of which I would be THRILLED to have stick around). But instead, we have to wait months and even years for promised updates that are a fraction of what's put into this.

I would take a dozen new blocks over dog armor and trial chambers.

Edit: THEY PUT IN A loving FUNCTIONAL GRAPPLING HOOK FOR A JOKE?

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 2, 2024

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Angel Blocks, as a joke. Cursed Earth, as a joke. A way to craft Elytra, as a joke. A kind of weak form of Create Contraptions, as a joke.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Probably cause they don't have to go through tons of design and QA iterations because it's not supposed to be permanent (or indeed, an official version), so they can get away with a lot more.

Still, not a good look if you're not thinking about that.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I have to assume that part of the reason we don't get huge content-filled updates to the main game every update has to do with maintaining parity across java, bedrock, and all the different bedrock editions running on phones and consoles, requiring every change or addition to get tested across at least 6-8 different ecosystems to make sure it all works properly. But even that doesn't explain why we can't just get tons more decorative blocks on the regular with every update. We get some but nowhere near as many as people would like. Hell, even that Potone texture looks pretty nice and would be a good earthy addition.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Bog standard megacorporate dysfunction and paralysis, right.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

pseudorandom name posted:

Angel Blocks, as a joke. Cursed Earth, as a joke. A way to craft Elytra, as a joke. A kind of weak form of Create Contraptions, as a joke.
And turrets, auto-grinders, and a handful of others.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
It's been 6 years since fletching tables were added to the game, and they still haven't figured out what to do with them.

It's also been six years since we were told that updates to Desert and Savannah biomes would one day happen. 5 years for Badlands.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
A very large part of why I ended up starting a new world and adding in the experimental features was so that I could get access to both the new tuff blocks which look great and the auto crafter which has made a massive difference to farms cause I no longer have to craft poo poo into blocks.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Jamesman posted:

It's been 6 years since fletching tables were added to the game
Jesus Christ, has it? Feels like the village overhaul wasn't that long ago but then I remember that one Japanese blind-LPer using the new stations so obviously it was.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Just Andi Now posted:

Probably cause they don't have to go through tons of design and QA iterations because it's not supposed to be permanent (or indeed, an official version), so they can get away with a lot more.

Still, not a good look if you're not thinking about that.

It's not like a magic geas that forces them to have to be this "careful" if that is even the problem. I really think it's a bogeyman and one they could change if it were the problem.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

I've been waiting since it was still Notch's solo game for a proper sky island dimension in the main game. It's been teased countless times with the generator being enabled and disabled in custom world gen and here it is in a potato-themed april fools fake update. And they still have people vote on a single mob to implement. Holy hell.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Looks like someone has a little something brewing, and started a new (solo) game dev company

https://twitter.com/notch/status/1775233983791731084

And yes, it is a voxel game

https://twitter.com/notch/status/1774556385424162837

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 3, 2024

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
more like shitbitch

notch should stay gone

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

The Minecraft devs even taking the time to add individual mobs to the game seems completely wild to me when modders can easily do that, at a ridiculously faster pace. Like, you added one cute little critter? Some nerds with a discord added a couple hundred pokemon but I guess yours is cool too. Like, why even bother. Must be kind of depressing to be honest.

I guess they have to account for selling the game to some enormous "will never install mods" demographic, but you'd think they'd have like one guy copying all the most popular QoL/UI improvement mods but otherwise dedicate all their resources to, like, higher-level more abstract poo poo that individual mods can't really do that well.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

more like shitbitch

notch should stay gone

^
Is he still a X (formerly known as twitter) warrior that posts none-stop about alt-right stuff about race and other pleasant things?

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 3, 2024

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

^
Is he still a X (formerly known as twitter) warrior that posts none-stop about alt-right stuff about race and other pleasant things?

As far as I know.

I remember something about someone trying to make a deal with Notch to permanently leave Twitter in exchange for something, but Notch couldn't keep himself away.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
lmao his new game looks exactly like his old game he was gonna make in 2011 or whatever, 13 years later and nothing to show.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Vib Rib posted:

lmao his new game looks exactly like his old game he was gonna make in 2011 or whatever, 13 years later and nothing to show.

Sounds like Hytale.

This genre is cursed.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Webbeh posted:

Sounds like Hytale.

This genre is cursed.
Hey now, didn't you read Hytale's progress report? After a year's worth of concerted effort on the new engine, they've got the basics of movement and combat down! Wow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
New sounds.
Not available yet though, have to sign up to get them when they are.
I tried on both Amazon and YT, but the account linking seemed kinda sketchy.

https://twitter.com/Minecraft/status/1781055627281760275